Gibson Brands Forums

Best online store to buy a Gibson Acoustic

Acousticologist

I feel that half the fun when shopping for a new instrument is the hunt. . Spotting a beauty from across the store, picking it up. Trying a few of the same guitar, and hearing subtle differences that make the heart sing.

But living in a remote city makes thus hard, and leaves the option of purchasing over the Internet.

But buying sight - unseen, never hearing the guitar, or playing it can be tricky. especially when you're laying out a few thousand $$$..

So I guess the advantage of buying on the net is being able to find the cheapest price and compare it with hundreds of stores in an instant.

As opposed to driving round and finding the sweetest sounding one...

Has anyone had a great experience buying online?

Good price? Good service??

Can anyone recommend a good online store?

Thanks heaps

Instead of stock pics, I like the stores that show pics of the extact guitar -

Like Wildwood and Sweetwater. There's others, these are just examples.

My personal fav is Fullers. Gibson pulled their online advertising, but they'll email you pics of the guitars they've got in stock. They are a huge dealer, but work great with their customers.

For Gibsons I have traded with

Fullers treated me right. I had good luck negotiating with them for a better price.

FQMS did not give me the same warm fuzzy feeling, but they did deal on price as well.

I have also bought from Janet Davis and Elderly with great results, but I didn't buy Gibson brand stuff from them. Davis does carry it.

My first choice move would be to call Fullers- they get an awful lot of email queries and don't always pay attention, but if you call and start telling someone what you want you can get a whole bunch of pictures of all sorts of stuff you might want. I have spoken with Jeremy Fuller on a number of occasions and always gotten good prices, good descriptions, good service.

I know the feeling. I've been hoping for over a year the right 12 string would appear at arm's length. Not gonna happen. Sweetwater, is pretty good on the instrument itself and 'cause you get a contact salesman posing as your sound engineer. But, it is a live human contact to stay on til you are happy, and they have a decent return policy. * They have raised their prices about 10 % in recent months.

Hall

A bit off topis but for the life of me I just dont understand how anyone would buy a gutar unplayed. Especially since they are such personal and subjective. Five J-45's would all sound somewhat different, hence why would you ever want to spend 2K on an unplayed guitar that you might be disappointed with, or worse not as good as it could be ?

Instead of stock pics, I like the stores that show pics of the extact guitar -

Like Wildwood and Sweetwater. There's others, these are just examples.

My personal fav is Fullers. Gibson pulled their online advertising, but they'll email you pics of the guitars they've got in stock. They are a huge dealer, but work great with their customers.

would you get a large chunk off the prices advertised on the site, or is that the price you would actually pay?

Cheers

Matt

I bought New J-100 from Gruhn's received the guitar and it was set up right and in perfect condition. I did speak to the salesman twice before buying. I also bought a J-45 from First Quality. It was reduced price. I ordered on a Sunday thru internet. I spoke to the salesman on Monday to verify the sale and was told the Guitar was damaged. It was not advertised as damaged. I told them to send it to me anyway as I could always return it. When I received the guitar it took me about 10 minutes to find the damage, it was that small. About twice the size of a pin head. The set up was perfect never had a new guitar set up as well. I would never part with it. I am sure there are many experiences quite different from mine but I have no problem buying unplayed as I know that most quality built instruments can always be adjusted as to action and string gauge and if it does not sound good today keep playing and adjusting.It will always improve.

A bit off topis but for the life of me I just dont understand how anyone would buy a gutar unplayed. Especially since they are such personal and subjective. Five J-45's would all sound somewhat different, hence why would you ever want to spend 2K on an unplayed guitar that you might be disappointed with, or worse not as good as it could be ?

EuroAussie: Exactly why I have not purchased a 12 string in a year of searching. I have to have it in my hands, play it and hear it's tone. Not easy to find a good one in this area.

