Gibson Brands Forums

The SG is mine!!! (NGD)

guitargreg1993

once again, thanks guys!! [thumbup] ive only had her a few days now but i love her and i'm starting to really get a feel for how she plays... gonna spend some more bonding time later today when i go out looking at amps; should be really fun [biggrin]

For what it's worth, I think the SG is the best overall solidbody. Period.

Take advantage of getting the original pickups, too.

If you have it set up with strings of your choice, there's not much you can't do with an SG. It even can do jazz rather decently or the wildest of rock substyles.

Good on you...

Oh, for an amp as you describe, I personally think the Deluxe Reverb is "it." But it may be a bit on the pricey side new, depending on your budget. For what it's worth, I've read good reviews on a Deluxe Reverb emulator box that can be run into even a solid state amp and...

m

thanks milod!! i really respect your opinion; you're one of the most wise and trusted guys on the forums and hearing input from you is always good no matter what the topic is [thumbup]

as far as strings go, it currently has a set a d'addario 9's on it but next time they're changed im putting on either dean markley blue steel's or dunlops (both are 10 gauge). most likely the dunlops though since i got them for free cuz the guys want me to try them out and tell them how i like the dunlops. maybe in the future, ill try some other types of strings but for now im happy with the blue steel's.

deluxe reverb's are great amps and they sound phenominal, but $1000 is a little too high of a price for me. i was looking to spend maybe about $500-600.... but you're right; deluxe reverb's are amazing [thumbup]

The seams can be pretty hard to see.

The best way to find them is to look at the guitar from the bottom (where the strap button is, neck pointing away from you) and you should see sort of a V pattern in the grain. That would be a seam.

hmmm i took a close look; i still couldn't see any seams so either i got lucky w/ a one piece body or they're just REEEALLY hard to see... do you think the folks at Gibson would be able to tell me if it was a 1 or 2 piece body if I emailed them the serial #?

Post a picture of the bottom where the strap button is (not the back) and I should be able to tell you. If you do just make sure there's a lot of light so the grain is visible.

i was looking at the back of the body when i should've been looking at the side of it.... i couldn't get a good pic of the side of the body, but i looked closely and i could clearly see 2 seams, so i guess it's a 3 piece body... o well, it still sounds great [biggrin]

but yea, i followed the seams to the back of the body and i could barely tell they were there... they blend in soo well. but i guess thats a good thing though cuz it would detract from the physical appearance if the seams were really visible lol [thumbup]

If it feels and sounds good then who cares how many pieces the body is.

yep [thumbup]

If it hasn't got strap locks (like Schaller's) that would be the FIRST think I would do. I added them to my SG and now I can jump around feeling absolutely secure!

~DB

thanks; i probably should do that too. i was thinkin of getting a bone nut and real wiring put in, but i will ask about getting straplocks too [biggrin]

Archived