Gibson Brands Forums

"Artist" signature series Guitar controversy.......

onewilyfool

I wonder when they're going to come out with a Gilliangirl model? [biggrin][laugh]

Seriously tho' we played an L200 a few years back at Music Villa and my friend Roxanne came sooooo close to buying it. She didn't, and then regretted it. I say if it sounds good, why wouldn't you?

Anne, didn't you say awhile back that you had the privilege of meeting ELH? I've heard she's very down-to-earth. There's a YouTube video somewhere of her accepting her signature guitar. She really doesn't realize how great she is!

The whole thing is a non-issue to me. Yes, you'll pay more. But if the guitar is what you want, why not?

Iamgreg, those pictures are incredible!

The braindead censoring software broke the link too! To get to the page, click on the link but then change the URL from "****-boak" to "dick-boak".

-- Bob R

Well, at least we dont ave to worry about **** Nixon being kicked around on the forum anymore.

Anne, didn't you say awhile back that you had the privilege of meeting ELH? I've heard she's very down-to-earth. There's a YouTube video somewhere of her accepting her signature guitar. She really doesn't realize how great she is!

Yup, had a few moments with the gracious lady last November and asked if I'd ever get to hear her sing "Norfolk," which she wrote long ago (and which was covered by Starland Vocal Band). She seemed suprised, then laughed and said "no, probably not" and that I was probably the only person who remembered that song. (Whereupon I reminded her that there are lots of us liner-note readers, still roaming the streets.)

In 2001, I took my then-eight-year-old daughter to an ELH concert in Dallas. (She was mesmerized by "Michealangelo," from Red Dirt Girl, which was playing constantly in my car those days). Early on the day of the concert, my daughter announced "I want to meet her." ??

So she drew a picture of a dog, having decided she was most likely a dog-lover (which is uncanny, given the work ELH does in that field) and gave the picture to Ms. Harris, saying "I know people probably always want your autograph and stuff, so I thought I would just give you something from me instead."

Sweet times.

proof

Yup, had a few moments with the gracious lady last November and asked if I'd ever get to hear her sing "Norfolk," which she wrote long ago (and which was covered by Starland Vocal Band). She seemed suprised, then laughed and said "no, probably not" and that I was probably the only person who remembered that song. (Whereupon I reminded her that there are lots of us liner-note readers, still roaming the streets.)

In 2001, I took my then-eight-year-old daughter to an ELH concert in Dallas. (She was mesmerized by "Michealangelo," from Red Dirt Girl, which was playing constantly in my car those days). Early on the day of the concert, my daughter announced "I want to meet her." ??

So she drew a picture of a dog, having decided she was most likely a dog-lover (which is uncanny, given the work ELH does in that field) and gave the picture to Ms. Harris, saying "I know people probably always want your autograph and stuff, so I thought I would just give you something from me instead."

Sweet times.

proof

That's such an incredible story! Wow! Does your daughter play guitar? Yet? Red Dirt Girl is my favourite album of ELH's, and I've read the liner-notes from that one more than a few times. [biggrin] What a great picture that is of Katie and ELH! A real treasure! And how thoughtful to 'give back' like that. I think ELH does rescue work with dogs. She and Loretta Lynn and ........ rats, can't think of the other person. Dolly??!!

Anyway, great story. Doesn't ELH look gorgeous in that photo? And Katie is adorable. [smile]

When I bought my J-45 I traveled around my area and because I live in a almost big city there were quite a few J-45's available. I played them all.I am of the philosophy that signature guitars are a purely marketing ploy and some manufacturers are very good at it. I wound up buying a J-45 Std=nothing fancy, not breathed on by Leo Kottke-just a plain old MC and it was the best sounding,easiest to play,etc. I still own it and it is a delightful instrument.I buy my guitars based on comfort and sound-and I have a winner. After I had a real guitar guy make some adjustments,string height and truss adj and put a set of john pearce 13's on it it will rival any acoustic in the world-and its paid for!

Archived