Gibson Brands Forums

interesting comments at gig

saturn

We played a bar last night that is normally a dance club. They have a lot of karaoke, DJs and dance bands. They booked us knowing we mainly do classic rock because we told them we would try to play as much dancable classic rock as possible.

I thought it was interesting that many of the regulars and even the house DJ commented that we were the first band they saw there that actually played everything live with no pre-recorded backing tracks or drum machines. Like this was some new concept or something :-k

Kool! [thumbup]

How did the crowed react to the classic rock?

I remember playing in a bar where they only had 50's bands play. We played covers from the 60's thru the 90's. The crowd kept request songs from the 50s, most of which I never heard of. It still went well and the bar gave us a huge tip and invited us back.

My eldest son does Dj'ing. He went to see a live band a while back and made the same comments. That they played all the instruments.

It's quite sad really.

My first gig was a pink floyd tribute band at my local corn exchange. i would have been very dissapointed had they used backing tracks but luckily they didnt dissapoint. And the chicken and chips I had on the way home was excellent :)

I guess it depends on the music. If they are playing that techno-synth stuff then I can see why they'll need some backtracks or drums.

I remember one time watching a band play Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al." During the bass solo the bass player turned towards the drummer but seemed to nail the solo perfectly. Well that's because they stored the clip on the synth and triggered it! Pretty pathetic...

Well everyone said they liked us and hope we come back. They did dance to some of our stuff. But it's funny, during our break the DJ would play things like "It's Gettin Hot In Here" or even "The Electric Slide" and they all got up to dance then.

I guess it depends on the music. If they are playing that techno-synth stuff then I can see why they'll need some backtracks or drums.

I remember one time watching a band play Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al." During the bass solo the bass player turned towards the drummer but seemed to nail the solo perfectly. Well that's because they stored the clip on the synth and triggered it! Pretty pathetic...

He would have been a magic man if he had nailed that solo. It was recorded backwards and really can't be played forward live. A good bass player would have made up his own solo though. [thumbup]

He would have been a magic man if he had nailed that solo. It was recorded backwards and really can't be played forward live. A good bass player would have made up his own solo though. [thumbup]

I learn something everyday. I've been listening to that song since it came out...

I've never played for money with backing tracks, but I've done duo stuff with a drum machine - in fact, clear back in the early 70s. Still have the Univox drum machine, too.

I think if you do some of your own it's probably okay, especially with at least two people playing. A keyboard can do a lotta what a bass would do anyway. I watched a girl do an afternoon county fair gig with just singing over karaoke type stuff. Didn't care for it much but some folks though it was fine.

But I think I'd personally feel awfully odd doing a solo gig and drums, bass and keyboards were coming out of my PA.

Each to his/her own, and what makes a crowd happy, though, if you're playing for money.

m

It is pretty sad in some way's - I played a few gigs using a electronic Zen drum and a looper to accompany myself on acoustic and a couple of young guys came up afterwards and said that they had really liked the drum machine I was using and that it sounded great but one said " but man you had to push a lot of buttons to get it to work".

I tried to explain that it was actually an instrument and not a drum machine and that I actually was playing the drum sounds my using the pads but they just looked at me and nodded, I don't think they ever understood that it was a digital drum set and I was actually playing it. I guess they thought I just liked to beat the hell out of my drum machine in rythm [crying]

ZenDrumSetupcopy-1.jpg

Where did you hear that it was recorded and played backwards? it was played by Bakithi Khumalo and it's palindromic (which means it's reads the same backwards or forwards) but it's definitely playable either forward or backward.

here it is in tab ;-)

G----|--15--17------------------------------------------------|

D----|--------------15--17------------------------------------|

A----|----------17----------13--15--17--13--------------------|

E----|--------------------------------------15--15--17--15----|

Just listened to it. He was using a 'fretless' bass by the sound of it. Nothing special in the solo. He was 'slapping' like 80's players did. Listen to Level 42's Mark King and Pino palladino playing on Paul Young's 'come back and stay'.

Well everyone said they liked us and hope we come back. They did dance to some of our stuff. But it's funny, during our break the DJ would play things like "It's Gettin Hot In Here" or even "The Electric Slide" and they all got up to dance then.

I really get a kick out of seeing kids do this one. Usually they got the draws hangin' down to their knees and hat cocked to the side. They are dumbfounded when I tell them I used to do that when I was their age. [blink]

When I was their age, I tell them, we called it Line Dancing. "Line Dancing?," they query. "Yup, we put on our best pearl snap shirt, boot cut jeans and cowboy boots and head to the Honky Tonk and 'slide' to "Boot Skootin' Boogie." [laugh]

Yup "Electric Slide" is Boot Skootin' boogie for citty kids. [lol] [lol] [lol]

Don't believe me?:

Line Dancing:

Citified Line Dancing... I mean Electric Slide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAwpTva9ERk

Where did you hear that it was recorded and played backwards? it was played by Bakithi Khumalo and it's palindromic (which means it's reads the same backwards or forwards) but it's definitely playable either forward or backward.

here it is in tab ;-)

G----|--15--17------------------------------------------------|

D----|--------------15--17------------------------------------|

A----|----------17----------13--15--17--13--------------------|

E----|--------------------------------------15--15--17--15----|

Well, the first place I heard that it was recorded backwards was in my ears. [biggrin] But he's mentioned it in interviews many times since then. The whole solo is only the same backwards as it is forwards because the second half of the solo is the first half being played backwards on playback in the studio. Many bass players have worked out solos that sort of fit the song but none of them sound like the record because there is no way to replicate the attack of a fretless bass slap solo being played backwards.

Oh... and always trust ears. Never trust tab you find on interwebs. It's usually wrong. For example, do your ears tell you that the first note of that solo is really being played on the 15th fret of the G string as this tab suggests? According to this tab the entire solo is played above the 12th fret. Always trust ears Daniel San [thumbup]

Archived