Gibson Brands Forums

'92 Les Paul 1960 Classic Plus

Jeff_C

The volume pots on this guitar are 'bleeding through' when set to 0 and we would like to replace them them with exact vintage (or so to speak) replacements (if possible) and I am not sure what these are besides the current pot as long-shaft '92 CTS pots produced on the 35th week of that year.

Any further insights would be appreciated.

92_LesPaulClassic6.jpg

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi there, Jeff, and welcome.

I'm not sure what it is you don't know?

From what you have written, if they are stamped (as I suspect they are) R13792035 then they were made by CTS in, as you say, the 35th week of 1992. But I suspect you already know this.

They will also have a second series of numbers like this; 440 710794 (that sequence is from my own '91 '1960 Classic').

The '440' signifies they are 500k - not 440k - units; 710 would seem to be the part number and 794 seems to signify 'rotational, with a linear-taper'.

Hope this helps slightly.

If not then post the numbers you have as best you can and we'll have another try!

P.

Hi there, Jeff, and welcome.

I'm not sure what it is you don't know?

From what you have written, if they are stamped (as I suspect they are) R13792035 then they were made by CTS in, as you say, the 35th week of 1992. But I suspect you already know this.

They will also have a second series of numbers like this; 440 710794 (that sequence is from my own '91 '1960 Classic').

The '440' signifies they are 500k - not 440k - units; 710 would seem to be the part number and 794 seems to signify 'rotational, with a linear-taper'.

Hope this helps slightly.

If not then post the numbers you have as best you can and we'll have another try!

Thanks,

Jeffrey

P.

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking specifically for the specs of the volume pots. The short story is that we swapped out both pots (because of bleed through at 0) with current Gibson 500 Ohm pots and it drastically changed the tone and behavior of the guitar (so we put them back in for now) and now I am looking for the proper replacements.

I think the numbers you provided will be helpful. However, I have been told by numerous ppl that my guitar (and other Les Pauls) has 300 Ohm linear volume pots. and I think I saw a 440 in there...I wonder what the number would be for 300 ohm pots?

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking specifically for the specs of the volume pots. The short story is that we swapped out both pots (because of bleed through at 0) with current Gibson 500 Ohm pots and it drastically changed the tone and behavior of the guitar (so we put them back in for now) and now I am looking for the proper replacements.

I think the numbers you provided will be helpful. However, I have been told by numerous ppl that my guitar (and other Les Pauls) has 300 Ohm linear volume pots. and I think I saw a 440 in there...I wonder what the number would be for 300 ohm pots?

I'm not an expert on pots by any stretch of the imagination but the 440 - 500k reference was from a pot manufacturer's own website. It may be wrong - I simply don't know!

I, too, thought they should have been 300k but that's not what I turned up...

All the info I gathered was when I was trying to find out exactly what was in my '91 last year. I Googled as much info as I could and that's what came out.

I'm pretty certain the ones in mine are all the originals as the guitar was bought as New Old Stock - it had lain unsold in a dealership and, on the death of the owner of the shop, came (eventually) to be mine.

What numbers are on yours? On mine all four pots are identically numbered. Vol and Tone are identical - and therefore swappable!...

If you could post the numbers you have on both Vol and Tone (and the new replacement) I'll try again!

I'm very curious to know in what way the Gibson 500k pots changed the tone. Could you expand on that, please? I have a second 'Classic' whose sound could be bettered and a 'pot-swap' is very much in my mind...

P.

I'm not an expert on pots by any stretch of the imagination but the 440 - 500k reference was from a pot manufacturer's own website. It may be wrong - I simply don't know!

I, too, thought they should have been 300k but that's not what I turned up...

All the info I gathered was when I was trying to find out exactly what was in my '91 last year. I Googled as much info as I could and that's what came out.

I'm pretty certain the ones in mine are all the originals as the guitar was bought as New Old Stock - it had lain unsold in a dealership and, on the death of the owner of the shop, came (eventually) to be mine.

What numbers are on yours? On mine all four pots are identically numbered. Vol and Tone are identical - and therefore swappable!...

If you could post the numbers you have on both Vol and Tone (and the new replacement) I'll try again!

I'm very curious to know in what way the Gibson 500k pots changed the tone. Could you expand on that, please? I have a second 'Classic' whose sound could be bettered and a 'pot-swap' is very much in my mind...

P.

I think numbers on mine only differ by the week of manufacture.

I'll have to check them out tonight.

as for the sound impact...I'll do my best here because I am not the player. My son is. But I could hear the difference. First of all the taper was clearly different. He plays through a Marshall VM head and it is very sensitive to changes of the vol pot to change the gain while playing and with the new pots he could not control the gain in the same way. That was obvious. What was also obvious was that the new pots made the guitar much more 'bright'. So couple the brightness with the lack of gain we ended up with a much 'thinner' (my word) sounding Les Paul. It actually sounded much more like his 2010 Les Paul Custom and one of things he liked about the 1992 LP Classic Plus was the deeper tone and the 'gritter' gain.

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

...as for the sound impact...I'll do my best here because I am not the player. My son is. But I could hear the difference. First of all the taper was clearly different. He plays through a Marshall VM head and it is very sensitive to changes of the vol pot to change the gain while playing and with the new pots he could not control the gain in the same way. That was obvious. What was also obvious was that the new pots made the guitar much more 'bright'. So couple the brightness with the lack of gain we ended up with a much 'thinner' (my word) sounding Les Paul. It actually sounded much more like his 2010 Les Paul Custom and one of things he liked about the 1992 LP Classic Plus was the deeper tone and the 'gritter' gain.

Could your new pots are 'audio taper'? These work in a slightly different manner where the last 1/10th of a turn can make a huge difference.

Just a guess, again!

P.

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Could your new pots are 'audio taper'? These work in a slightly different manner where the last 1/10th of a turn can make a huge difference.

Just a guess, again!

P.

Yes. I believe the new pots were audio taper. At the time I didn't know there was a difference.

Archived