Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Rosweood

6stringTom

I sure wish someone on this forum would trek over to the Steel Guitar Forum and buy the J-45 Rosewood for sale there. Then maybe I can stop lusting for it, and you can write up a review of how it sounds. I don't know the guitar or the seller, but it sure does look good. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=198439. GG, you were thinking about one of these recently.

I don't believe I've ever heard a J-45 RW. I wonder how it differs in sound from the J-45 Hog and how it differs from a Martin Rosewood Dred. Hmmm, I know how I could find out. . .

I have one and let me tell you it's an amazing guitar. It was my first guitar and I had it set-up by a guy the shop I purchased it from recommended. He put a bone nut and saddle on and it sucked. I purchased my Gibson SJ-300 and pretty much played that for a while. I've had the J-45 for around 6 years and recently took it in for a set-up from a very reputable shop and WOW it has been like getting a new guitar, turns out the first guy who set it up had moved all the strings in and it was always tight spacing to me, the new luthier put on a new nut and spread em out a bit. I was shocked at how much fun it was to play the J-45 now.

I have one, a Vine model. Like Gibson101's, mine has a bone nut and saddle. It's less percussive than a mahogany J-45. Instead, it's very syrupy and lush sounding. Very different from the long-scale, rosewood AJ tone, which packs more of that percussive Gibson whack.

Here's mine with it's J-185 cousin.

picture126q.jpg

Red 333

Very interesting. It seems as though some of us have taste very alike. I have a new J45 custom in RW and a SJ300 RW. It appears as though there is a theme going here. I have had to experiment to find the optimum sound and balance for each guitar. They both have benefited from bone saddles, nuts and pins and pro luthier setups. The quality control from Gibson has left me frustrated as there were numerous high frets on the neck to be leveled. I am currently happy with elixir nanos(Med) on the J45. Great balance, much more projection and sustain. On the SJ I am trying Pearson 80/20's (med) and find that the brightness of these strings enhance upper neck work. It has the effect of making the SJ the choice for singer songwriter recording. Very nice instruments Red.

Archived