Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gilliangirl

Bandwidth usage?

The Canadian Radio and Television Commission (biased crooked organization) has recently ruled that ISP's (even bigger crooks) can start charging people for using gigabytes. So I understand that streaming/downloading movies and music will suck up a whole lot of bandwidth and people will be charged for that now, but what about watching YouTube videos? Does that use bandwidth? I'm told email and surfing does not, but what are some big bandwidth suckers?

I knew it was just a matter of time before the crooks found a way to cappitalize on the internet. And of course the government supports that. The little guy doesn't have a hope in Hades. I'm tired of getting nickelled, dimed and quartered for everything. [cursing]

Hi GG -

Sorry to hear that.

ANY data going over the internet uses bandwidth.

But media data streams (audio, Streaming-radio), particulary video and Streaming-TV, use a lot of bandwidth. So yes, YouTube falls in there. And that's where these ISPs want to make a lot of money. Kind of like charging extra for baggage on airline flights.

Yes GG, similar trends are happening here........................It's as BigKahune says.....Add to that things like Netflix..It is my understanding that today's video gamers use a lot of bandwidth as well............

Even today's surfing takes a lot more bandwidth than 10 years ago because it seems as if almost every "home page" has videos on it. "Back then," there was kinda an assumption that a lotta folks still were using dialup; now there's an assumption people have "high speed" service.

Yeah, I'm deeply bothered by the add-on price tags.

The local school system, for example, is going to get scrod - that's pluperfect subjunctive for grammar freaks - having to purchase more bandwidth just to meet current modes of education using the internet. As it is some kids will be taking a test and get dumped.

In the U.S., the 1990s telecommunications bill that still is pretty much controlling concepts, didn't have the slightest clue what the Internet and even today's cell tech would do to the whole system. I had that from one of the folks that wrote it as the biggest mistake in the thing, and he said that prior to the year 2000.

But... I also have a hunch that regardless of our opinions to the contrary, we'll see a variation of "long distance charges" for a time period for those using somewhat greater loads - at least until somebody decides to come up with a less expensive or otherwise more attractive alternative. Then they'll figure how to keep charging for stuff nobody ever uses any more like landline phones.... and...

m

GG, we aren't where you are, yet, but the debate is raging down here in the States. Net neutrality is the hot topic and the Telecom companies are doing their best to tear it down. Metered internet? Go F yourself. This will work really well to increase the digital divide too. Internet in the States will be the new privileged class luxury.

Hackers will have fun figuring out how to break into secured wireless networks and get it all for free.

There isnt any fun in that anymore since people already know how to do it.

yeah? well, at least you guys had it free for a while. when I first joined here and received my first bill, I thought it was atrocious! but duane told me if I upped my post count he would set me up with a discount! party0006.gif

Thanks for the responses, guys, and Milod, good point about all the extra garbage on the home pages. It irritates me that WE are going to be paying more for the umpteen dozen advertisements that are piggy-backed onto every single page. AFAIC, they should thank their lucky stars that we surf AT ALL and are forced to stare at their stupid advertising. Now, we'll be paying more to stare at their stupid advertising. Doesn't sound ethical to me at all. Think I'll fire off a letter to the CRTC, for what it's worth.

I wonder how much band width videoed avatars use up (damian's two legged horse for one example)?

"How dare they charge me for how much I use. I mean here-to-fore, I had one monthly bill and could use all I wanted, then now that I'm used to the convenience and 'hooked' so to speak they want to charge me a usage fee... The rat finks."

That tirade could be used today, or.. back in the day when Bell Telephone came up with a device that measured telephone call usage... Or back in the day when they first installed electric meters.

Like it or not it was bound to happen. The days of using internet resources unimpeded is about to end. >sigh<

I suspect the practice of restaurants, etc. offering free WiFi will come to a screeching halt as well.

Bad thing about the Internet from my perspective is that it becomes one's working tool for so many things.

Watch, the concept being pressed now is "cloud computing" where you won't even have your own programs, but will lease them remotely - probably also your files since they can't be opened without the cloud program anyway.

"Big Brother" will love that, too. No longer will there be private correspondence, business spreadsheets or much of anything else.

Yeah, I'm a cynic. But it's on its way. In fact, it already has started. It will allow computers to drop down to being inexpensive dumb terminals and we'll pay instead for access to a cloud. I would not be surprised to see a single delivery system on the same dumb terminals for "television" and all telecommunications.

m

I wonder how much band width videoed avatars use up (damian's two legged horse for one example)?

"How dare they charge me for how much I use. I mean here-to-fore, I had one monthly bill and could use all I wanted, then now that I'm used to the convenience and 'hooked' so to speak they want to charge me a usage fee... The rat finks."

That tirade could be used today, or.. back in the day when Bell Telephone came up with a device that measured telephone call usage... Or back in the day when they first installed electric meters.

Like it or not it was bound to happen. The days of using internet resources unimpeded is about to end. >sigh<

I suspect the practice of restaurants, etc. offering free WiFi will come to a screeching halt as well.

Bad thing about the Internet from my perspective is that it becomes one's working tool for so many things.

Watch, the concept being pressed now is "cloud computing" where you won't even have your own programs, but will lease them remotely - probably also your files since they can't be opened without the cloud program anyway.

"Big Brother" will love that, too. No longer will there be private correspondence, business spreadsheets or much of anything else.

Yeah, I'm a cynic. But it's on its way. In fact, it already has started. It will allow computers to drop down to being inexpensive dumb terminals and we'll pay instead for access to a cloud. I would not be surprised to see a single delivery system on the same dumb terminals for "television" and all telecommunications.

m

This is all cloud world...............my avitar takes up % less than any given post............get a clue............

Your Avitar takes up more space than mine does............do the math.... my people have...

Your Avitar takes up more space than mine does............do the math.... my people have...

Not trying to trash you damain or your unique avatar. I think your avatar is cool, but on slower computers, video components of a message board, such as this, tend to hog down a users's computer. Since the thread is about bandwidth, I am curious as to whether video avatars, and signatures, and animated emoticons (which I use on occasion) [blink][thumbdn][cursing][flapper][thumbup] significantly increase the bandwidth used, but forum sponsors (Gibson) and the users (us).

Lord knows, yours is not the only animated avatar. Heck I'd have one myself if I had the know-how to set one up. (Note to self, change Halloween doughnut avatar.. it's dated.)

The next thing is YouTube links, or just outright going to YouTube like sites. What will it cost us in the future?

Not trying to trash you damain or your unique avatar. I think your avatar is cool, but on slower computers, video components of a message board, such as this, tend to hog down a users's computer. Since the thread is about bandwidth, I am curious as to whether video avatars, and signatures, and animated emoticons (which I use on occasion) [blink][thumbdn][cursing][flapper][thumbup] significantly increase the bandwidth used, but forum sponsors (Gibson) and the users (us).

Lord knows, yours is not the only animated avatar. Heck I'd have one myself if I had the know-how to set one up. (Note to self, change Halloween doughnut avatar.. it's dated.)

The next thing is YouTube links, or just outright going to YouTube like sites. What will it cost us in the future?

Oh boy.....Dear T.K..........My last post was here before I ended up in the hospital.....Three days gone......my bad..

I am learning myself so much about bandwidth.........I don't know what to think myself......Hospitals, not fun......

Usage and the net are the way the world works now....