Gibson Brands Forums

Recent Les Paul Quality

Gibson-es330TD

Hi folks,

I must start of by saying I am a massive fan of Gibson and much prefer them to another well know guitar maker (which I have many of too). However, recently, I visited my local Gibson dealer to get a new guitar for the collection, and got a nasty shock!! The paintwork at the neck join on the body (front facing) was a little poor, almost crusty and lumpy. To be fare, it was only the part the thickness of two matches, but the guitar was £3,499.00 I mention to the young guitar salesman who just kept trying to changed the subject so I would buy the guitar. I didn't buy the guitar as his answers were clearly made up on the spot and nonsense. "most of the guitars arelike that... That's to make them look more vintage...that's suppossed to be there... You can scrap it up with a flat headed screwdriver and paint over it..." and so it went on.

Has anyone else seen deffects on brand new Gibson guitars? I compare it to buying a brand new mercedes and noticing a botched paint job, it just wouldn't happen, ever!

http://www.polarflamemusic.com

http://www.edinburghguitarrepair.co.uk

Yes, there are problems that get through Q/C. Some have been delt with via the C/S guys that hang out on these forums. On the other hand, it's good to inspect and play a guitar before purchasing. In the case of finish problems, be very wary as Gibson warranty excludes finish problems: 10.Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.

obviously because I bought a Gibson LP Traditional Pro yesterday (the one with the coil taps) took it home and it sounded great until I put the toggle switch in the neck position and had half the volume and tone in the humbucker position and normal volume when I pulled the coil tap which means someone wired it up wrong from the factory and that QC let one slip by. Now I've owned Les Pauls in the past so I know what the neck pickup is supposed to sound like and this wasn't it. It's a 45 min drive to the GC where I have to take it back and I don't know if they will even have another one. Makes me want to go ahead and spring for the PRS 513 model I was looking at. To me it was a better constructed axe and sounded better but carried a heavier price tag. Debating...

Hi folks,

I must start of by saying I am a massive fan of Gibson and much prefer them to another well know guitar maker (which I have many of too). However, recently, I visited my local Gibson dealer to get a new guitar for the collection, and got a nasty shock!! The paintwork at the neck join on the body (front facing) was a little poor, almost crusty and lumpy. To be fare, it was only the part the thickness of two matches, but the guitar was £3,499.00 I mention to the young guitar salesman who just kept trying to changed the subject so I would buy the guitar. I didn't buy the guitar as his answers were clearly made up on the spot and nonsense. "most of the guitars arelike that... That's to make them look more vintage...that's suppossed to be there... You can scrap it up with a flat headed screwdriver and paint over it..." and so it went on.

Has anyone else seen deffects on brand new Gibson guitars? I compare it to buying a brand new mercedes and noticing a botched paint job, it just wouldn't happen, ever!

http://www.polarflamemusic.com

http://www.edinburghguitarrepair.co.uk

No it shouldn't and if I were the manager and heard that salesman say that type of nonsense I probably would have fired him on the spot.

Yeah, and it's nothing new, or "recent." It happens, unfortunately.

There were QC issues in the old "Holy Grail" years, too. We either

don't remember, or choose not to. And, the much younger folks here,

weren't even a glimmer, much less born, yet. So, they think it's

a recent problem. Gibson, like any manufacturer, goes through uneven

periods, that way...as much as (I'm sure) they try not to. So, depending

on what the "problem" is, and whether or not, you can live with it, I would

(and do) just ignore the ones that have those problems, and find one

that doesn't, before I buy.

Also...some things, that are complained about, loose parts, or even a

slight ding, here and there MAY NOT be "Gibson!" It could be a result

of a less than concerned shipping person, dealer employee, etc. And,

Nitro finishes are fragile, and vulnerable, compared to Poly! So...???

CB

CB, you must be an old fart like me, full of common sense wisdom! A few 'rules' I follow when purchasing -

1 - NEVER buy from Guitar Center without a very careful examination and testing. You don't know how many people have played/handled the guitar, most of whom you wouldn't allow to BREATHE on one of your axes!

2 - NEVER buy a guitar that you have not personally inspected and played, unless you trust the seller/dealer 100%. Obviously this leaves out the online retailers, with the possible exception of the smaller, privately owned stores.

When I test play an axe, I always go thru all the electronics. Test the pots and switches carefully, and don't eliminate a good one because of a glitchy pot or switch, it generally takes less than 5 minutes for the tech to fix the problem. Most good dealers will have techs on duty who can also tweak the setup to your liking as well.

If there is an apparent flaw in the finish of a guitar, point it out to the dealer. Alot of 'flaws' aren't quality issues, but handling or aging, and can be rectified in their shop. Sometimes you can get a bit of a discount due to the flaw, or the guitar will be returned to the factory for fixing. A good, responsible dealer takes these things seriously, and appreciate the heads-up since they are very busy and can't always catch the little problems. I once found a new Zakk Wylde Camo LP Custom that some doofus had buckle-scratched the heck out of. I pointed it out to the dealer, who was shocked at the extent of the scratches. The good news was that it only took a few minutes worth of buffing to make it good as new.

The bottom line is, as CB said, quality problems happen. Be patient, and check out guitars carefully before purchasing. You are the final QC inspector!

Archived