Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES=350

ErnieT

Vintage/used/old guitar prices fluctuate like the stock market, sometimes they're up, sometimes they're down. At the current time they are DOWN, or has been said "it's a buyers market". It's a good time to buy, but a BAD time to sell.

Your best bet on finding "current market value" is to check on-line auction sites such as e-bay for "completed auctions" to find out what they ACTUALLY sold for. The so-called "blue books" are a joke, the values published are completely unrealistic (because the books and websites are published by "vintage" guitar dealers who's income depends on INFLATED prices).

Any guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and the only way to know what that is, is to find out what they're trading for.

PS: A quick check of e-bay "completed auctions" just showed that two "T" models (thinline) listed for $2500, one sold, and one didn't. That would tell me that around 2K is in the ballpark.

The so-called "blue books" are a joke, the values published are completely unrealistic (because the books and websites are published by "vintage" guitar dealers who's income depends on INFLATED prices).

Actually, I think this is a bit unfair. Those prices are intended to reflect what a top-tier vintage dealer who is not in a big hurry to sell can get for the guitar. (They don't, in all cases, but that's the intention.) Dealer prices bear little relation to what you or I can get selling a guitar on eBay.

Speaking from personal experience, I bought a guitar from Folkway for a price than twice what my maximum bid for the same model guitar in comparable condition on eBay would have been. Maybe I'm an extreme case, but when somebody at Folkway tells me a guitar is a great one and is issue-free, that means something. When an eBay seller tells me a guitar is a great one and is issue-free, that means nothing.

So, if you want to see what price you get by selling yourself on eBay, check completed sales on eBay. If you want to see what price you can get selling on consignment through a top dealer, check the vintage price guides and subtract the dealer's commission. Either way, it's just a ballpark figure.

-- Bob R

Actually, I think this is a bit unfair. Those prices are intended to reflect what a top-tier vintage dealer who is not in a big hurry to sell can get for the guitar. (They don't, in all cases, but that's the intention.) Dealer prices bear little relation to what you or I can get selling a guitar on eBay.

Speaking from personal experience, I bought a guitar from Folkway for a price than twice what my maximum bid for the same model guitar in comparable condition on eBay would have been. Maybe I'm an extreme case, but when somebody at Folkway tells me a guitar is a great one and is issue-free, that means something. When an eBay seller tells me a guitar is a great one and is issue-free, that means nothing.

So, if you want to see what price you get by selling yourself on eBay, check completed sales on eBay. If you want to see what price you can get selling on consignment through a top dealer, check the vintage price guides and subtract the dealer's commission. Either way, it's just a ballpark figure.

-- Bob R

Bob R, After reading your comment, I will have to agree....YOU ARE EXTREME. L5Larry was spot on, in my opinion. The vintage market has taken a hit just as the Real Estate market has. More power to ya' if you want to pay 'double' cause the peeps at Folkway 'say its a good one'.

If I....'Joe Blow/common man' has a good one. You wouldn't believe me! What are my choices on selling? Go to Ebay and get $2500 or consign with Folkway! After a year ot two they sell to you for $4900 and I net $2250. WOW! Haven,t had the guitar to play for a couple of years or the money either!

A couple of old adages come to mind...

-A fool and his money...

-More money than sense...

I guess its a good thing there is a few people like you around to keep these 'brick and mortars' in business.

I am referring to 'vintage' pricing that DOES have market variations NOT new instruments. They have there own 'pricing structure'...

I,ll sum it up with...."different strokes for different folks"...and Play it safe Bob R....ONLY the folks at Folkway know when they got a 'good one'....and there is 'someone' out there that will pay through the nose for it.... Gotcha!

Archived