Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro Friendly Capos

Muramasa

I've used Shubb capos, the regular old clamp-on style, on Gibson, Martin, Fender and other nitro-cellulose finished guitars for probably 35 years w. never a problem. I've got a size for Fender electrics and a couple for flattops. The only capo I like, actually...

I don't leave any capo clamped to my guitar when I'm done playing it nor can I see why I'd want to.

Shubb and Kyser with no noticeable problem. Like others I keep it on the headstock while playing but always off the guitar when not in use. My main reason for always removing the capo from the fingerboard when it's in a stand is I don't want to create lasting impressions on the rubber bar...shortens the life, eh?

On a side note...WAY back I used to use a wooden pencil and rubber bands as a capo....never hurt my J-45 with that!

What I've experienced is nitro discoloring when I kept an axe in a stand for extended periods. The surgical tubing type. Tis why I use "Ultimate" stands now.

post-27605-063185900 1296002777_thumb.jpg

Any quality capo will be fine as long as you do not leave it on the guitar for days! Rubber is not good for nitro, but it is not by any means an instantaneous reaction :) There's some relief, right? I have noticed that the issue is worse in warmer weather.......maybe this allows some of the chemicals in the rubber to leech out easier???? Still, just remove the capo when not playing the guitar and you will be just fine.

I have found out that you can use a capo or stand for the gig, party or special occasion just fine with no problems / But never leave a capo on your Gibson over a period of time or leave it on the stand / that rubber will do your guitar harm / I found out the hard way years ago before the internet and Great Sites Like the Gibson Forum & Frets.com / These are a Great Bunch of Folks and Won't Lead You Wrong =D> / I leave my guitars in the case now and just bring one out and play around the house or an appointment {GIG} / Most of all this time of year when it is dry from the heat in the house. I use a in the case humidifier in winter and keep it out in the AC in the summer / [blink] Sorry I got side tracked about the Capo, Just Don't let it stay on the guitar for a long time & Enjoy Your Music [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

discoloration happening faster in warmer climates...."polymer migration". the actual polymers in the plastic/rubber move towards the warmer areas of the material. It's what happens to plastics etc in the sunlight.

or so a high school science teacher told me.

Archived