Gibson Brands Forums

Balance issues

jnastynebr

Recently installed Duncan Alnico II Pro Neck 7.6 and Duncan Alnico II Pearly Gates Bridge 8.35. Both pups tested right to specs before installation. Both running into 500K Audio taper pots and .022 PIO caps.

Neck pup sounds louder and fuller than the bridge. The only thing I can think of is if the caps degraded, and the bridge cap is no longer at the correct value. I have played with pup heights and both are set to near factory specs. I am at a loss as to how to give the bridge a boost. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Double check your soldering on the neck pup. Often a small solder issue can effect the output of a pup. While at it, make sure you've got it wired correctly to begin with. If you're on the wrong lug of the volume or tone pot it will hamper output.

Good luck!

If two pickups on a Les Paul have the same magnets and the same number of winding they will have the same output. This will result in the neck pickup being louder because there is more string motion there and than is at the bridge. Those two pickups are pretty close in output so the neck pickups is going to be louder then the bridge. Try lowering the neck pickup and raising the bridge pickup to even it out a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly, just like Searcy said..

If your pups are set to factory height you should see a height difference between them and the strings.

The neck one is way lower on my LP Studio Faded(Burstbucker Pro's).

To check if it's true that much more sound is created over the neck pup, try strumming a few chords over neck one, and then over the bridge one(try as close to the bridge as you can).

One more thing, I won't change the pup height on my guitar on my own...Better see a pro...

One more thing, I won't change the pup height on my guitar on my own...Better see a pro...

You need a pro tech to make about two turns on two screws with a screwdriver? Really? You'd actually PAY someone to adjust the height of a pickup? REALLY?

Archived