Gibson Brands Forums

cheapest Gibson

Doin Montary

i am trying to educate myself before buying my next guitar, i strongly gravitate to the Gibson brand name. So far I am learning that some main difference between a $7k guitar and a $1k guitar can be paint, binding, and gold accessories. I guess the farmer in me says i dont need no golden shovel, just a good one.

that being said, bare bones, cheapest finish, no binding, which Gibson model delivers the best performance for the low bucks entry fee ?

The Melody Maker is a good guitar, but is not the most versatile, but it is under $500. The Les Paul Studio faded models are about $800, and will be MUCH better than a Melody Maker. If you want the cheapest REAL Gibson guitar, the SG Standard ($1200) or a gloss finish Les Paul Studio ($1400) are excellent choices! The SG may not be the style guitar you like, cause it looks like a devil lol. But the Les Paul Studio will blow your mind. My vote.......go with the Les Paul Studio.

BTW my SG special is as REAL a Gibson as any other.

Ditto on my LP Studio Faded...

What gives with the "not a REAL" Gibson thing anyway? If it was made by Gibson, and has "Gibson" on the headstock, doesn't that make it a REAL Gibson?

Not picking a fight, I just don't seem to get it.

The Melody Maker is a good guitar, but is not the most versatile, but it is under $500. The Les Paul Studio faded models are about $800, and will be MUCH better than a Melody Maker. If you want the cheapest REAL Gibson guitar, the SG Standard ($1200) or a gloss finish Les Paul Studio ($1400) are excellent choices! The SG may not be the style guitar you like, cause it looks like a devil lol. But the Les Paul Studio will blow your mind. My vote.......go with the Les Paul Studio.

lots of good replys, thanks everybody [biggrin]

i visited the nearest Gibson dealer, there were 2 used guitars that caught my eye, one was a ( Melody Maker for $450 )and the other was a ( 2003 LP Special that had the pickups changed to Dave Mustains for $550 ) i know the dealer also has an overstock of wine lp studio models asking $1300??

lots of good replys, thanks everybody [biggrin]

i visited the nearest Gibson dealer, there were 2 used guitars that caught my eye, one was a ( Melody Maker for $450 )and the other was a ( 2003 LP Special that had the pickups changed to Dave Mustains for $550 ) i know the dealer also has an overstock of wine lp studio models asking $1300??

Did you like the LP Special? Sounds like a OK deal.

Did you like the LP Special? Sounds like a OK deal.

i was tempted to act impulsively, wanted to check prices on internet first ... i am not sure if a Dave Mustaine is an upgrade or defecit ... i was also trying to find out what they sold for new ... and it gets confusing ... the range in price is crazy.

i was tempted to act impulsively, wanted to check prices on internet first ... i am not sure if a Dave Mustaine is an upgrade or defecit ... i was also trying to find out what they sold for new ... and it gets confusing ... the range in price is crazy.

Well they are high output pickups, what genres do you play?

Well they are high output pickups, what genres do you play?

blues and jazz , played a 335 in the college jazz band, i like the 335 tone, i have been playing " inside the house " since college, "unplugged". I am playing a lot of jimi hendrix but more in an acoustic format, no guitars on fire, no feedback ... lol ... i guess my genre would be Barry Manilow playing Jimi Hendrix :-({|= lol ... you think there is a niche for that ? The guitar i really want is a 336 with a bigsby ... Gibson isnt knocking my door down to bring me one... and i am a poor man. +:-@

Usually the Studio versions have very little bling to pay for.

The machine shed mechanic in me says, if you're going to buy jewelery, it had better be placed on someone who will kiss you back. [love]

Check out Gibson's product pages, choose your model LP, SG, etc, then sort by lowest price to highest price. This will give you an idea. The Studio's or 'Specials' will be near the bottom, price wise, then up the ladder to special runs that, apparently did not sell. The SG Zoot Suit is now listed for under 2 grand.

For acoustics, you're looking at 'Song Makers' for less than 2 grand as well.

Then there's the Melody Maker line that is super cheap. But some don't consider them 'real' Gibsons. There are 3 models for less than a grand. They look like they'd be a lot of fun to play though. And.. you probably won't mind letting your grand kids take a few licks on it either.

...there were 2 used guitars that caught my eye, one was a ( Melody Maker for $450 )and the other was a ( 2003 LP Special that had the pickups changed to Dave Mustains for $550 )

From the choices you listed, I'd go for the LP Special. I've got 2 of them (a '98 & a '00). They're great guitars. They have the growl of a regular Lester, but theyre a little lighter (no maple cap). I've read that the lack of a maple cap makes them sound a little darker, but I can't tell. I'd recommend changing the pups back to something not so hot though. -Based on the kind of music you're into playing. Check on eBay frequently also. LP Specials pop up on there pretty often.

From the choices you listed, I'd go for the LP Special. I've got 2 of them (a '98 & a '00). They're great guitars. They have the growl of a regular Lester, but theyre a little lighter (no maple cap). I've read that the lack of a maple cap makes them sound a little darker, but I can't tell. I'd recommend changing the pups back to something not so hot though. -Based on the kind of music you're into playing. Check on eBay frequently also. LP Specials pop up on there pretty often.

thanks Twiz,

thats the advice i was really looking for, i researched prices and they showed a New Special @ $1200 ??? $550 is a pretty good job on the Special ? i was considering adding a Bigsby , new strings and setup ... total price of about $700 ??? Can you mix match the pickups ? keep the Dave Mustaine on the neck and put a Humbucker at the bridge or is that a bad idea ?

thanks Twiz,

thats the advice i was really looking for, i researched prices and they showed a New Special @ $1200 ??? $550 is a pretty good job on the Special ? i was considering adding a Bigsby , new strings and setup ... total price of about $700 ??? Can you mix match the pickups ? keep the Dave Mustaine on the neck and put a Humbucker at the bridge or is that a bad idea ?

$550 is in the ballpark I'd say. One thing I always do, is try a quick search on eBay to give me an idea of what something is going for. I don't think I'd pay much more than $600 or so for one of those LP Specials. -Any higher than that, and you're almost getting into LP Studio prices. The Bigsby idea is pretty cool. Bigsby makes one that you can put on that doesn't require any extra drilling/routing. I think some people on the forum have added them to one of their guitars. Sorry, I can't remember who. As for your idea with the pickups, I don't see why that wouldn't work. The worst that could happen is you don't like it, and you can change 'em later. Good luck.

Archived