Gibson Brands Forums

Amplification? Acoustic Amp or Powered PA Speaker w/small mixer EQ and Reverb?

park0925

I recently posted a question about which acoustic amp should be considered (see Small Acoustic Amp Advice). I got a few responses, which I appreciated greatly. Thanks to those of you who took the time to respond. I took the advice and went to my local independent guitar shop Huber and Breese (Metro-Detroit, MI)(Sorry Guitar Center. I won't step foot in one) to try several out. The staff was great and did not push me to buy anything, but encouraged me to try several and then thoroughly confused me.

I was looking to buy a stand alone acoustic amp (probably about 50-100W) to play at small venues, because being the novice at these things, that's what I assumed one did. The sales rep said that might be great for me, but also suggested that I look into a powered speaker with a small mixer EQ with reverb. The Mackie Thump TH15A ($349) speaker he showed me, among several others, had considerable more power (400W) and it would be more versatile with multiple instruments and I could add another speaker if I wanted to for stereo.

I am not a touring musician or even a coffeehouse regular, although I do play the occasional one. I teach (elementary not guitar) and play at the school and church at least once a month as well in jam sessions with friends and other musicians. So perhaps the PA might be too much for my needs.

The cost is about the same, maybe even less for the PA speaker/mix option. The portability is better for the stand alone amp. What is most important to me, as I assume is true for you all, is the true acoustic sound I get naturally from my SWD Special unplugged. I have about $500 to spend.

With that said, what's your opinion? Powered PA speaker combined with a mixer with reverb or a stand alone acoustic amp?

I know nothing of these powered speakers about which you speak.

But you can't go wrong with the suggestions in your other thread - re small acoustic amps - there are some great suggestions there which I'm sure will suit your needs.

I've played my SWD direct into several PAs and have always been able to dail in a good sound with the onboard eq - does yours have this too - the Fishman stuff?

If you want something you can just pick up and go then stick to a combo. If you had a regular gig in a larger venue with other players then the PA would be the way to go.

I know nothing of these powered speakers about which you speak.

But you can't go wrong with the suggestions in your other thread - re small acoustic amps - there are some great suggestions there which I'm sure will suit your needs.

I've played my SWD direct into several PAs and have always been able to dail in a good sound with the onboard eq - does yours have this too - the Fishman stuff?

If you want something you can just pick up and go then stick to a combo. If you had a regular gig in a larger venue with other players then the PA would be the way to go.

Thanks!

I was in the market for an acoustic amp and looked at quite a few and read a great deal. The AER amps are probably close to the best but for me unaffordable. I found a really nice UltraSound DS3 on Ebay and I love it. Actually for Christmas I upgraded to the DS4 and it is just such a very natural sound of the guitar and channel one dedicated for vocals is fanstastic. So I am selling the DS3. I would seriously look at the UntraSound amps. They got the gold award in the readers poll in Acoustic Guitar Magazine.

Archived