Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall-like Distortion Pedal for Fender Amp?

Bradmeister

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stress this enough, the OCD is very dynamic, just like a good tube amp... you play softer, the gain is subtle, you pick hard and it spikes. I love that the EQ of it is fairly flat... I can almost get the same distortion from my amp as I can the OCD, but then you flip to the HP setting and whammo it's like having good distortion with the bright switch on!!

HAO Rust Driver reviews: review

I poop you not!

Those are some great pedal recommendations. However, you do realize it still won't sound like a Marshall, right? As much as I love my Fender amps and my various dirt boxes, the only way I get a Les Paul and Marshall sound is through a Marshall (or an amp built just like one). If that is really THE sound you want, there is only one way to get it.

I highly recommend these 3 pedals!

Sansamp GT 2

Sansamp GT2

- Distortion from Mesa's to Marshall's. Not very warm though but it's one hell of a pedal.

BJF Mighty Red Distortion

BJF Mighty Red Distortion

- Great for Marshall sounds.

Toneczar Openhaus

Toneczar Openhaus

- Extremely versatile pedal for all distortion sound and it can go real heavy.

** These will get you close to what you want but, like what everyone will say.... you want a Marshall sound get a Marshall.... **

I can't stress this enough' date=' the OCD is very dynamic, just like a good tube amp... you play softer, the gain is subtle, you pick hard and it spikes. I love that the EQ of it is fairly flat... I can almost get the same distortion from my amp as I can the OCD, but then you flip to the HP setting and whammo it's like having good distortion with the bright switch on!!

HAO Rust Driver reviews: review

I poop you not!

If that's what you like, you should try the Analogman King of Tone. There's a ridiculously long waiting list, but it's worth the wait. I like it so much that I bought a second one - one to keep at our rehearsal space and one to use at home.

Those are some great pedal recommendations. However' date=' you do realize it still won't sound like a Marshall, right? As much as I love my Fender amps and my various dirt boxes, the only way I get a Les Paul and Marshall sound is through a Marshall (or an amp built just like one). If that is really THE sound you want, there is only one way to get it.[/quote']

Amen. But, you can still get some good results from some of the newer pedals. The King of Tone ain't no DS-1.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I know I really need to buy a Marshall to get that tone. I'm just looking for something to get me part of the way there or just make the distorted channel on my Fender sound better. I can drop $100 or $200 on a pedal for now, and wait for the right time to go for the Marshall. I need to let the fires die down from the R8 purchase before getting more serious GAS again. :-)

I do have a Maxon TS808 clone, and it sounds great. Got some compliments on it from our bass player last rehearsal with the new R8. Just looking for something a little different and don't want to drop $1000 on a new tube amp just yet.

Thanks again for all the great responses. I've got some thinkin to do.

-Brad

If you can stand the wait, I'd go for the King of Tone. I was just jamming a little with mine through my 1966 Fender Champ with my LP Custom and it just rocks. The KoT is really two of the same pedal in one box with completely independent controls for each side so you can tweak them however you like for two different sounds and combine them together for a third sound. Count the pedal completely off, that's four different sounds. I keep the one side set to very mild overdrive and a fairly mellow EQ setting for a bluesy tone, the other side set fairly hot with a bit of a mid boost for an older British tone and then both on for a hotter British tone. I wish I had a setup to record it so you could hear it - outstanding.

You can check out some videos here. This one with the kid playing a Strat is probably the most informative.

If that's what you like, you should try the Analogman King of Tone. There's a ridiculously long waiting list, but it's worth the wait. I like it so much that I bought a second one - one to keep at our rehearsal space and one to use at home.

...given the wait I was too impatient at the time... Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one on the used market [-o<

the Zvex box of Rock pedal was designed to make the marshal sound available at any volume on a tube amp. It a great sounding pedal m favorite actually an I do have the OCD also. the Box of Rock is my go to pedal. They now make the exeter series in a non handpainted painted format that saves some money even if you don't mind over sea's construction. I buy only the handpainted US ones but I get stubborn that way, the exeter series sounds good.

omg keep this thread alive!!!!!

one of the reasons i finally got a guitar was to play with pedals. but i can't really afford them. are the clones just as good? do the 'net company's ship the right kits or do they make a buncha mistakes?...

i want to make a couple pedals and put them in die cast cars so they looked cool but i still couldnt tell the difference from a soldering iron and a wood burning kit heheh. i failed shop class, what can i say. i just want to mess with stuff.

sory if my post doesn't really help you, but maybe the fact that i'm clueless will help you feel like you are closer to your answer anyway.

now where is that woodburning wand? i had it when when i was 8.... :-&

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Based on the feedback here and the audio clips on their website, I ordered the Fulltone OCD this weekend. Should be here in a few days. I also plugged into my Vox AC15 for the first time, and it sounded better than the Fender, so I'll be switching back to the Vox as my regular amp.

