Gibson Brands Forums

Black Fingers

w7ptt

I've used Ernie Ball and D'Addario and usually don't have any problems with black fingers ... how often do you change your strings? Maybe oxidation?

Every person has different amounts of chemicals/substances excreting from their fingertips. Each of us presses down on the strings with a different pressure, different angle, etc.

It is not oxidation. It is worse with newer strings.

Just because your fingers don't turn black means nothing.

BTW, I think I know why they turn black. It's because of the metal coating on the strings interacting with the chemicals excreting through my skin.

And....if that's not it, I don't really care why they turn black. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not mad, nor am I trying to be mean. I think, perhaps, you have not read all the posts or misunderstood something.

The reason for my original post had nothing to do with wanting to find out why my fingers turn black.

Up until my post, everyone had been posting that it was the fretboard. And that is what I hear all the time.

My point, and the point of several others here, is that sometimes it absolutely can NOT be the fretboard.

Like when you are playing on a maple fretboard.

Every person has different amounts of chemicals/substances excreting from their fingertips. Each of us presses down on the strings with a different pressure, different angle, etc.

It is not oxidation. It is worse with newer strings.

Just because your fingers don't turn black means nothing.

I don't care to get into a pissing match with you, but since you mentioned it, are you implying that the angle at which your fingers meet the strings can cause your fingers to turn black? Now that just don't make any sense whatsoever. [confused]

I must say, the "douchyness" of some of the people on this forum is a bit much. +:-@

I don't care to get into a pissing match with you, but since you mentioned it, are you implying that the angle at which your fingers meet the strings can cause your fingers to turn black? Now that just don't make any sense whatsoever. [confused]

I must say, the "douchyness" of some of the people on this forum is a bit much. +:-@

I wrote quite a lot in that post. And out of all I wrote you find one thing that you don't understand. You declare it makes no sense, and that somehow I am a "douch" for saying it.

No, I'm not implying what you thought I was.

And I don't care to waist my time explaining something to you that I believe is easily understood by most.

Grow up.

played ir again today, and noticed that this time I have black lines on my fingers , that would say more its the strings, going to change them this weekend .

still curious about the fretboard , I also have a zakk bullseye and the fretboard is darker , this zv is dark and light streaks?

Archived