Gibson Brands Forums

One-a my favorite guitarists

Shnate McDuanus

It's all good--you were discussing the Ibanez PGM, which is still on topic as it's Paul's signature guitar. May I also add, it's one of the nicest lines they offer. I'm going to have to pick one up some day--especially now that I'm really getting good enough to be able to play some of his songs. [thumbup]

I want this one:

IMG_0706.JPG

But one of those is rare and pricey. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all good--you were discussing the Ibanez PGM, which is still on topic as it's Paul's signature guitar. May I also add, it's one of the nicest lines they offer. I'm going to have to pick one up some day--especially now that I'm really getting good enough to be able to play some of his songs. [thumbup]

I want this one:

IMG_0706.JPG

But one of those is rare and pricey. :)

yea that is nice, i seen a pic of someone playing that on stage on mojo's FB page [thumbup]

I'm not a shred fan but I do love to watch those guys - really talented and fun to watch.

PG is really talented and to my ears he is one of the soulful shredders - some are not.

I listened to that first clip and I realized that it reminds me of early Jazz fusion - not entirely but they are distant cousins with perhaps Al DiMeola's first studio album right after he left Return to Forever. Or perhaps some early Dixie Dregs.

Either way, it was good and I'm glad I listened.

I'm not a shred fan but I do love to watch those guys - really talented and fun to watch.

PG is really talented and to my ears he is one of the soulful shredders - some are not.

I listened to that first clip and I realized that it reminds me of early Jazz fusion - not entirely but they are distant cousins with perhaps Al DiMeola's first studio album right after he left Return to Forever. Or perhaps some early Dixie Dregs.

Either way, it was good and I'm glad I listened.

There seems to be quite a bit of jazz in his playing. The thing that makes him stand out from Malmsteen, Vai, and Satch is that Paul does not play fast just to play fast. I'm not knocking the other guys' skills. But let's face it, YM's ego is bigger than he is (for those who don't know, he's a giant), Vai is.....Vai. I neer really cared for Satch. Paul has no ego. He just plain rules.

[drool]

Just got off the phone with a guy at Sam Ash that I work with all the time. He's trying to locate the white one with trem. I told him I would take the blue one if the white is not available. 2/25/11 I'm finally pulling the trigger. I'm gonna sell 2 or 3 guitars to offset the cost of the PGM but it will be totally worth it. I will be sad to see my MIJ Jackson Kelly go but the only way I will be ok is if it is replaced by the PGM. Bitter sweet.

Just got off the phone with a guy at Sam Ash that I work with all the time. He's trying to locate the white one with trem. I told him I would take the blue one if the white is not available. 2/25/11 I'm finally pulling the trigger. I'm gonna sell 2 or 3 guitars to offset the cost of the PGM but it will be totally worth it. I will be sad to see my MIJ Jackson Kelly go but the only way I will be ok is if it is replaced by the PGM. Bitter sweet.

nice one!

Gonna be the blue one. The white one is discontinued and none of the stores have it. My guy was able to locate 1 blue and 1 sunburst at another store. He's gonna check what price he can get me on the blue and if I agree, have it shipped to the store and on 2/25 it will be mine. [drool]

!Bvc1c,!EWk~$(KGrHqYOKiwEwRToRkPCBMEoTj3oq!~~_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

That's how it all started with me. I was a Blues Aficionado for the longest time, and always loved good Rock or Progressive, but never went in for Shred. Then little things that Megadeth and Satriani were doing started to catch my ear, then saw Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big and started to realize there was something to listen to there, even if it wasn't rooted in the Blues.

That's how it all started with me. I was a Blues Aficionado for the longest time, and always loved good Rock or Progressive, but never went in for Shred. Then little things that Megadeth and Satriani were doing started to catch my ear, then saw Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big and started to realize there was something to listen to there, even if it wasn't rooted in the Blues.

Paul is rooted in awesome.

Interesting question, Jaxson. When a shredder plays two whole notes is he still shredding? [confused]

Kidding aside, my Favorites "Shredders" usually aren't flooring it the whole time. Satriani and Vai know when to bend and hold notes and write amazingly simple and lyrical melodies, but their acrobatics are what gets the attention. Although I've never really seen Paul Gilbert slow down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vS6syL0-jM

On a side note. What's with the Four Strings on the bottom neck?

A question about shredding, would it kill you to play two whole notes?

Can't you just leave well enough alone? Oh, also, how can you be so sure there's no such variation in shredding? I've heard whole notes.

Or are you going to say something about how you can't play with "feeling" if you're not playing slow pentatonic licks you stole from Little Milton? [rolleyes]

I am not, and never will be, a "shredder!" I can't play

like that. But, you know what...that's ok!

I'm impressed, with those that have that talent, and ability.

I don't feel like anyone has to validate their love, of any

style of music, or type of guitar playing...period. That's

personal. If it's what you love, that's all the validation

you need. We only seem to get into trouble, when we try to

slam or, in the opposite case, over hype something, needlessly.

I'm sorry, that we have to "frame" or "qualify," some of our posts,

in some context, that accentuates our differences, rather than just

being able to appreciate them. We all love guitar! Guitar playing,

is as varible, and diverse, as are the choices of instruments. That's

the beauty of it.

I don't always understand someone's "love" of a style or performer,

but...So What?! Sorry, if this seems like a "rant,"...it isn't, truly.

I just don't want people to feel like they have to appologize, up front,

for loving what they love, and to (somehow) have to qualify it, to "us."

That's all.

Cheers, and Rock On!

CB

Can't you just leave well enough alone? Oh, also, how can you be so sure there's no such variation in shredding? I've heard whole notes.

Or are you going to say something about how you can't play with "feeling" if you're not playing slow pentatonic licks you stole from Little Milton? [rolleyes]

Sounds like somebody needs a nap!

These guys play faster then I can listen.... [biggrin]

Archived