Gibson Brands Forums

60's Tribute Les Paul Studio

xxx

Did you check Sweetwater?

Well just an "fyi" to everyone: As of last friday, GC Sherman Oaks had one in each colour (including said 5-piece GT). And GC Oxnard had a faded black one. I think Instrumental Music in Thousand Oaks might still have either the faded black or the honeyburst. I'd call first in any case, but I'm guessing the Sherman Oaks store still has a few for sure.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Charlie Brown, how does the neck on the 50's compare to the 60's tribute? I have a 50's tribute and did not think I would like thicker necks, I always played thinner Strats, but the 50's is extremely comfortable and I think I'm starting to like it more than the thinner Strat! Then the 60's tribute had to come along and get me second guessing myself, lol! I've read on other forums that the two necks were real close in feel. With you owning both I think you could give us a real good comparison!There are probably quite a few other people who would like to know as well.

Thanks,

Mark

The '50's Traditional neck is slightly "fatter" in feel. But, honestly,

it's not such a big difference, that one cannot get used to it, or the '60's,

switching back and forth, with any degree of difficulty...IMHO. Some players,

with smaller hands, will (probably) like the '60's version, a bit more. My

good friend has smaller hands, and he liked the '60's version, better. I have

medium size hands (whatever that means ;>b ), and I have NO trouble, at all,

going back and forth, between the two. Both, are quite comfortable, to me.

CB

Just saw that Gibson is out with a new 60's tribute Studio. It is supposed to be a limited edition, but I have seen no production numbers yet. Has anyone heard how many they will produce?

So in actual response to the first post of this thread: There's a press release floating around here (I can't find it...) where someone from Gibson said that they will begin building these in Feb 2011 and continue until Nov 2011. So I think it's more of a limited production "time" as opposed to a limit on the actual number that will be produced. Take this with a grain of salt, I guess, mine was made in January 2011.

FYI, Guitar Center in Cedar Rapids, IA got a GT 60's in today! I'm on a list with an online retailer and don't feel the need to pay the sales tax so I'll wait.

According to a sales rep at the online retailer I ordered from, Gibson is planning on producing 800 in each color.

J

Hi Charlie Brown, how does the neck on the 50's compare to the 60's tribute? I have a 50's tribute and did not think I would like thicker necks, I always played thinner Strats, but the 50's is extremely comfortable and I think I'm starting to like it more than the thinner Strat! Then the 60's tribute had to come along and get me second guessing myself, lol! I've read on other forums that the two necks were real close in feel. With you owning both I think you could give us a real good comparison!There are probably quite a few other people who would like to know as well.

Thanks,

Mark

I have a Goldtop 60s Tribute and a Faded SG with the 50s neck. I would say that the difference is very slim. The tip of my middle finger over hangs by a bit on the SG and a bit more on the LP. By that measurement, I'm happy with both since the SG is my 1st Gibson and the LP is my 1st brand new Gibson.

Have you held one of these apocryphal beasts with your own hands and seen it with your own eyes? I don't think they exist. Well let me qualify that by saying that some special prototype, or one made specifically for NAMM, or one made by someone's buddy at Gibson etc doesn't count :) My local dealer as well as the guy at GC told me that Gibson doesn't make *any* 1-piece body guitars anymore except out of the Custom shop. I looked at about 8 LP Standards and a few SG standards and a '61 reissue at their shop and they were all 2-piece bodies. Some of the seams are so well done that they are literally impossible to see without inspecting the back edge with a strong light and even a magnifying glass. I thought up until a few weeks ago when starting to post on these forums that my '05 SG Classic was a 1 piece. It turned out it's a 2-piece split down the middle. There is no evidence whatsoever of it on the back or the top and there is no telltale "line" whatsoever on the back edge underneath the strap button. In fact the grain was matched so well it was only after looking under a strong light and observing that the "waves" from the left side were skewed by about 1mm from the "waves" on the right side that I was able to tell... and it was so seamless that I still couldn't believe it, but it has to be. It's a 2-piece, but really really well done.

