Gibson Brands Forums

Roy Schmeck for sale or trade????

onewilyfool

Vintage converted for sale????? Let me know!!!

No way you can have mine! (First, because I'm not selling, and, second, because there are folks ahead of you in line for it.) But you should talk to Steve Swan. His shop is Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe world headquarters -- he seems to sell more than everyone else combined -- and he's just down the road from you in Burlingame.

-- Bob R

No way you can have mine! (First, because I'm not selling, and, second, because there are folks ahead of you in line for it.) But you should talk to Steve Swan. His shop is Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe world headquarters -- he seems to sell more than everyone else combined -- and he's just down the road from you in Burlingame.

-- Bob R

Bob......what do these run cost wise???? actually, my friend is looking for one, just thought I'd ask the forumites???

We have two of them -- a Stage Deluxe and a Radio Grande. The Radio Grandes go for about three times the Stage Deluxe -- $18K-$20K.

Our SD -- a 1936 -- has a huge, raw sound. Power, power, power. It is very like our '36 J-35 Trojan.

Here are some videos of the SD. 1 2 3

The RG is another whole animal. In my mind, it is a serious competitor to the mid 30's AJs and D28s as the best bluegrass cannon ever.

Good hunting.

-Tom

6500.00 +

I paid well under $6K for mine -- a really fine sounding '34 or early '35 with a few repaired cracks and replaced tuners, but no major issues -- just over a year ago. So, if a little mojo doesn't bother you, you can do better.

-- Bob

I paid well under $6K for mine -- a really fine sounding '34 or early '35 with a few repaired cracks and replaced tuners, but no major issues -- just over a year ago. So, if a little mojo doesn't bother you, you can do better.

-- Bob

Still, not cheap! I don't think I have ever seen one advertised for under 7500.00.

What do the new ones go for used???

The ones you see most often (still few & far between) are the 1994 Anniversary Radio Grandes - most of them are natural top & they made 100 of them.

I haven't kept track, but IIRC, they hover in the $2k range on ebay,

I have a 2002 Radio Grande Sunburst - however I have never seen another one for sale in the last 6 or 7 years. I think that, outside of 1994, they are all one-offs or short runs.

Link to my Smeck Reissue Page

Fuller's had a run but IIRC without the Nick Lucas style inlays & 1 7/8 rather than 1 13/16 in nut (they used to have them online, but Gibson is up to its old tricks again).

Archived