Gibson Brands Forums

An honest question about forum posts..??

Andy R

Ok just a little background, I have been on the internet since 1995. To be honest I have always pretty much been a knowledge seeker and have honestly never really contributed to a forum until I came here. I posted here because I scoured everywhere for days looking for an answer about a weird bridge on my E2 and couldn't find the answer anywhere ( which is pretty rare) so I joined up here and submitted my question.

Right off the bat a few members started trying to help and I started to get to know some people and realized what a valuable tool forum posting can be for honing you're communication skills with others. I have seen a couple posts about other people posting... even created one myself just to rib a friend a little. I guess what i really don't understand is why people care one way or another who has 1 post or who had 5000 posts?

I also asked another friend why he had not posted much recently and he said it was because people were blowing him crap about his post count.blink.gif That really bummed me out because I enjoy his comments...

Serious question... Do people really get mad about the number of posts people have? I don't understand why this is even a topic or an issue...??? It's a forum...Aren't people supposed to post?? Would be pretty stale in here if they didn't. Some people have more time than others and are more social some not so much but I think everyone should be able to contribute as much or as little as they want regardless of the "Quality of the Content" ...

Sorry if this is a silly question but it really does surprise me? Maybe some old school forum etiquette I am missing or something?

Signed ,

Confused Andy

Some people think post count means knowledge or power.

They think that those with no post counts are idiots and those with lots have no lives.

Me? I dont care, i hate everyone equally. :D

I will say, when people just join and think they know everything about the forum, it can become annoying.

I do not understand it Andy..........I have been the target of several TROLLS.........I have also been the target of several TROLL threads.......I do not like it........I post well, I do not care about post counts; mine, or anyone

elses......I do not care about the quality of any member's posts.....No one's rep count means anything to me.....I filter out the b*ll ****.........I learn a lot here....IF and WHEN I can offer something, I offer it....I offer humor....

I enjoy everyone on here except the TROLLS who have issues with other member's standings, post counts, rep counts, and such..........I ignore it as best I can.........I don't get it.........This is a forum for musicians, not for TROLLS..

( I'm not considering S T E V E a troll by the way )...............................................................WTF........There must be a forum for TROLLS somewhere.............They should go there and do what TROLLS do best..........

This a ROCK and ROLL forum, NOT a ROCK and TROLL forum...........................................

I can't speak for certain what makes someone else angry. But I think some members get annoyed when they see another member who appears to be posting random stuff just for the sake of posting. I've probably done that myself on occasion, but I hopefully space those posts out enough that no one notices or cares enough to flame me.

I never posted to any Forums very often until I started on here a few years ago. I, like you, still haven't fully grasped all the nuances of forum dynamics. But, what I've seen from your posts so far, you have nothing to worry about. Keep posting.

There is a spirit of contributing to the body of knowledge about Gibsons and guitars here that drew me here in the first place. Having said that, people post here out of boredom. Yes sometimes juicy tech questions come up or something, but I think generally people lurk here cuz they have no life. Hey I'm the first to admit that I post out of boredom... nothing better to do. Sad thing is, like any internet forum, people get carried away and/or addicted. Your point speaks to that.

I don't really add much to the forum unless I think I have something to say. dem00n and I joined at the same time. I have 900 post to his 8000 post. We both have enjoyed the people in the past and the young man came to my side one time when I went on the LP forum to let them know that I didn't care for the LP. But as far as your question I am a member on some pretty tight forums and you'll find it on all of them. The more post's you have (even though there only saying hey) the smarter you are. I'm on this forum at least three times a day just seeing what people have to say and if it catches my fancy I'll write somthing down. It's all naturel on the forums. [thumbup]

To me it's like another form of entertainment and learning. I have stopped watching tv considerably, and have made a trade off by hanging out here. It's funny, when your at home watching tv nobody judges you, metaphorically speaking, about what you do with your life. Yet as soon as you join a public forum, people judge by saying you have no life if you spend some time there. For some people this may detract them from posting. For others they could care less. I, myself, balance my life. I do get ticked a little when somebody insinuates that someone has no life because they're here. For some this is a big part of their life. So what? Those who troll have nothing better to do and they need to get a life.

That's cool. Still don't understand it that much. At least not in the lounge area where it is supposed to be for posting about whatever is on your mind... I think the dedicated thread areas are kinda boring myself. I guess I can see where if you want to keep things direct, uncluttered, and to the point I can see where people would get a bit annoyed by the post-aholic but not in here... I thought we were all friends in the lounge!

