Gibson Brands Forums

Winding a pickup

retrosurfer1959

Anybody remember playing with erector sets as a kid? I was Glad I did, I needed to wind a pickup earlier today for a friend and didn't have the right tools but his kid had an erector set so I built a pickup winder. The amazing part is it worked almost as well as the Shatten winder I usually use and didn't cost anywhere near the $400.00 a Shatten does.

See there is some benefit to the old style toys after all let's face it you could never wind a pickup with a video game. [biggrin]

IMG_0415.jpg

Anybody remember playing with erector sets as a kid? I was Glad I did, I needed to wind a pickup earlier today for a friend and didn't have the right tools but his kid had an erector set so I built a pickup winder. The amazing part is it worked almost as well as the Shatten winder I usually use and didn't cost anywhere near the $400.00 a Shatten does.

See there is some benefit to the old style toys after all let's face it you could never wind a pickup with a video game. [biggrin]

IMG_0415.jpg

That's brilliant..........and slow enough you can count the turns ? Do you have a speed control on the motor ?

SF - Actually you can't see it in the photo that I took but it has a simple dial counter (i pulled off a old copy machine) on the other side running off a second rubber band so I just wound until the wrap count was correct. The speed was set by the pulley size but the kid had enough different gears it was not a issue, what was really nice was the friction on the small motor was perfect to keep wraps tight but would stop before it would bind or break the wire like a drill would

Damian - LOL yeah probably but it's kinda fun to McGyver stuff every once in a while.

All you need is to spin a bobbin and count the turns. Anything that will get you there will work. Actually on old Epi pickups they didn't even count the turns. The used a timer.

Same with old Gibby pickups as well........

That's brilliant..........and slow enough you can count the turns ? Do you have a speed control on the motor ?

There are plenty of parts in that old Erector set you could probably make one. Failing that.. does the kid have a slot car race set?

That really is unbelievably cool! [thumbup]

Is there any chance you could do a demonstration video? I would love to see it in action!

Sorry I should have filmed it working but it was one of those things that I just did and then thought that's pretty cool as an after thought so I snapped a picture with the phone. The winder is gone now like I said it was at a friends house and it's his kids favorite toy so it's probably turned into a helicopter or something else by now. The little boy was fascinated by the pulleys and gears though and especially with the counter so I let him keep it, so he probably has the first erector set helicopter that counts blade revolutions. [wink]

When and why do you need to rewind a pick up?

Usually it's to get a specific or different tone - in this case this is a old Fender Strat and the pickup actually was damaged and had some broken wrappings, I wanted to use the old bobbins, magnets and everything else to keep it as original as possible so I just rewound the broken coil.

Archived