Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul's are sissy guitars

djroge1

at the risk of being slapped down.. I'm not a huge les paul fan. Like strats, i got bored seeing their shape. Yes great tone etc,and i can appreciate a nice maple finish and quality but i find them heavy and quite unexciting. I prefer my sg and my telecaster.

As for brad paisley... Superb artist, one of my favorites just now.

I was reading an interview in Guitar player magazine and came across that quote - Les Paul's are sissy guitars. Well ok, I'm not looking at it to give a direct quote.

To keep it in context Jeff Beck was saying that the LP was easier to play because they don't have a floating bridge. I just thought it was an interesting point.

well me being a loser i guess my opinion doesn't mean much but...i can't think of anything more manly than a black lp custom hanging around ya neck B)

Jeff Beck...swell guitarist, but I wouldn't dare treat him (or anybody) as an authority on the subject. I trust my own sensibilities first, and if he wants to think the Les Paul is a sissy guitar (and of course, I'm taking his comment out of context) then that's his prerogative.

I say, when I can scrape up the money, I'm going to buy one of those expensive, high-class Lesters, and I'm going to play it hard. I'm not going to listen to the little voice in my head that says it's too nice to play out with. I'm not going to think about the idea that they're collectors' guitars. Because **** that. :)

Jeff Beck must have been a sissy for many years, having played a Les Paul in the Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group and his solo work up until 1975.

In the interview where he said that he was talking about when he met Jimi. Jeff at the time was playing an LP and Hendrix made a comment about the rubber band strings.

It really is a great interview. He has some great points about small amps too.

and randy rhoads? [biggrin]

Randy saved Ozzy's career, especially considering Sabbaths (Dio) Heaven and Hell was such a kick-*** release. When everyone in Hollywood learned of Randy's new gig with Ozzy, most thought that there would be no way Randy's stlye would mesh well with Ozzy's unique voice, and stand up to Iommi's writing ability.

Well, Randy proved many people wrong [thumbup] .... Randy's writing ability IMO is one of the best of any rock guitar player.... Too bad he passed on so young

Jeff Beck also said he only plays when he needs money for his Hot Rod collection. :rolleyes:

He's a tongue in cheek kinda guy who always struck me as trying come off as uncaring and cavalier about his abilities. It's almost like he resents his audience for enjoying his past works. Robert Plant is the same way, they get all disappointing in the audience when they want to hear "Livin' Lovin' Maid" instead of "House of Cards", or "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" instead of "Pork-u-Pine".

Great Talents, but the attitudes puzzle me.

I wonder if he was referring to Gibson electrics in general. The 24 3/4 scale offers a little less tension making them easier to play. It's the reason I play a Gibson.

Compared to what? I thought the longer, 25.5 scale offered less tension? Do I have it backwards?

Unless you're referring to something related to a scale shorter than 24 3/4...in which case, disregard my question.

Eighth edit:

Or might I be confusing tension with "ease of play"? For example, a longer scale requires more string tension to tune to pitch, however, they're easier to play (bend)?

Ninth edit:

Looks like I had it backwards...and in my backwards mind, the claim of "easier, looser" strings seems counterintuitive...go figure.

Compared to what? I thought the longer, 25.5 scale offered less tension? Do I have it backwards?

Unless you're referring to something related to a scale shorter than 24 3/4...in which case, disregard my question.

Eighth edit:

Or might I be confusing tension with "ease of play"? For example, a longer scale requires more string tension to tune to pitch, however, they're easier to play (bend)?

Ninth edit:

Looks like I had it backwards...and in my backwards mind, the claim of "easier, looser" strings seems counterintuitive...go figure.

msp_confused.gif

I don't blame you for being confused about the rambling...

I had been under the impression that many folks claimed that longer scale necks were easier to play. I understand that the greater the distance between the points a string, more tension would be required to keep it tuned to normal pitch.

However, I also think about an example like this - a string is tied between two pencils with 10 lbs of pressure applied to the string. The pencils are 5 inches apart, and the string is very taut. Pushing on the string "feels" very stiff. Spread the pencils to 10 inches, applying the same amount of tension, and the string will "feel" easier to push or apply pressure on to bend it.

I guess that's how I'm thinking of scale length on guitars. Even if a longer scale requires a little more tension, it could still "feel" easier to play.

I'm not at all arguing for my points...just explaining my rationale for my errant thinking.

Wasn't it Richie Blackmore who said he switched from Gibsons to Fenders because the Gibsons were too easy to play?

the difference in scale is what, .75"? But it feels like the Gibson 12" radius is easier to play.

Man, I've got to tell you, I think the opposite about Fender and Gibson.

This is interesting to me. I feel like Fender's are easier, but not necessarily that Gibson's are "hard".

The only thing about my Fender that I find harder to deal with, is the floating bridge/spring tremolo system...And this is only in regards to bending - my muscle memory has to make some serious adjustments. I just feel like I'm working myself more to bend and "work" the strings on my LP.

Archived