So I'm starting to see a pattern and maybe all of you guys who own these '60's Tributes can chime in. Looks like if on the original box it says it was shipped from something like "USA Finished Goods Inv", then you're going to get a butcher block, but if it was shipped from an actual person's name, then it's a nice 2-piece split down the middle. I've only seen 3 in person (one is mine) and a couple online where I was able to see the original box and they all support this. It seems the ones sent by a "person" go to local independent music stores and the others are from GC and MF type places. Also I'd be curious to see if the date it was made on has anything to do with it. I don't remember exactly, but I think mine was made in Jan 2011 sometime, I can confirm when I get home. Also I think I've done enough talking to merit me posting some pics of my own so I'm gonna try and get some of those up soon, but here's what I got for now (it's the one on the right ;))

IMG_20110227_011403.jpg

I kept my box for whatever reason and checked it after reading this. I bought mine from Musicians Friend and it says USA Finished Goods Inv on it too but I have a 2 piece body with the seam almost in the middle of the horn. You can see pictures of it in my previous post of when I got her. Checking my serial number, she was stamped on 2-3-11 and the inspection card says 2-14-11. I have noticed that some people have different gig bags. I have the black and white one with the small side pocket and imitation lamb interior. I think this one is a bit better for protecting the guitar but with less carrying space. I can barely fit my strap and tuner in it.

Have you held one of these apocryphal beasts with your own hands and seen it with your own eyes? I don't think they exist. Well let me qualify that by saying that some special prototype, or one made specifically for NAMM, or one made by someone's buddy at Gibson etc doesn't count :) My local dealer as well as the guy at GC told me that Gibson doesn't make *any* 1-piece body guitars anymore except out of the Custom shop. I looked at about 8 LP Standards and a few SG standards and a '61 reissue at their shop and they were all 2-piece bodies. Some of the seams are so well done that they are literally impossible to see without inspecting the back edge with a strong light and even a magnifying glass. I thought up until a few weeks ago when starting to post on these forums that my '05 SG Classic was a 1 piece. It turned out it's a 2-piece split down the middle. There is no evidence whatsoever of it on the back or the top and there is no telltale "line" whatsoever on the back edge underneath the strap button. In fact the grain was matched so well it was only after looking under a strong light and observing that the "waves" from the left side were skewed by about 1mm from the "waves" on the right side that I was able to tell... and it was so seamless that I still couldn't believe it, but it has to be. It's a 2-piece, but really really well done.

Well, I don't mean to be a bragging jerk, but I have one. It was really hard to put my hands on, but it's a tone monster. I had a 50's, which was super-nice, but this 60's edges it out. It's just perfect.

Can I get a boo yah?

I have purshcased both the 50's and 60's model and one of the NEW JR's for friends whom I give lessons due to the discounts I get.

You should certainly test ride a couple of thme before you choose ,the wieght difference between TWO models can be huge thus affecting the tone of the guitar.

Some have bodies of put ogether 3-4 piece bodies. This new way of drying n gluesing is not only terrible for reonation to vibrate theought the one pieve base body, but end up in crack similar to those that appear on an acoustic guitar not properly caerd for.

Though a they come with ORANGE DROPS caps inthem and sound rather good...there ability to stay in tune and intonated I'm not sure the reason why but I am thinking that they dried them to much and they are no sucking in humidity like a sponge.

DO NOT BE FOOLED these like those NEW JR'S ARE GUITAR CENTER ONLY exclusive's meaning they get to spec the grade of the wood etc. These are NOT the guitar you want if you are gonnaplay out a couple toimes qw week but is a great second guitar or for the guy who wants to try a P-90 equipped ax.

I got the new JR for 550.00 and found one that weiged maybe 5 lbs and another that was much lighter, but the time I grabbed the 3rd one and pluggeed itinto a Deluxe Reverb it did NOT sound bad , once again I would prefer the standard Jr with a P-90 but the one I tired was cewrtainly different and withthe puch /pull pots versatile I guess I am an old school LESPAUL JR player and when I thik JR I thiink a P-90 SPECIAL 2 P-90's or 100's.

My only consideration and suggestion for you guys is to try a bunch till ya find the one with fee resonation and the best sound. They do sell for 899.00 Now but I am sure a savy buyer can persuade them into gettingone for 750.00 but the Guitar that GC specs are for the BIGGEST profit so quality must suffer.

