Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo truss rod cover rattle

Acousticologist

Hey

I recently got an Advanced Jumbo. She is a princess...

Though I noticed every so often the little black plastic truss rod cover rattles a little bit.

I took the cover off, and replaced it again ensuring the two screws were nice and tight.. (not tight enough to crack the wood)

Even though the cover is tight, it still moves just a. Tiny little bit...

Is this normal? Or should it be completely 100% fixed...

I do know if you tighten the screws to tight you can crack the truss rod cover / I have heard of that rattle problem before / A simple fix might be to snip a small piece of sponge and stick it under the cover / A good try without spending a lot of money / nobody will know but you / Enjoy that Nice Jumbo Gibson :-" / Greetings from North Carolina [biggrin]

Got an AJRI here and mine doesn't do that but have had plenty of vintage Gibsons that did & my old LG-2 or J-45 still does. Often a warped cover IME but didn't really matter. I just took a piece of cardboard like part of a matchbook and put it under the cover to damp it. Works, as would a piece of foam or sponge.

It is annoying for sure but an easy 'fix'.

I noticed that my Epiphone's TRC screws were not screwed in perpendicular to the cover. They were perpendicular to the fret board, but since the head stock is bent back at an angle to the fret board, the screws did not go in straight and only an edge of the screw heads engaged the TRC. Now my TRC didn't rattle. but this obvious lack of proper screw installation bugged me. Probably due to assembly line procedures or machinery. This could be part of your rattling problem. If this mis-alignment is a problem on your Gibson, remove the TRC, take a sliver of wood, tooth pick or other, large enough to fill the existing screw holes. Daub some glue in the hole and jamb the slivers into the two holes. When the glue is dry, carefully shave the slivers flush. Place the TRC in it's proper place, drill pilot holes perpendicular to the head stock, then install the TRC and screws in the normal fashion.

Make sure to install the screw next to the nut first. If you install the top on first and the TRC doesn't have nough room to fit between the upper screw and nut, installing the nut end screw could force the center of the TRC to bulge up between the screws as you drive the nut end screw home. This could set up the TRC for an anomalous vibration. This kind of bulge can be caused if the screw holes in the HS are too close together with respect to the TRC screw holes, in which case, fill the upper hole with a sliver of wood and re-drill the pilot hole. If the TRC is now permanently bowed up, it's time for a new TRC. One could flatten it by clamping it between a couple blocks of wood for a couple months to see if you can force it to stay flat. If it's under warranty, get it replaced.

Another thing to try. Flat pieces of metal, plastic, glass, or the like can and will vibrate like a thunder sheet if exposed to the proper sound frequencies. They will make a sound when they reach their resonant frequency, the frequency which it vibrates in order to resonate (make a sound). You can change the resonant frequency by changing it's mass or making a crease in it. I silenced the sheet metal cover on a heating register in a piano room once by placing a couple paper thin, refrigerator magnets on it. If your TRC fits properly but still buzzes, try sticking some poster putty, barely the size of a pencil eraser, on the back side of it to increase it's mass, thereby changing it's resonant frequency.

I have two AJ's and many other acoustics and I have never had a truss rod cover vibrate. If I were you I would do a couple of simple tests to see what is exactly going on with your guitar. First would be to take the truss rod cover off and see if the vibration is still there. Could be a lose tuner or a lose truss rod nut vibrating. There are a lot of metal mechanical parts in the vicinity and I would imagine that you might hear something like that rattling before a piece of plastic on wood.

Archived