Hall

I bought New J-100 from Gruhn's received the guitar and it was set up right and in perfect condition. I did speak to the salesman twice before buying. I also bought a J-45 from First Quality. It was reduced price. I ordered on a Sunday thru internet. I spoke to the salesman on Monday to verify the sale and was told the Guitar was damaged. It was not advertised as damaged. I told them to send it to me anyway as I could always return it. When I received the guitar it took me about 10 minutes to find the damage, it was that small. About twice the size of a pin head. The set up was perfect never had a new guitar set up as well. I would never part with it. I am sure there are many experiences quite different from mine but I have no problem buying unplayed as I know that most quality built instruments can always be adjusted as to action and string gauge and if it does not sound good today keep playing and adjusting.It will always improve.

Right on! I hear ya and and with ya on that. [thumbup]With vintage stuff, I find that it will 'guide me' to the way it wants to be played and sound its best [wink]

I bought a Guild 12-string last year and went through the same anguish of not being able to find one locally. I'd played several but those weren't for sale. What I ended up doing is having one of my fellow Let's Talk Guild members take a look at one that was available in his neck of the woods. He gave it a thumbs-up, I bought it, and I've been very happy with it. Actually, one of the Guilds I tried before buying mine was one I evaluated for another LTG member who'd spotted it on Craigslist in Raleigh and asked if I'd give it a look. Had he not bought it, I might have. It wasn't perfect but pretty darn good for its age and price.

Do members of this forum ever do that? Obviously, it can be a petty big hassle if you're bombarded with requests to try out and review a whole bunch of instruments, but is it legit to ask someone to check out an instrument or two in their locale? I hope to buy an SJ-200 in a couple of months but they're thin on the ground around here. Is it bad form to ask if someone would take a look if I find some I'm potentially interested in? The advantages are obvious to the potential buyer but I wouldn't want to be a pain in the butt if this isn't the sort of thing that people here do from time to time.

Some interesting posts here.

would you get a large chunk off the prices advertised on the site, or is that the price you would actually pay? ...

Some sites will deal if you call them to order instead of clicking "Buy" online.

A bit off topis but for the life of me I just dont understand how anyone would buy a gutar unplayed. ...

Location, location, location. Some folks are stymied by their geographical location and/or local stock situations. Sometimes taking a long trip to look at guitars isn't feesible. So, with a good return policy, buying online is doable for some folks.

I bought a Guild 12-string last year and went through the same anguish of not being able to find one locally. ... What I ended up doing is having one of my fellow Let's Talk Guild members take a look at one that was available in his neck of the woods. He gave it a thumbs-up, I bought it, and I've been very happy with it. ... Do members of this forum ever do that? ...

I've seen that happen. Also, some members seek suggestions and recommendations.

I ordred a few from Music Villa before I knew what I was doing. Figured with them so close to the Gibson shop I couldn't do any better. I over paid for them for sure and the last one was damaged in shipping so I sent it back. At the time I mentioned the forums and was still taken advantage of because I was new to buying guitars. Funny enough both guitars I kept from Music Villa had some cosmetic issues that at the time really bothered me. I would never shop there again.

If I was to but a new Gibson I would go the Fullers route.

Good luck.

I tried browsing fullers guitar collection online today, and found it a struggle to see the Gibsons they carry.

It kept taking me to Gibsons webpage...

Am I hitting buttons like a monkey?? Or is the site difficult to navigate??? Or is that what the store is supposed to do??

The way I understand it is they are not allowed to list their Gibson guitars on their site for some reason. I've not a clue why though... [confused]

Fullers -

In my post above (#2), I said: "My personal fav is Fullers. Gibson pulled their online advertising, but they'll email you pics of the guitars they've got in stock. They are a huge dealer, but work great with their customers."

Gibson has a "complicated" system set up for their dealers. When online sales got big, there were problems between dealers, so Gibson setup yet more rules. Basically, according to Gibson's rules, Fullers is not allowed to advertise or display their Gibson stock online. If you'd like to see what they've got, you have to email them or walk into their store. They frequently have exceptional special order guitars from Gibson, so it's worth it to email or call.

> No affiliation <

Archived