Once again though I would not use this as my go to guitar , it can be used with some enjoyyment as a 1-2 song ax but don;tput your rep on it.

Two decent deals....just remeber choose well and upodate the small stuff be ready for some potential neck problems due to the SPEED DRYING but IMHO not a bad deal.

Just keep in mind the TRIBUTE is no 56 re-issue and the JR is not made of the same products that the GIBSON LESPAUL JR is , I thought the attraction to a JR was a P-90 and if ya have a LES PAUL you can just put your selector switch to the Bridge ane get the same tone yet have more with a two pup set up. Nothing can beat the quality of the tone froma P-90 hene it;s reason for being the longest lasting and most replicated pick up in history.

The same with the JR..... it is not what you would expect but it was different and IMO different gives us different tones thus causing us to be inspired to write differently....that is IMHO the only BIG selling point. I can;t see these every catching on as well as the standard Jr. still i say a fair deal for the money just pick the right one forr you

I hope that helps you guys in your decesion making....on a 1- qo the Tribute gtes a 5 and the JR a 6....Just remember GC and it;s rep when buying.

St james

I have purshcased both the 50's and 60's model and one of the NEW JR's for friends whom I give lessons due to the discounts I get.

You should certainly test ride a couple of thme before you choose ,the wieght difference between TWO models can be huge thus affecting the tone of the guitar.

Some have bodies of put ogether 3-4 piece bodies. This new way of drying n gluesing is not only terrible for reonation to vibrate theought the one pieve base body, but end up in crack similar to those that appear on an acoustic guitar not properly caerd for.

Though a they come with ORANGE DROPS caps inthem and sound rather good...there ability to stay in tune and intonated I'm not sure the reason why but I am thinking that they dried them to much and they are no sucking in humidity like a sponge.

DO NOT BE FOOLED these like those NEW JR'S ARE GUITAR CENTER ONLY exclusive's meaning they get to spec the grade of the wood etc. These are NOT the guitar you want if you are gonnaplay out a couple toimes qw week but is a great second guitar or for the guy who wants to try a P-90 equipped ax.

I got the new JR for 550.00 and found one that weiged maybe 5 lbs and another that was much lighter, but the time I grabbed the 3rd one and pluggeed itinto a Deluxe Reverb it did NOT sound bad , once again I would prefer the standard Jr with a P-90 but the one I tired was cewrtainly different and withthe puch /pull pots versatile I guess I am an old school LESPAUL JR player and when I thik JR I thiink a P-90 SPECIAL 2 P-90's or 100's.

My only consideration and suggestion for you guys is to try a bunch till ya find the one with fee resonation and the best sound. They do sell for 899.00 Now but I am sure a savy buyer can persuade them into gettingone for 750.00 but the Guitar that GC specs are for the BIGGEST profit so quality must suffer.

Once again though I would not use this as my go to guitar , it can be used with some enjoyyment as a 1-2 song ax but don;tput your rep on it.

Two decent deals....just remeber choose well and upodate the small stuff be ready for some potential neck problems due to the SPEED DRYING but IMHO not a bad deal.

Just keep in mind the TRIBUTE is no 56 re-issue and the JR is not made of the same products that the GIBSON LESPAUL JR is , I thought the attraction to a JR was a P-90 and if ya have a LES PAUL you can just put your selector switch to the Bridge ane get the same tone yet have more with a two pup set up. Nothing can beat the quality of the tone froma P-90 hene it;s reason for being the longest lasting and most replicated pick up in history.

The same with the JR..... it is not what you would expect but it was different and IMO different gives us different tones thus causing us to be inspired to write differently....that is IMHO the only BIG selling point. I can;t see these every catching on as well as the standard Jr. still i say a fair deal for the money just pick the right one forr you

I hope that helps you guys in your decesion making....on a 1- qo the Tribute gtes a 5 and the JR a 6....Just remember GC and it;s rep when buying.

St james

I saw the JR's on sale at GC over presidents day weekend for $499. I wouldn't have paid $299 for one, for any reason, the three they had were junk.