Still need that Marshall though.... :-D

Hi Everyone' date='

Based on the feedback here and the audio clips on their website, I ordered the Fulltone OCD this weekend. Should be here in a few days. I also plugged into my Vox AC15 for the first time, and it sounded better than the Fender, so I'll be switching back to the Vox as my regular amp.

Still need that Marshall though.... :-D[/quote']

Sounds like you made a really good choice, Brad. Fulltone makes terrific products. Enjoy!

OCD sure does seem like a sweet OD pedal. I'm personally looking for a Marshall type distortion pedal, for more of a distortion drive, to go beyond tube overdrive. Most everything I've checked out either has too little gain, and most of the "Metal" pedals remind me of the SS distortion that I had on my first amp, a 15 watt SS crate combo, not the sound I'm looking for. How the hell can anything beat this MI Audio Crunch Box????? Just listen to this thing!!!!!!!!! $129

....and' date=' Manimal....that is one crazy band you have there. Love the music. Had me crackin' up!

-Brad[/quote']

Ha ha, thanks dude, did you send me a friend request? I've been away from the computer the last couple of days. I'll be sure to check your site and send you an invite if not.

Manimal,

Send us a friend request. The other guitarist in the band does the MySpace stuff. He won't even give the rest of us a password, LOL!

Everyone else: I plugged in the OCD into my VOX AC15TBX rig last night at rehearsal. That thing is damn sweet! I was loving it. Might forget all about my Fender amp now......

Now, I'm just waiting for my 3-loop true-bypass looper to come in, and I'll be all set. That is, until I get a new pedalboard. I've been GASsing something fierce the past week or so for a new one. Just can't bring myself to spend the $300.

-Brad

• 8 months later...
I'll toss in a couple more ideas:

* Carl Martin Plexitone

* Tonebone Hot British (not the plexitube ... slightly different voicing)

both are designed exclusively toward the Marshall sound you are looking for - both are excellent pedals.

The sound im after is the overdrive produced by Marshall 1959 SLP modded with KT66 tubes, same as the tone Jimmy Page had on 1972-1973 Led Zeppelin tours shown in The Song Remains the same concert.

Shall i purchase the Carl Martin Plexitone or the Fulltone OCD. The amps i currently have are the Fender Twin Reverb 65 Reissue and Fender Blues Deville Tweed 4 by 10.

Please advice.

The sound im after is the overdrive produced by Marshall 1959 SLP modded with KT66 tubes' date=' same as the tone Jimmy Page had on 1972-1973 Led Zeppelin tours shown in The Song Remains the same concert.

Shall i purchase the Carl Martin Plexitone or the Fulltone OCD. The amps i currently have are the Fender Twin Reverb 65 Reissue and Fender Blues Deville Tweed 4 by 10.

Please advice. [/quote']

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not really a fan of the OCD. It was the first pedal I've ever purchased w/out having tried it out first, and I did so based on all of the amazing reviews ... I owned it for a week before selling it. Some people seem to dig it, but I'm not one of them (to be perfectly honest, I think it was among the worst, if not the worst, pedal I've ever had).

I have a major addiction to Marshall ... they are the only amps I play through (currently either my Vintage Modern or my 1974x). As such, I've spent more time than I'd like to admit trying out different pedals that have been designed to give you the Marshall voicing, as I like to use overdrive pedals to get a dirty sound at a lower practicing volume (I only crank them when used live). In my experience, the following three are heads and shoulders above the rest (though I haven't tried any of the Wampler pedals which look nice as well ... so I hold out judgment on those until I try one):

1) Carl Martin Plexitone

2) Tonebone Hot British

3) Tonebone Classic (it's marketing says it's voiced more like a Fender, but I've been able to scrape out some absolutely beautiful vintage voiced Marshall tones out of it as well).

