Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall-like Distortion Pedal for Fender Amp?

Bradmeister

I have an old Puke Green TS-9 Tube Screamer that works well through my Deluxe Reverb. I tried out a Fulltone OCD last weekend and think I really preferred that to the TS-9. It seemed to bring out the harmonics better as well as retain the bottom end. It's hard to compare them without the benefit of a side by side test though. I'm going to A/B my TS-9 against the Fulltone OCD using my guitar (R8 VOS) and a Deluxe Reverb. Once I get a clearer picture I'll report back.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear Crossroads:

Your response is highly appreciated. I have spent lots of money and time getting the correct stompbox. I was planning on getting a Sola sound tonebender to get the page tone' date=' however after doing some research I found out he only used it on the studio albums and the sound I am after is the live 72' to 73' (The song remains the same overdriven tone).

I want a pedal that does not distort in the clean channel and that will get me the live zep tone once i step on the overdrive. Will the Carl Martin Plexitone distort in the clean channel?[/quote']

I'm guessing you mean through the clean channel on your amp?

If so, no, it won't distort when turned off ... won't affect your tone in the slightest until you step on the pedal to turn it on. One other thing I like about the Carl Martin & Classic, are that both respond very well to the guitar volume knob (the Hot British will too, but not as well) ... so even if you have it set w/some dirt, you can still roll back the volume on the guitar to clean it up if you don't want to step on the pedal to turn it off (like if you tend to leave it running all the time for your tone).

I'm guessing you mean through the clean channel on your amp?

If so' date=' no, it won't distort when turned off ... won't affect your tone in the slightest until you step on the pedal to turn it on. One other thing I like about the Carl Martin & Classic, are that both respond very well to the guitar volume knob (the Hot British will too, but not as well) ... so even if you have it set w/some dirt, you can still roll back the volume on the guitar to clean it up if you don't want to step on the pedal to turn it off (like if you tend to leave it running all the time for your tone).

[/quote'] When i question about true bypass means that when i turn off the pedal i want to hear my twin reverb 65 reissue totally clean. I have an Ibanez tube screamer which is not a true bypass and i hate it.

When i question about true bypass means that when i turn off the pedal i want to hear my twin reverb 65 reissue totally clean. I have an Ibanez tube screamer which is not a true bypass and i hate it.

Oh yes, absolutely. I pointed this out in the first response, but since it was so long it must have gotten lost in there haha. I'm just like you in that anything that colors my tone when turned off drives me absolutely crazy ... I mean even the SLIGHTEST dampening of the clean sound will completely ruin a pedal for me. I don't care how good it sounds while on, I won't even bother with it if I can tell it's there when off.

I purchased a Keeley TS9 Baked Mod with "true bypass" about a year and a half ago and still had the same experience you are having with your TS despite being "true bypass". While at the shop, they had two ... one with true bypass and the other w/out. I plugged in the one w/out (that's the one that was on display) to see how I'd dig the sound of the modified TS (which I did like while turned on) ... but when it came time to purchase it I declined because it lacked true bypass ... then he said he had the "true bypass" version as well, so I purchased it thinking it'd be on spot ... unfortunately, even though it was billed as true bypass, it most certainly was not ... I could absolutely hear a change in tone. Right now the pedal is sitting in my closet in the hopes that the "pre-fire" Keeley pedals go up in value before I flip it.

Anyway, going back to the coloration of your tone w/any of the three, I can assure you that it will not affect your tone in the slightest ... not one single bit. When you turn it on, you'll be greeted with absolutely glorious tones ... but when off, it's like it's not even there. Perfect.

Ok' date=' now im getting near the road. The amp I am using my Gibson Les Paul Standard with burstbucker pro 1 and 2 pickups is a Fender Twin Reverb 65 Reissue.

To get that 72' to 73 ' live Marshall Led Zeppelin sound as per The Song remains the same concerts shall I settle with the Carl Martin Plexitone or the Fulltone OCD version 4. Just remember once i turn the pedal off i need to hear the cleanest sound as possible comming out of the Twin Reverb.

Which of this two will you choose? I have heard that the Fulltone OCD is more compatible with Fender amps.

Oh yes, absolutely. I pointed this out in the first response, but since it was so long it must have gotten lost in there haha. I'm just like you in that anything that colors my tone when turned off drives me absolutely crazy ... I mean even the SLIGHTEST dampening of the clean sound will completely ruin a pedal for me. I don't care how good it sounds while on, I won't even bother with it if I can tell it's there when off.

I purchased a Keeley TS9 Baked Mod with "true bypass" about a year and a half ago and still had the same experience you are having with your TS despite being "true bypass". While at the shop, they had two ... one with true bypass and the other w/out. I plugged in the one w/out (that's the one that was on display) to see how I'd dig the sound of the modified TS (which I did like while turned on) ... but when it came time to purchase it I declined because it lacked true bypass ... then he said he had the "true bypass" version as well, so I purchased it thinking it'd be on spot ... unfortunately, even though it was billed as true bypass, it most certainly was not ... I could absolutely hear a change in tone. Right now the pedal is sitting in my closet in the hopes that the "pre-fire" Keeley pedals go up in value before I flip it.

Anyway, going back to the coloration of your tone w/any of the three, I can assure you that it will not affect your tone in the slightest ... not one single bit. When you turn it on, you'll be greeted with absolutely glorious tones ... but when off, it's like it's not even there. Perfect.

[/quote']

I've been checking out the Fulltone OCD on YouTube and it does sound great. Does anyone know if it can be run via a power adapter or can it only be used with batteries?

I play a Les Paul through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and, unlike many people, I actually use the overdrive channel on the amp. It does sound good but I'm wanting to step up tone-wise to do the guitar justice! It seems like the OCD would definitely do the job for overdrive but I need some kind of boost for when i go into solos etc. Can anyone suggest a decent boost pedal that would compliment the OCD?

To get an idea of the type of music I play check out www.myspace.com/thetempusmusic.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Archived