Gibson Brands Forums

Help Me Pick Speakers!

Andre S

I know I want at least one Celestion. They seem to be a great brand and I like them over Eminence, Weber. The brands I looked at are those and Jensen.

What are the better speakers of Jensen and Celestion?

I want two different speakers, because I think the two diff. speakers will help to full the EQ and frequencies.

I already decided on 1, the Celestion GreenBack.

Also, the amp to be used with it will be most likely the JCA20H and an Egnater Renegade. ( I don't have yet)

But that may change. I wanted to use two amps into the one cab, so one amp to one speaker but I didn't see any high wattage ones that I like.

Jensen "Vintage Ceramic" series speakers have a smooth but gritty sound, and break up nicely without being harsh, they're quite close to the origional Chicago made Jensens used in vintage Fender amps such as the Super & Twin Reverb...Deluxe Reverb...Vibroverb... etc.

Being Ceramic magnets they can sound a bit thin when highly distorted, but they're great for Blues and Classic rock, even most "Classic" metal.

On the Epi Lounge, there is a thread titled " wWhich EVJ to choose for recording guitars 4 album " by Shaman...There is a YouTube 'speaker shootout ' vid on there....Perhaps someone could / would paste

it over here on this thread or a new thread......It is interesting; To me, it sounds shocking; the differences sound so different........it may help on this thread, or; for a new thread......

( I'm not skilled yet at YouTube transfers ).............................just an idea........

It seems to me that different speakers react different depending on which amp is driving them. A V30 may sound great in amp x but may sound like do do in a different amp. Just an observation.

I use a 12" Eminence wizard in one of my amp builds and it sounds great.

You may also want to consider two different speaker sizes like one 10" and one 12" in the same cabinet. That will change the freq's as much or perhaps even more than different brands of speakers.

You may also want to consider two different speaker sizes like one 10" and one 12" in the same cabinet. That will change the freq's as much or perhaps even more than different brands of speakers.

That's what I like about my Fender Two-tone amp. It's got a 10" X 12" configuration and sounds great with the EL-84 and 12ax7 tubes. It runs specially designed Eminence speakers.

I like it. It sounds good to me and that's what counts.

Archived