Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone rockin' a CALTON case?

Spot

Just got one of these at a reduced price when I was over in the US pickin' up my 2005 j-45 Historic.

I thought I needed a really solid case just in case those bastards at American Airlines didn't play nice and made her go in the hold. Anyway,...I'm still not truely convinced they are that safe for a guitar. How can a case without any major level of foam protection (like the Hiscox Pro) absord the shock of a US baggage handler???? The CALTON weighs so much that any serious drop has got to seriously rattle the guitar inside!!! Am I missing something?

I'm thinking Hiscox is probabley the way to go, especially when you factor in price!!!

On a seperate, a US guitar dealer recently told me that CALTON may be about to go bust as they are having major problems. Anyone hear this?

[unsure]

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Hiscox.jpg

On a seperate note, a US guitar dealer recently told me that CALTON may be about to go bust as they are having major problems. Anyone hear this?

There's a thread on the Martin forum where a lot of people have expressed dissatisfaction with the company's service:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/112910/Calton-saga-continues-Beware-Important-UPDATE--post-13?page=1

I don't own a Calton, but from what I've been reading, it's not a good time to order direct from the company.

Yep. Take all the precautions you can when flying with your baby.

You've probably heard the story and the song, but a replay is in order - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Justice: The Times newspaper reported that within 4 days of the video being posted online, United Airline's stock price fell 10%, costing stockholders about $180 million in value. HA!

If you have the chance to see major acoustic guitar players in concert, like maybe David Wilcox, Shawn Mullins and a ton of others, they use Calton cases. I purchased one last summer for my Martin HD-28V and I always gate check the guitar. Now I worry more about it getting stolen than damaged. Shawn Mullins plays a big Gibson, J-200 and he always checks his guitar like luggage because it won't fit in the over head of any aircraft and he hasn't had any trouble that I know of with the Calton case.

If you have the chance to see major acoustic guitar players in concert, like maybe David Wilcox, Shawn Mullins and a ton of others, they use Calton cases. I purchased one last summer for my Martin HD-28V and I always gate check the guitar. Now I worry more about it getting stolen than damaged. Shawn Mullins plays a big Gibson, J-200 and he always checks his guitar like luggage because it won't fit in the over head of any aircraft and he hasn't had any trouble that I know of with the Calton case.

I thought a guy like Shawn mullins would be flying first class, and getting the sexy flight attendants to hold and polish his guitar for the duration of the flight...

Funny. He just may fly first class. He told me the story of how he came to be a co-writer on Zac Brown's hit "Toes", so yeah he may be in first class these days as well as that single did and the CD Foundation. BUT, he still checks that big old Gibson like a piece of luggage and the Calton case just keeps protecting it.

Archived