Gibson Brands Forums

60's Tribute Les Paul Studio

xxx

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that Gibson is not going to make the proposed number of units on this guitar. Anyone got any inside info?

I've never heard of a proposed number, so I have no idea. What number have you heard? Also, I think the whole "toy guitar" remark is complete bull. I've had my Goldtop since late February cause I jumped on them as soon as they posted on Musicians Friend. Mine is a beast and I've gotten nothing but compliments about her.

I played an ebony 60s Tribute last week, next to an Epi Gold Top with P90s. If the lightweight, super resonant chambered body of the 60s turned you off, you might like the Epi quite a lot. Definitely heavier, and the body wouldn't vibrate if the world depended on it. And a very pretty plastic paint job.

FYI -

I call Gibson yesterday and told them that my Studio 60's Tribute Les Paul did not come with the metal control pointers as their web site shows.

After I gave the Gibson rep my guitar serial numbers they told me that they will be sending me the missing metal control pointers

I just got off the phone with Gibson. I asked if my GT should have come with the knob pointers. He asked for the serial number, my name and address, and said they would send me a set of them.

I've never heard of a proposed number, so I have no idea. What number have you heard? Also, I think the whole "toy guitar" remark is complete bull. I've had my Goldtop since late February cause I jumped on them as soon as they posted on Musicians Friend. Mine is a beast and I've gotten nothing but compliments about her.

4k of each color.

I meant 4k of each color!

I got any email from Gibson two days ago saying that all existing orders will be filled -- I was asking specifically about AMS, be he said ALL dealers will receive the ones they've ordered. That's not necessarily at odds with the notion of them stopping production early, but given how few Gold Tops seem to have hit the market, in order for them to fill just the existing orders, they can't really be on the verge of shutting down the line immediately.

I don't really trust ANYONE when it comes to these things, but if I had to pick between Official Representative of Gibson and Dude in A Guitar Store, I trust the Gibby spokesman slightly more.

Given Meadowz reading comprehension skills in that other thread, it's easy to see how 4K total could get mutated into 4K of each color.

FWIW...I was told by a National retailer that production would run through November and that there would be 800 in each color. With 5 color options looks like that should be 4000 units.

Given Meadowz reading comprehension skills in that other thread, it's easy to see how 4K total could get mutated into 4K of each color.

My reading skills? Grow up! That is what I heard, so be it, but being a smart as& does not make you look very mature!

800 of each color sounds a lot more reasonable than 4,000 of each color. 4,000 total sounds a lot more limited edition than 20,000 total. I've asked Gibson about the production number before and they've always told me that if the production number wasn't stated on the website, they couldn't tell me. Either way, I got mine and I'm happy with her.

Hey Chris,

My "toy" remark was in reference to seeing and playing a "worn sunburst" model. I just thought it looked really cheap and although it played ok, I would be a bit embarrased to be seen on stage with it. However, all the photos of the Gold Tops that I've seen really do look great so I'm assuming that they are the best of all the color choices.

It all worked out for me fate wise because after I cancelled my order I found a Rickenbacker 330/12 Fireglow for an incredible price. Besides a Gold Top, that's my other dream guitar ! Good luck to all you guys !!

Marty

Hey Chris,

My "toy" remark was in reference to seeing and playing a "worn sunburst" model. I just thought it looked really cheap and although it played ok, I would be a bit embarrased to be seen on stage with it. However, all the photos of the Gold Tops that I've seen really do look great so I'm assuming that they are the best of all the color choices.

It all worked out for me fate wise because after I cancelled my order I found a Rickenbacker 330/12 Fireglow for an incredible price. Besides a Gold Top, that's my other dream guitar ! Good luck to all you guys !!

Marty

Marty ... no need to defend yourself... there are others out there (myself) who are not impressed with these guitars... Whatever floats your boat.. if you are happy with the 60's tribute, then I am happy for you too...

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered my Gold Top in late Feb from Musician's Friend.....up until a few days ago, I hadn't gotten any news on the delivery date (other than speculation, etc via the web). I noticed that Musicians Friend has the Gold Top listed again with an expected ship date of June 25, 2011. SO...I emailed MF regarding my order and received a message...."We expect your order to ship Jume 25, 2011". Ok. So I finally have some real info from MF. I'm not angry...just a little annoyed with the entire process. You'd think by ordering one of these guitars, we were ordering a little piece of The Shroud of Turin. Not sure why Musicians Friend allowed me to place the order....then removed the guitar from the site, then added it back on occassion (I noticed this a few times)...and then finally added it back again. I think the thing that boggles the mind is that I ordered a guitar from a massive coorparation that in turn will receive goods from a rather large company. I wonder why/how no concrete numbers were sent from Gibson to MF along with dates? Surely there are people on the payroll at both companies that trouble themselves with simple logistics.... Why the delays in production, etc? Oh well...I'll sit and wait like everyone else. I managed a music store in Athens, GA for awhile....it seemed that the Gibson folks were always somehow doing something similar to this with our supply....we always thought it was to make us "want" or "need" the guitars more...and in turn make our customers chomp at the bit. Sorta like DeBeers and Diamonds...or OPEC and Oil. With guitars and other goods maybe just making a bad *** guitar for people will sell it...just a thought.

The most likely reason that it appeared and disappeared from their site is that they ordered a certain number of them, pre-sold all of them, took them off the site, someone got tired of waiting and canceled their pre-order, so MF relisted it until it too was pre-ordered, then they took it down...rinse, repeat.

Gibson told Wildwood that the GTs would ship in May, FWIW.

Ordered my Gold Top in late Feb from Musician's Friend.....up until a few days ago, I hadn't gotten any news on the delivery date (other than speculation, etc via the web). I noticed that Musicians Friend has the Gold Top listed again with an expected ship date of June 25, 2011. SO...I emailed MF regarding my order and received a message...."We expect your order to ship Jume 25, 2011". Ok. So I finally have some real info from MF. I'm not angry...just a little annoyed with the entire process. You'd think by ordering one of these guitars, we were ordering a little piece of The Shroud of Turin. Not sure why Musicians Friend allowed me to place the order....then removed the guitar from the site, then added it back on occassion (I noticed this a few times)...and then finally added it back again. I think the thing that boggles the mind is that I ordered a guitar from a massive coorparation that in turn will receive goods from a rather large company. I wonder why/how no concrete numbers were sent from Gibson to MF along with dates? Surely there are people on the payroll at both companies that trouble themselves with simple logistics.... Why the delays in production, etc? Oh well...I'll sit and wait like everyone else. I managed a music store in Athens, GA for awhile....it seemed that the Gibson folks were always somehow doing something similar to this with our supply....we always thought it was to make us "want" or "need" the guitars more...and in turn make our customers chomp at the bit. Sorta like DeBeers and Diamonds...or OPEC and Oil. With guitars and other goods maybe just making a bad *** guitar for people will sell it...just a thought.

Archived