Gibson Brands Forums

Martins Tribute to The Gibson AJ and J45

george black

THIS IS A REPLY TO PONTY'S POST IN THE GIBSON LOUNGE FORUM:

You are not alone in your opinion of the headstock. There are many who are up in arms about the way it looks.

Time will tell how they are received, but it does seem to be a consensus that they sound pretty nice.

From the lounge.

To be honest, I nearly asked Wileyoldfool to post the CEO6 in the ugly guitars of 11 section.

I think the logo on the new Martin is a very bold step for Martin, and very ugly too.

It is way off traditional. I thought the raised gold logo in 1994 was bad enough!

As far as a tribute to the j-45 goes, I don't think it is. It is merely Martins attempt

to lure would be j-45 buyers to there side.

If I want Gibson I,ll buy a Gibson and likewise for Martin.

Still, least Martin do bring out a lot of new acoustic guitars, unlike Gibson!

http://elderly.com/images/new_instruments/10N/CEO6_headstock.jpg

Martin has introduced their 2011 models and the CEO6... It is the Martin Tribute to the Gibson. ...

I think the logo on the new Martin is a very bold step for Martin, and very ugly too.

CEO6_headstock.jpg

Do not blame me for calling it a Martin Tribute. That is what CF Martin the CEO of CF Martin and company called it on the presentation video. ...

As anybody got the straight and coherent story ? . . . Fact ? . . . Fiction ? . . . :rolleyes:

What do you mean by fact or fiction? CF Martin posted a video that explained the CEO6.He explained that it was his idea and it was a tribute to a major competitor. That my friend is a FACT.

Now whether it is ugly of beautiful is nothing to do with fact that is to do with opinion. I do not see any claims I made about this guitar either good or bad.

I wonder why such a defensive stance right out of the blue?

The headstock really looks more like a Collings headstock than a Gibson headstock. I guess Martin is just getting even for the GIBSON J-60 "BONECRUSHER"....LOL. I MUST ADMIT THAT SEEING THE GIBSON/MARTIN HEADSTOCK IS SO STRANGE LOOKING, COMPARED TO THE BEAUTIFUL CLASSIC MARTIN HEADSTOCK, THAT IT DOES STRIKE ME AS UGLY TOO.

CF Martin posted a video that explained the CEO6. ...

Yeah, yeah, there's a video posted of Santa goin' down a chimney. There's a lot of talk.

Post a link to the video or pipe down.

As I said in the Lounge, it looks like a run of the mill sloped Martin dread with a cheesy burst . . . . . not a Gibson guitar tribute.

CEO-620Sunburst_f.jpg

So you are suggesting there is no link. I would post it for you but since you accuse me of making all this up you can find it yourself. As for piping down, what have I done to offend you except enlighten you to a very interesting new guitar on the market. As for me I do not care how they look because I look at guitars with my ears.

I am not really wanting to cause any problems for you. The link will eventually get posted by someone. The guitar will be played by many people who love both Gibson and Martin.

The reports will come in as to how it sounds and there not much Santa Clause can do about that now.

... what have I done to offend you... ...

You haven't offended me.

This model may sound great, I've made no comment about that. But when word is CF Martin himself said he's made a Gibson Tribute, I gotta take it with a large grain of salt, because I haven't seen the video, and I haven't found a link to one. And the piping down comment - no ill, but you've got two threads going on this subject, one in the Lounge and one here.

BTW, I've got no knocks to Martin (except their bursts). I've owned a few - currently I've got a 98 D-45 VR.

Thanks Guth -

In that video, CF Martin said it's a copy - "a Martin version of someone else's iconic guitar design". He never called it a tribute. Nor did he ever utter the word "Gibson". So, George, according to

, it's not CF Martin's tribute to Gibson. It's simply Martin going after another iconic guitar company's market. Business as usual. B)

Yes, that is true. He did not use the word Gibson. I may be wrong but I was thinking he used the words, Tribute to a competitor.

Sorry, if I caused any problem here. I hope there will be some who receive the information that I provided as it was intended. Just information. I wish now I had let someone else make the post about this Guitar. Maybe they would have done it differently. It is best I back off this thread and good luck to all.

Again I love both Martin and Gibson and desire they both produce guitars to the best of their ability. Competition will make for better guitars.

I think it looks a bit odd this martin j45. Like a chinese me-too version of it. But still I am rather curious how it would sound. Does it have the j45 looks but does it sound like a traditional martin? Or is it a more gibsonesque sound?

I met Chris Martin in 2001. He is a very normal every day kind of person. He is a guitar person and being a guitar person he knows that the round shoulder guitar is a great instrument. But this is not the first round shoulder Martin.I think the Martin Sunburst is not as nice as a Gibson. Too much contrast between the two colors.Way too black and yellow. Gibson has a better fade from one color to the other more of what is the Burst factor. I really like Martins But have 6- Gibsons to 3 Martins and if i ever get another Guitar it would probably be Gibson small body or Santa Cruz 00-1929

Archived