Gibson Brands Forums

String gauge change

hiawatha

Yes. The intonation points will be different for different string gauges, and in fact for different brands of the same gauge on the wound strings.

The Out Of the Box height on the set-up is probably more than high enough for .009" string set. This represents about an 11% reduction in string tension so the truss rod will also need adjustment. You can learn how to do your own truss rod adjustments, and I strongly recommend all players do so, but if you have never done it before I suggest that this time you take it to a pro. Later you can make the little adjustments needed to account for the changes of season, but for a string gauge change experience is needed: Breaking a string is one thing, breaking a truss rod is something to be avoided.

Yes. The intonation points will be different for different string gauges, and in fact for different brands of the same gauge on the wound strings. ...the truss rod will also need adjustment. ...

+1

Learn to check your neck relief before messing with your truss rod; or as Bolide says, take it to a pro.

The intonation may change a tad, but I think the main difference will be the lower tension of the 9's will allow your neck to straighten, reducing it's relief. If you make the switch and the guitar still plays and sounds fine, you are good to go! If not, it will only be very minor tweaks required to get the action back to "normal". :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived