Gibson Brands Forums

Any Coronet owners in?

Swoop

A bloke on one of the local guitar forums is restoring a '67 Epiphone Coronet. He requires a tracing of the rear cavity cover, and I said I would ask here on his behalf. If anyone has a Coronet from this era and can provide a scanned tracing of the rear cover, I'm sure it will be muchly appreciated.

1964_Epiphone_Coronet_223193_back.jpg

Thanks in advance.

A bloke on one of the local guitar forums is restoring a '67 Epiphone Coronet. He requires a tracing of the rear cavity cover, and I said I would ask here on his behalf. If anyone has a Coronet from this era and can provide a scanned tracing of the rear cover, I'm sure it will be muchly appreciated.

If he doesn't find one, he could tape a piece of paper over the cavity then rub around the edges with a pencil held sideways, could even go into the cavity enough to pick up the screw hole positions.

The guitar has been routed for humbuckers and the control cavity has been routed for Les Paul style controls, so no chance of simply tracing it. The hole has been filled with a chunk of mahogany, so he needs a tracing of the original cavity cover in order to rout the new, original sized cavity.

The guitar has been routed for humbuckers and the control cavity has been routed for Les Paul style controls, so no chance of simply tracing it. The hole has been filled with a chunk of mahogany, so he needs a tracing of the original cavity cover in order to rout the new, original sized cavity.

Swoop,

I sincerely hope you or your fellow forum member are able to come up with the tracing. The Coronet was a wonderful guitar. I used to have a early 60s Olympic (not the special).

Anyway, I was wondering, if you don't get a tracing could you scale one? I was looking online and there are several pictures. If you have a decent photo program, you might be able to scale a pic to match the outer curve on the guitar.

Additionally, along with the curve, you could use a pot or jack to match up the size. This might give you both correct size and location.

Here is a Coronet Silver Fox on Ebay that has some very good pics. (It is only up for 16 days):

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1362704&ppid=1122&image=414707949&images=414707717,414707761,414707851,414707554,414707585,414707518,414707484,414707452,414708100,414708043,414707949,414707895,414707804,414708156&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-EPIPHONE-CORONET-HIGHLY-SOUGHT-AFTER-SILVER-FOX-/320602967032?pt=Guitar&hash=item4aa56d0bf8

I know it's not much but, it is the best I can come up with.

Hopefully, others will be more help.

Willy

...he could tape a piece of paper over the cavity then rub around the edges with a pencil held sideways, could even go into the cavity enough to pick up the screw hole positions.

A "rubbing" in this fashion is the prescribed method. They can be VERY accurate. Since you will be recreating the hole for the cover, the actual cover will have to be sized accordingly (slightly smaller). The plastic blank stock comes in standard sizes, and there will be enough for a FEW tries. Trial and error is sometimes necessary.

Anyway, I was wondering, if you don't get a tracing could you scale one?

That'll really only work if you can get a shot of the back of the guitar with no perspective, which is highly unlikely. He's very particular about things being accurate and vintage correct. I've sent a message to someone on these forums who owns a Coronet from the appropriate era, so hopefully that will bring a result if and when I hear back from him.

just a suggestion. have you tried to reach out to a store. I am on assignment with work in los angeles, ca. And, i had to visit the guitar center in hollywood on sunset blvd. They have a coronet silver fox in the vintage room---simply awesome vintage room. I wonder if they would do a trace. Just a thought.

Archived