:-)

Andy

I do not understand it Andy..........I have been the target of several TROLLS.........I have also been the target of several TROLL threads.......I do not like it........I post well, I do not care about post counts; mine, or anyone

elses......I do not care about the quality of any member's posts.....No one's rep count means anything to me.....I filter out the b*ll ****.........I learn a lot here....IF and WHEN I can offer something, I offer it....I offer humor....

I enjoy everyone on here except the TROLLS who have issues with other member's standings, post counts, rep counts, and such..........I ignore it as best I can.........I don't get it.........This is a forum for musicians, not for TROLLS..

( I'm not considering S T E V E a troll by the way )...............................................................WTF........There must be a forum for TROLLS somewhere.............They should go there and do what TROLLS do best..........

This a ROCK and ROLL forum, NOT a ROCK and TROLL forum...........................................

That stinks damien as you are one of my favorite posters! Always smart and witty, usually a kind word or 2 and sometimes little riddles to figure out which I enjoy as well as the puns! I don't even want to know where you get all of toss emoticons!!

Andy

That stinks damien as you are one of my favorite posters! Always smart and witty, usually a kind word or 2 and sometimes little riddles to figure out which I enjoy as well as the puns! I don't even want to know where you get all of toss emoticons!!

Andy

Thank you............

people seem to think "having no life" is a bad thing, or that it's THEIR decision what constitutes a "life" to begin with.

I work every weeknight to pay our bills and several other peoples as well.

I use these forums because I enjoy and use what I learn from them, and enjoy some of the "comic relief" they provide.

I play at least 2 hrs a day, but arthritis has slowed me down and hobbled me so "playing out" except with a few friends is out of the question, I play purely for MY enjoyment now because I CAN.

As long as my responsibilities are met and my Mrs & I are happy, then whether I "have a life" or not in anyone elses eyes, doesn't even register on my "care-o-meter".

Why are so many folks hung up on what others think?

Andy, I think this has become an "issue" recently, because some pathetic soul has decided to persecute one of the members here. Posting a lot on internet forums may not be the most productive thing a person can do, but starting a thread for the sole purpose of attacking others is most definitely a sign of having no life whatsoever. "Someone" knows exactly what I'm talking about! [lol]

But on the bright side, most of the members here are very nice, which makes up for the occasional troll.

[biggrin]

I have just got to get used to the place I think, I don't do facebook or any of that other stuff and I came here because I own a Gibson Firebird, I am interested in buying a Gibson Les Paul, I also have a couple of Epiphones in my collection.

I read more than I post, because I aint got much to say.

I come here for information and am a little surprised at what you have to wade through to find the good information.

But maybe I am just out of touch...seems like some folks just like hanging out and chatting....that's fine, just not what I come here for.

I was shocked at the response to my observation (not a criticism) that a lot of people post more in a day, than I have in all the time I have been looking in here.

We should all do what suits us, of course.

I am just hanging around the Les Paul section gathering information as where best to spend my hard earned cash.

Hope that is OK....... [confused]

The post count is just a statistic but, whilst I'm sure most of us are familiar with the old "Statistics; More Statistics; and Downright Lies" adage, the figure may be an indicator - if used intelligently - of how much creedence might be deemed worthy of any given post.

Like many others here I first logged-in to find answers to specific questions; in my case I wanted quite specific information about one particular instrument.

Reading through the replies there was the usual mixture of fact; opinion; speculation and, of course, nonsense.

In general (although not always) I found that those who were offering the most useful info and also the info most likely to be true had a higher post-count than the 'jokers'.

Not always infallible, perhaps, but an indication that these were some people whose understanding and knowledge of the marque were being passed-on through this forum.

Many of these respondents had been here for years. The jokers and idiots in general seemed to waste some of their time hereabouts before they got bored and moved on elsewhere.

...seems like some folks just like hanging out and chatting....that's fine, just not what I come here for.

I am just hanging around the Les Paul section gathering information as where best to spend my hard earned cash.

Hope that is OK....... [confused]

Yes, of course that's O.K. but...

As it happens 'The Lounge' was set-up specifically to be exactly the 'hang-out-and-chat' type of place you mention. Almost as if we were all hanging around a hotel lounge chatting about a wide range of stuff - not always neccessarily guitar-centric.

Before 'The Lounge' was created there was no 'hang-around-and-chat' - type of place here on the Gibson fora. Discussion of another firm's products was not allowed. This made it very difficult to discuss many matters in a meaningful way.

The creation of the lounge freed up the amount of information that could be disseminated here as well as being somewhere to have a chin-wag with some like-minded friends.

As you have already discovered; info about particular models can best be found in their own sub-sections and, clearly, the LP section is the best place to hang around to find out about LPs.

P.

