Gibson Brands Forums

60's Tribute Les Paul Studio

xxx

I have been waiting impatiently also Yameto, I placed my order Feb 5 for a GoldTop Tribute 60's from GC and also one from Sam Ash. LPoser

I've been checking with GC online and they claim to have two shipments coming, one on the 21st and another on the 31st, they told me that I should have my ordered filled in on the one arriving tomorrow and like I said I ordered on the 10th/11th of Feb so I would imagine your order should be on that shipment also, getting closer..LPosEr....

Best of luck to you Sir! Post pics after you get them,

Cheers,

Yameto

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi..new here...thinking about buying a 60's tribute....saw a used 50's tribute for sale near me.

Couple questions for you guys who own both...

Are the bodies (50's and 60' tributes) the same thickness?

Are these guitars thinner than say, a VOS Les Paul Goldtop?

Does the 50's have bigger frets?

Thanks!

Both '50's & 60's bodies are 1 3/4" thick, at the upper bout (next to the neck).

Don't know, about an R-6...but my LP "Classic" (Standard) is 2" thick, at the same

location. The fret width (thickness) is identical, on all 3 @ approximately 3/32"(+/-).

All measurements done with standard metal tape measure, and not calipers. So...

Electronically, the '50's had "orange drop" caps, the '60's does not. Both have

the same Gibson P-90's. No binding, on body or neck. They come with (very rare)

1-piece bodies, up to (rare) 7 piece bodies. The more common seem to be 3 and 4

piece bodies, or with (less common) 2-piece bodies, as well.

Hope that helps, some.

CB

Ordered my 60's Goldtop from Guitar Center on January 30/31. It arrived yesterday, but today (3/23/11) was when I opened the box. Definitely has the smell of lacquer. Wish I could weigh it, but I'll have to wait until I buy a more accurate/precise weight scale.

5554671596_3fd4cdf720_z.jpg

5554671792_cc7539470e_z.jpg

5554672294_7fe862b523_z.jpg

5554672488_743ef7b1f5_z.jpg

5554089481_bb191ed199_z.jpg

5554671012_7a211267ed_z.jpg

5554086227_c32ce21eb6_z.jpg

Ordered my 60's Goldtop from Guitar Center on January 30/31. It arrived yesterday, but today (3/23/11) was when I opened the box. Definitely has the smell of lacquer. Wish I could weigh it, but I'll have to wait until I buy a more accurate/precise weight scale.

HNGD! [thumbup]

Did yours come with the knob pointers?

So is their any sound diff between the 50s or the 60s?

I had a pre flood, 2pc 50s HB, stupidly sold it, for no profit!..... now I see these 60s and I found A HB Im going to go get now. I just got done playing a friends 50s Cherry Burst and I Fing love it (not the worst finish but Honey is far sexyer!) But im afraid that the lack of orange drops are going to effect the sound....

So is their any sound diff between the 50s or the 60s?

I had a pre flood, 2pc 50s HB, stupidly sold it, for no profit!..... now I see these 60s and I found A HB Im going to go get now. I just got done playing a friends 50s Cherry Burst and I Fing love it (not the worst finish but Honey is far sexyer!) But im afraid that the lack of orange drops are going to effect the sound....

I have A/B'd my two Gold-Top's, together, through the same amp, same settings, etc.

The '50's (w/orange drop caps) had a very slight edge, in "mid-range." The '60's

had a bit "rounder" tone. Nothing, that some mild EQ on the amp...Or, using an

EQ pedal, wouldn't take care of, if needed(?)...IMHO. LOVE them Both!

CB

Well I found a 60s HB played well, sounded great but was rough, lots of sanding marks on the back of the body neck joint ect. So I took it back.

Found a NOS 50s HB a bit heavy, GREAT SEXY top bits of black grain and one small knot heavy maple grain, 3 pc body sounds great, sounds really aggressive snarls like a beast but you can roll off the vol and it mellows out, plays perfect my new baby.

And I found a 60S GT dosent have the snarl the 50s has more mellow and smooth but is pretty sweet in its own right, still debating about returning it (wifey not so happy lol)

I'm seeing reports online that this run is already over. Several retailers have dropped the Gold Top from their preorders. Sam Ash still has a FEBRUARY date listed as when they expect to get some in... Are these things gone for good? Should I be paying the eBay premium?

I originally went to Guitar Center sure I was going to buy a 60's GT, tried it and it was nice but I fell more in love with the Cherry Sunburst, it reminded me so much of my Cherry Sunburst 83 Standard that was stolen years ago that I still dearly miss, Norlin era or not...Plus half of my guitars are black and the other half are either white or some variant of red, and I have nothing sunburst at all anymore. When I went back 3 days later, the GT had been sold already (no big surprise, as in demand they've been), so had the Ebony and the only one left was that Cherry Sunburst. I got it and love it, it plays great and the satin finish feels nice and comfortable. The only addition besides straplocks might be a noise gate to cancel out some of that slight P90 hum, but otherwise it's been perfect so far...Good luck everyone on here, I hope Gibson comes through and that you receive the guitars you've ordered very soon :)

Oh I should add though, be sure to check your warranty card info, Guitar Center did give me the wrong hang tags and card, with some other dude's serial number on it...

I will never ever buy anything from the guitar center. Very unprofessional!

Archived