For the tones you are looking for, I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Even for myself, I use all three on a somewhat regular rotational basis, as I find such great qualities out of all three, that I'm constantly using all of them depending on my mood for the day.

The Carl Martin is very nice because you have both a crunch channel as well as a higher gain channel - it'll take you from a slightly overdriven break up on the lowest settings (great for blues), to a very crunchy classic rock grind (such as Free or Led Zeppelin for example), all the way to a modified Marshall 1980's high gain metal tone (think Randy Rhoads / EVH). On top of that, you also get a clean boost which works well on it's own for driving an already driven amp, or to use as a solo boost. It's an absolutely wonderful pedal ... and despite not being true bypass, it doesn't color your tone one single bit (I'm absolutely insane about this, so I can assure you it will not color the tone of your amp).

The Hot British is another great choice. Like the Plexitone, it's designed to give the the voicing of a modified Marshall Plexi. There are a number of terrific tone shaping options (don't let all the knobs scare you off) that can take you anywhere from an older vintage sound (well, vintage as in lets say an early AC/DC type drive on the lowest settings), up through a modern day super saturated metal tone. It's a tremendously versatile pedal, with a slightly more modern flavor to it ... though, it certainly retains a more vintage voice on lower settings. Anyway, the word "Hot" is definitely on spot w/this pedal ... it can get nice and dirty! I will also say, that because it's a pretty hot pedal, it's not the best for versatility ... meaning if you play the blues, the other two I'm mentioning here would be better options in the long run. The lowest settings are already at an AC/DC type level, so there is no slight break up w/this pedal ... it goes from in your face, to REALLY in your face.

The Classic is another one I'd suggest looking into. While they say it's designed around the Fender sound, I don't quite agree. I think the Hot British is more of a modern/modified Plexi sound, while I think the Classic is more of a vintage Marshall sound. I find myself using the Classic more often than not if I'm playing the blues, or even older classic rock like AC/DC for example. It's very similar to the Hot British w/respect to tone shaping options, so it too is very versatile. I don't use the high gain setting on the Classic though, as I prefer the high gain on the previous two I mentioned. Though, it's not to say I don't like the pedal ... if anything, the Classic might be my current favorite.

Oh, both Tonebone pedals are true bypass ... again, no tone coloration.

Honestly, it's difficult for me to play favorites and suggest one of the three as a clear cut winner ... all three are absolutely marvelous pedals, and like I said, my research (of course this is also my opinion) has shown that they are far better and authentic than anything else currently available if you want the Marshall tone in a pedal (though, I still want to try the Wampler pedals).

If I had to pick one, and this is only based on your mentioning of Pages tone, I'd likely point you in the direction of either the Tonebone Classic, or the Carl Martin Plexitone. I use both of those (particularly the Classic) for when I'm playing Zeppelin stuff. The Hot British also sounds great for Page, but just not quite as great as the other two (like I said, the Hot British can get a little hairy w/the gain). I guess the decision would come down to how much flexibility you ultimately need, and what other types of music you'll be using it for. If you find yourself playing strictly blues through classic rock, I'd likely opt for the Classic ... though, if you play blues through classic rock all the way up to a high gain modified Marshall Plexi tone, then I'd suggest the Carl Martin Plexitone.

I realize this response is a little long, but honest to God, these three pedals are ones I really believe in and would absolutely w/out hesitate recommend to anyone ... and because I do believe in them so much, I wanted to take the time to try and answer your question properly. If you want the Marshall voicing, you won't find anything better on the market than one of these three ... the decision really comes down to how much flexibility you need though. Either way, I can absolutely assure you that you won't be disappointed in the least bit. Feel free to ask more questions if you want more clarification ... I'm happy to discuss these all day long!

Dear Crossroads:

Your response is highly appreciated. I have spent lots of money and time getting the correct stompbox. I was planning on getting a Sola sound tonebender to get the page tone, however after doing some research I found out he only used it on the studio albums and the sound I am after is the live 72' to 73' (The song remains the same overdriven tone).

I want a pedal that does not distort in the clean channel and that will get me the live zep tone once i step on the overdrive. Will the Carl Martin Plexitone distort in the clean channel?

Archived