Gibson Brands Forums

Too much babying

davidl

I've had my 2008 R0 for about 9 months and have been hesitant to really play it because it is just such an awesome instrument. Some would say a piece of art.

A little gun shy to possibly blemish it.

I've come to realize that I bought this guitar because it is such an awesome guitar and it would be a crime not to play the heck out of it.

If it gets a ding or two, so what?

I didn't buy it to sell it someday. I will always have it.

From this day forward it will be played in the same manner as the rest. With passion.

Anyone else been gun shy about really playing their special guitars?

Dave

Not me. I treat them well but I don't baby them.

Good to see you're getting over this mental hurdle. Now is also an opportunity to reach even higher grounds and actually modify it. [biggrin]

Replace those linear pots and you'll love that guitar even more.

You had mentioned replacing the pots to me once before and I have been thinking about it ever since. Why the heck not.

Can you refresh my memory as to which pots would be a good replacement?

Thanks for the nudge. [thumbup] Dave

CTS audio taper pots. If you leave your controls on 10 all the time, you won't notice any difference. There are a several places that sell them but I've only dealt with RS Guitarworks. Typically, when you replace the pots you also replace the caps since the Gibson Bees aren't real paper in oil caps. Pots, Luxe Bumblebee caps & shipping to Canada will run you around $100 from RS.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, thing is no matter how careful you are .... it's gonna get dinged anyway. maybe a small 1 but it's gonna happen. Use it and don't worry.You have 1 life, enjoy the hell out of it.Myself ,I keep them looking good and in good condition but it's gonna happen. My Matsumoto, has like 4 new small dings on the top now . stuff happens. I did it ... looked at it .... said Sh*T and continued playing.Are some of the guitar Gibson put out beautiful? for sure , but they are guitars first.Play it man.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to baby mine.... Now I play the sh!t out of them...

I think they appreciate a good thrashing. No abuse of course, but using them for what they were designed for.

I'm glad I shook that monkey off my back. I'm really appreciating the guitar for what it is.

Some thanks go to R9 for the perspective.

Dave

I think they appreciate a good thrashing. No abuse of course, but using them for what they were designed for.

I'm glad I shook that monkey off my back. I'm really appreciating the guitar for what it is.

Some thanks go to R9 for the perspective.

Dave

I took R9's advice on this too!! Sadly though it doesnt stop there!! Pickups next... $$$$$$$....LOLOL

CTS audio taper pots. If you leave your controls on 10 all the time, you won't notice any difference. There are a several places that sell them but I've only dealt with RS Guitarworks. Typically, when you replace the pots you also replace the caps since the Gibson Bees aren't real paper in oil caps. Pots, Luxe Bumblebee caps & shipping to Canada will run you around $100 from RS.

bravo, great point. wiring is more important than poeple give it credit for. i am not hip to how close to origional the reissues are (i didn't know about the pot) but i can say for sure the wiring is not and can be improved on, making it sound both closer to the origional and better. the caps, pots, and wiring LAYOUT on a lp are as important as the pickups.

i thought i would add to this that when i was doing mine, there was plenty of schematics online but none i could find that showed the actual location of the wires for a 50's era goldtop. by studying pictures i learned that running the coax sheilded wire from the jack to the switch was how they did it, and this actually made a difference in sound. it is not as easy as the 4 conducter wire i have seen in every other gibson of later manufacture, but the change to coax DID make a difference. just to perhaps prove i'm not crazy, changing wire in a fender, (even to 100$ per foot pure silver) did not seem to make a difference to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few classic cars athe worst thing you can do to them is NOTHING. Any machine that just sits is not good for it. I know someone with a minty, mint, mint Ace Frehley encased in glass, hanging on a wall with lights on it. Oh man it kills me. So sad for the guitar and owner. What are you saving it for your kids or grandkids,a thief so they can sell it and get top dollar? I can remeber my first new Corvette the first night I had it I poured a beer on the floor board. I figured it was going to eventually happen anyways so I might as well be the one to do it.

I see nicks and dings not as damage but stories. Battle damage if you will. Yes, being a moron and sticking your neck up into a ceiling fan or letting a drunk with a belt buckle swing your guitar around and knock bottles off a amp is not something that you look forwards to but thats life. If I was a guitar I would rather be sat on by some awesome blonde in a mini skirt than stay locked up in a case never to see sunlight.

If my 82 E2 Explorer could talk it could probably have me arrested. It also has the marks to prove it but every one of them tells a story. I just do not remember most of em.

I've had my 2008 R0 for about 9 months and have been hesitant to really play it because it is just such an awesome instrument. Some would say a piece of art.

I've come to realize that I bought this guitar because it is such an awesome guitar and it would be a crime not to play the heck out of it.

From this day forward it will be played in the same manner as the rest. With passion.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I have a 'similar' problem, but not quite the same. I bought my Les Paul Standard '59 VOS last October, I meant to play her every day, I open the case every day, tune her, polish (the finish needs work) but fall back upon my Korean Hamer for practising. I'm careful not to dent or scratch any of my guitars though, regardless of how much they cost, they are all beautiful works of art to me, however, works of art that need to be played, but always with passion, love and respect. In my experience, guitars don't become damaged by playing them, worn, yes, but damaged no. For me, there are a set of rules for the prevention of pain:

1) Space, uncluttered playing area, nothing to knock the headstock into

2) Use a guitar stand for temporary storage, after session return to case

3) Keep in tune, clean strings, fretboard and body, gently after use

The more I play the '59, the more I want to play her, so I think that my problem is just getting used to a different feel, once this guitar really gets hold of me, there will be no putting her down! I'm also a great believer in modifying a guitar to suit your needs, even historic guitars have room for improvements, and this really makes it your own, and also the reason I don't like signature models; the model you have should bear your own signature!

