Gibson Brands Forums

Simon and Garfunkel appreciation thread

heymisterk

Pure genius!

Paul's melody and lyrics are arguably some of the greatest in American music history. Some of the most powerful and moving songs ever written. He is in my top 5 songwriters of all time and I have all his work both with Art and solo on CD.

How can you not be amazed looking at his catalog of songs and with Artie's amazing voice simply beautiful work that stands the test of time.

msp_thumbup.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky57Jo3-BaU

Simon's fingerpicking style took my guitar playing in a whole 'nother direction and - partly because of his songs - I became more focused on being a good acoustic player than a good electric player. That was good; got me into my first gigging band. We used to do Scarborough Fair as one of our regular songs. I second what Cookieman said: pure genius. The songs of S&G move me like almost no other songs can. The emotions that come through are palpable.

Huge fan for years. Saw Simon in concert mid '90's or so. Great show.

Cookieman is right. He's pure genius. Songwriters with that kind of gift are special. The Boxer is definitely one of my top 5 S&G songs of all time, although just for the fun of it, the "You Can Call Me Al" video with Chevy Chase is just classic! [thumbup]

Paul Simon was also the first to be awarded the Gershwin Lifetime Achievement for his body of work. #2 was Stevie Wonder, #3 was Macca. Not bad company. If you see that show on PBS or whatever, it's a must see with some of the industry's best doing Paul's songs.

I love S&G. I used to play Scarborough Fair to get my son to go to sleep when he was a baby.

I know this one has no Garfunkle, but it's a great one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57RIlznOpDM

"Then I learned to play some lead guitar, I was underage in this funky bar

And I stepped outside to smoke myself a j

When I come back to the room, everybody just seemed to move

And I turned my amp up loud and I began to play

It was late in the evening, and I blew that room away" [thumbup]

It's hard to select a favorite amongst S&G's compositions. It might be easier to enumerate the song I do not like. But, I haven't found it yet.

"Homeward Bound" is one of the songs I serenaded the future Mrs. TommyK with.

"The Sounds of Silence" will always hold a special place in my heart.

Speaking of "Mamma don't take my Kodachrome away" On December 31, 2010 Dwayne's Photo of Parsons, Kansas, the last Kodachrome processor in the world accepted it's last roll of Kodachrome slide film for processing. http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

You can buy the shirt if you like. It makes reference to S&G.

Archived