Nice. Did you just find this at a store, or did you have some sort of "connections"? ;)

Nobody at Gibson, if that's what you mean. But I know a guy at a store, not just walking in, etc. Maybe it just flew under the radar because everbody's focused on GT and HB.

Just got an e-mail from G.C. and my worn cherry burst is on its way to the store in Totowa NJ pickup on saturday. I had originally wanted a gold top but canceled the order when I purchased a Joe Bonamassa les paul epiphone. Very happy with this piece. I will post a pic of it when it arrives

This guys pretty stoked!!!! Finally got to sit down and put some real time on playing one of these bad boys. Im def partial to the 60s run vs the 50s. The neck is super comfortable and fits my hand like a glove.

We just got 6 of these in at Sam Ash in Hollywood. Anyone in the LA area is encouraged to drop by and test one for you self. Anyone interested feel free to stop by, call, or message Adam and I'll be sure to get you a gift card on the house and free tax if shipping is involved.

I got my Gold Top today.

I was able to get in a couple hours playing time. I was blown away by the tones of the P90's.

The set up right out of the box is to my satisfaction, and as others have stated this thing plays like butter.

The finish could be a little better, but to get a Les Paul that plays and sounds like this for $799, and I got them to throw in a new Monster cord....I'm not complaining.

I read a lot of the posts about how many peices the back are made of. It looks to me like this one is either a 3 or 4 piece back. That doesn't hurt the resonance of this guitar a bit! A freind that plays professionally came by, I let him play it...He was so impressed he said he's going to try to get one.

I"ll post a pic if I remember how to.

60sTributeGoldTop001.jpg

60sTributeGoldTop005.jpg

Congratulations, RRIDER...looks great! I'm sure you'll only enjoy it more,

the more you play it! I know I have, with mine. P-90's, really are awesome!

;>)

CB

Thanks CB. When I told my wife I ordered this guitar, she was OK with it but not real happy with the idea.

Today when she got home I was playing, she was totally shocked at the tone of it. I handed it to her she sat down with it for about 15 minutes..Her first words were "I wasn't expecting anything like that". She was blown away with the sound and how easy this guitar plays.

I hope I didn't just lose my new GT. :rolleyes:

hello folks.

i posted pics earlier on my honeyburst 60s.

i havent had a chance to play it until today.

i opened it up and the high e has this awful ring to it.

im no luthier, but obviously this guitar needs some help.

what should i do, return it or take it to a luthier to look at?

i think it is the nut, the way it was cut, i had a similar problem on a FSR Telecaster, the high E portion of the nut wasnt filed correctly from the factory

i just hate spending money on a brand new guitar

any suggestions or similar problems would help, thanks

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, having just bought my first Gibson yesterday! I've wanted one for years and years, so it's a bit of a dream come true for me.

I fell in love with the Worn Cherry Burst 60s Tribute, and her name is Roxanne. (ha!)

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

(sorry image quality kinda stinks, iPhone pics)

This is my first NEW guitar since I was 13 years old, so it was a big step for me. My others are mostly junkers too, so this is my first American made, and as I said, my first Gibson. The P90s sound amazing, and I love how comfortable the thin neck feels. I have freakishly skinny fingers, so it works for my weird spider hands somehow.

Anyway,

As you can notice in the picture, it came sans Pickguard, which I really liked the look of at first but am now unsure of. I know some prefer without, but since this thing is a beaut' compared to my other guitars, I'm being the overprotective first-time father to it and don't want to scratch it up. I need some advice about this.

First, I don't even know if it was supposed to be shipped without a pickguard, as it is repeatedly mentioned in the specs (though not checked off on my inspection/warranty info). Should I contact Gibson about this? Is it "normal"?

Secondly, if I had to purchase a pickguard (somehow?), is there an alternative to drilling holes in my poor guitar? I wish I could just clamp the sucker on to practice without damaging the body and be able to remove it for shows etc.

Thirdly, should I bother with a pickguard in the first place? The placement and size is pretty aesthetically pleasing in itself, but is it worth the hassle?

Haha, my first post and already rambling. Thanks a lot in advance for the help. So glad I can finally join you guys in Gibsonland, USA!

Archived