Have fun Dave, that's what they are for! Cheers!

Guys I had to make a post as I too spent way too many years buying expensive guitars and then simply staring at them. I clearly remember Joe Pass telling me one day at a teaching session that he was giving years ago this comment in his typical Joe Pass way of speak............'hey man pick the damn guitar up and PLAY IT MAN!............DON'T STARE AT IT AS THAT IS RESERVED FOR YOUR WIFE OR GIRLFRIEND!'................I finally have gotten over the 'ding' thing but man it did take years............jim in Maine

Hi R9,

I always look forward to reading your posts, I was very intrigued to learn about the audio taper pots and especially the Bumblebee caps Gibson fit on their historic replicas not being the same specification as those fitted to the originals..... I looked on the RS Guitarworks site, and even found an electrics upgrade for my Hamer.

Does the same advice of replacing the pots and caps apply to a Les Paul '59 reissue too?

Not me. I had a show last Saturday night and the band before us called me up on stage. Then my wife came on stage and gave me my R7 for my birthday. I spent the remainder of their set playing it back stage and fell in love with it. Halfway through our set I decided it was time for a baptism by fire and finished our set with it.

Guest FarnsBarns

When I first got my r6 and was getting used to it, playing at home, I used to tuck a pair of boxers into the top of my jeans to hang over the rivets on the pocket of my jeans. I got over it in a couple of weeks and noticed the little scratches where all on the control cavity cover. That guitar was made for me!

Hi R9,

I always look forward to reading your posts, I was very intrigued to learn about the audio taper pots and especially the Bumblebee caps Gibson fit on their historic replicas not being the same specification as those fitted to the originals..... I looked on the RS Guitarworks site, and even found an electrics upgrade for my Hamer.

Does the same advice of replacing the pots and caps apply to a Les Paul '59 reissue too?

Yes!... I swapped out the pots,caps and pups on my G0... and had the 50's wiring done! it sounded great before but

Oh man she sounds real sweet now!

Yes!... I swapped out the pots,caps and pups on my G0... and had the 50's wiring done! it sounded great before but

Oh man she sounds real sweet now!

Hey Flight959!

You can't just say you swapped the pot, caps and pups and had it rewired! Which pots, caps and pups..... and was the type of wiring different, or was the standard of soldering better......(I'm still trying to work out what pups are)? and..... what was wrong with the wiring? Are you saying that while Gibson have taken great care trying to replicate the specifications we can all see and touch, those which are out of sight (the electrical components) are not subjected to the same level of attention, even in the Gibson Custom workshop? R9 had stated that the 'Bumblebee' capacitors Gibson fit to historic guitars are not the correct specification; I'm surprised, because we are talking about small details which can influence tone.

Lately, I have become intrigued by these mysterious electrical components, mysterious because I know nothing at all about electrical things...... I just switch them on and expect them to work...... I opened the back of my Korean Hamer, to find a normal-looking installation, with the exception of the wires from the Seymour Duncan replacement pickups, which look much better quality. I then opened the back plate of my PRS, and oh my gosh, what difference! A very neat installation, the same level of attention to detail as the visible parts of the guitar! I now want to take the back off my Les Paul '59 reissue and see what's in there.

Which part of England are you from? I will be visiting London next month, do you know of a good guitar workshop there which can help me with an electrical upgrade? Did you choose the upgrade components yourself and explain what you wanted done, or did you trust a company to decide what was best for your guitar and just do the job? Also, how much should I expect to pay to have the lot replaced?

Sorry so many questions....... I still have a lot to learn! Cheers!

Guest FarnsBarns

I'm in London. I could point you in the direction of a couple of excellent techs/luthier depending on exactly where you will be and whether you have a car or you are using public transport etc. PM me if you like, I don't know if commercial posts are acceptable around here.

Dave

+1. With the lower frets on the historics I tend to worry about pressing to hard on the frets and making an impression in the fretboard wood with the strings. I haven't been able to thoroughly enjoy playing my historic cuz of the babying issue.

Dave

+1. With the lower frets on the historics I tend to worry about pressing to hard on the frets and making an impression in the fretboard wood with the strings. I haven't been able to thoroughly enjoy playing my historic cuz of the babying issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all cool cats!!!

Just letting you know that I went out and put a deposit down on yet another Gibson Les Paul!!!

I've got a Gibson fetish-especially when it comes to Les Pauls-

My wife will probably leave me, but who cares????

Gary Moore BFG-current issue with the kill switch and Burstbucker 3 and P90-

Needed a guitar to leave lying around the house-no concern if the kids jump on it, or it the cat pisses on it, or

even drop the $%@#ing thing when I'm drunk!!!!

Finish, is well like it states "barely finished"

Playability, awesome!!!

Sound, amazing with this combo of pickups!!!

I'll have it home soon!!!

In answer to Too much babying

Yes, I too sometimes have that problem with my other Gibsons!!!

Cheers, Mick from OZ!!!!msp_thumbup.gif

Really? I say , with all respect , go play that 'effin guitar. you ain't gonna hurt it. If you put ware on it ..... what happens...... Nothing, you play it some more. the only way not to put any ware on the guitar, is to not use it. If you like ..... send it to me and I'll put some ware on it and than you can stop worrying. LOL !!!! it's a guitar first. It was made to be used and play to make music. Don't fear it. If you love it with your heart , It will make sweet music for ya. \:D/

Archived