I have no idea why anyone cares how many posts one has.

I discovered this forum through an interst in Gibson guitars and have learned much more about Gibsons and guitars in general in the last year and a half than I possibly could have otherwise.

I get a kick out of the comedic posts and general stuff in the lounge. I can live without the nastiness that comes up now and again, so I choose not to participate in that.

For specific info, I enjoy the LP, Semi-hollow body, Robot and Re-issue areas.

There is a great deal of experience and knowledge here.

I usually check in at least once a day just to see what's cooking and even contribute once in a while.

So, keep on posting everyone.

And thanks to those who do.

Dave

Here is your answer Andy, and take it from someone who grew up with the internet in it's infancy. This is true in video games, in youtube, in forums, and in anything people don't have to be face to face.

It's called an "e-peen" referring to an electronic male member, or more simply, a pissing contest.

As long as there's a counter for anything that can put you over another person (posts, rep, achievement, trophies etc) some people will do whatever it takes to have the most. The irony here is anyone who is trying to collect these virtual points thinks anyone above them spends too much time on whatever they're on and needs to get a life, and anyone below them are "n00bs" and their opinions are invalid as a result (to the poster).

It's a sad state but it's true and pretty much always will be.

Cheers,

Andy I too have been on forums for about 6-7 years now and I've always found it quite humorous how the post count means so much to some folks. Like it makes them more knowledgeable, and powerful. I am a member on a smoking meats forum (briskets, pork butts etc.)and it amazes me how some of the guys there want to point out how many post they have if anyone dares to question their knowledge as if that will put the offender in their place.

I've learned to smile when I see it and wonder what their life must be like if a simple post count means so much to them.

I post a lot of garbage and general humour (well, some people think so hehehe)....

I read to learn and post to entertain (usually)...my post count says nothing about my guitar knowledge...in fact, some people might think that I know alot based on my post count but I am learning every day!

To me it's like another form of entertainment and learning. I have stopped watching tv considerably, and have made a trade off by hanging out here.

Same here, my wife used to give me a bit of greif when I was on the forum too much and one day I said: OK, turned the computer off and turned the TV on...is that better? not really.

If I have down time I rather spend it learning.

When I see some guys (Not all) posting 20-30 little ditties a day, and then go read some of what they have posted, I have NO doubt in my mind that its done

for no other reason then to boost thier post count. Not all of you, some guys

around here have appreciated input that helps the forum, but there are a

few...and you know who you are. [flapper]

I like it here. There are some really cr@p forums and this isn't one of them. If someone wants to collect posts, guitars or frogs in a bucket, what does it matter.......... I'm still trying to justify that Les Paul Studio......... I might sell the Larrivee, I never use it.

The irony here is anyone who is trying to collect these virtual points thinks anyone above them spends too much time on whatever they're on and needs to get a life, and anyone below them are "n00bs" and their opinions are invalid as a result (to the poster).

It's a sad state but it's true and pretty much always will be.

Cheers,

That kinda reminds me of the George Carlin (or was it Gallager?) observation that when driving, whoever is going slower than you is an idiot and whoever is going faster is a maniak.,

... I also asked another friend why he had not posted much recently and he said it was because people were blowing him crap about his post count ...

... Do people really get mad about the number of posts people have?

I don't understand why this is even a topic or an issue...???

It's a forum...Aren't people supposed to post??

... Maybe some old school forum etiquette I am missing or something?

I post in the Lounge and several subforms here and I don't recall having seen anyone getting crap about their post count - unless it was a joke. Of course some people are more thin skinned than others and may take offense, even if the joke wan't directed at them. But around here, most of these jokes are passed between members who know each other.

Mad about post counts - Again, I haven't seen members getting mad over post counts. Well . . . . I've seen a few guys go to zero after a crash and jokingly complain. And there's always a certain contingent that views the post count as a measure of power. But I think that's minimal here.

About it being a topic or issue - well, there you go. You posted this topic and a lot of responders talk about "inflating post counts", question why some members post so much, or don't post enough - and then claim they don't look at post counts. Kinda weird. I look at the post count and membership date particularly when a member is asking a question - to try get a handle on how much they might know about Gibson, guitars and/or this forum. There are members that have been here for more that a couple years, have a relatively low post count, and are very knowledgable.

Yes, it's a forum and people can post, but they don't have to. There are members that lean more toward reading than posting.

And finally, you aren't missing old school forum etiquette. You're just experiencing the wide range of personalities here - thoughtful, wacky, friendly, over the top, jokester, rabid fan, knowledgable, sharing, good-guy, jerk, etc. . . . . There are all kinds.

Archived