Gibson Brands Forums

Ricky Gervais' comedic attack at The Golden Globes

Duende

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree i can't stand him either, but he and frankie are two totally different comedians (i love mr boyle) [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10dGpZcihMQ&feature=player_embedded

Holy ****, i joke not. I can not understand what hes saying...and both my parents have heavy accents from different countries. [crying]

I think i found my stooping point...

I'm glad you posted this, Matt. I can't sit through award shows usually, so I did not watch it. I was wondering

how he went over. I figured he'd ruffle a few feathers.I thought it was hilarious! I LOL'd a couple of times. [thumbup]

Did you ever see him on the series Extras? Freakin' hilarious.

I just think the idea of these comedians hosting these awards shows and making a bunch of over the top jokes is just really tired. Its just getting old. Being "over the top" has become the standardized Hollywood awards show emcee way of hosting these things. Like a lot of Hollywood, its just the SOS.

Good comedy happens when the comedian tells jokes from the standpoint of the audience. The TV audience - not the lapel brushers in the live audience.

Good job they didn't book Frankie Boyle.

Now that would have been worth watching. He'd have been summarily deported.

Not a huge fan of RG but if Hollywood can't have at laugh at their own expenses (which most clearly can) then that's very sad. The primadonnas deserve to have the pee taken.

Loved the clip.

I just think the idea of these comedians hosting these awards shows and making a bunch of over the top jokes is just really tired. Its just getting old. Being "over the top" has become the standardized Hollywood awards show emcee way of hosting these things. Like a lot of Hollywood, its just the SOS.

Good comedy happens when the comedian tells jokes from the standpoint of the audience. The TV audience - not the lapel brushers in the live audience.

The awards are over the top...how many awards do these people need? They already have more money then they know what to do with, they already have fame, big houses cars, waiters butlers and someone to walk their dogs and raise their kids and they can pretty much get away with what ever they choose to...

I don't watch these shows, but I think it's great when somebody tweaks them a bit...they need someone to bring them down to earth once in a while..

There used to be two awards for actors, one for film and one for Broadway, and one for music. Today we have enough of these awards shows they could start they own network!

The Award Network, see pampered stars tell each other how wonderful they are 24/7..

Very poor taste - the show is to honor and celebrate these stars so why get a mc to come out and take cheap shot's. I think Gervais was funny for about five minutes in the original Night a the Museum movie other than that he's just lame.

I have seen Gervais twice now in short comedy concerts as part of a very large trade show that hires big time comics to entertain the guests during a dinner, the shows were two years apart and Gervais got up and he did the exact same show same Same jokes even the same order of jokes with the same fake little giggles when the crowd started getting nasty realizing that he had changed nothing on his show and was performing it identically to a group where probably 90% of the crowd had been present the first time. The only funny part of the whole show was the end when he came out into the crowd and offered to do some autographs and basically nobody wanted them so he got pissy and ran off.

The only comedy show I have seen that was worse was Adam Sandler about 10 years ago. he was a mystery guest that just showed up so the crowd was going crazy until he started. He was so bad he actually got booed off the stage at a comedy show. It was in Los Angeles and he started the show by apologizing saying it had been quite a while since he performed live so he might really suck! Well he sure did was so bad he couldn't even finish a joke he actually looked and spoke like he had a head injury.

I thought he was great [thumbup] ... and easy to watch.... I didn't cringe once. [confused]

It's not too often these days a comedian walks on stage without cursing through half of his act..... Comedians that constantly curse bore me

Yeah, I agree. What I don't like about most comics today is their ****in' foul mouths.

Thought it was funny and just fine. Gotta have thick skin to be a celebrity, comes with the territory. Someone jokes about you and people talk - just more publicity, usually a good thing for your bottom line.

Archived