Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop SG quality

rick c

I have been a Gibson customer since the late 70's, and recently picked up a custom Shop ,VOS TV yellow, SG. I am just blown away with the guitar.

The VOS finish isn't overdone, and the guitar really fits well in my hands. My other Custom Shop,'57 reissue black beauty comes in a close second to the obvious pride in workmanship taken with this guitar. I even contacted the Custom Shop to express my satisfaction, and they indicated that is pretty much the standard these days for Custom Shop work with the SG's. Thought I would share a few photos...let me know what you think.

thanks,

Rick

IMG_20101218_210029-1.jpg

IMG_20101218_204111.jpg

IMG_20101218_234147.jpg

IMG_20101218_203814.jpg

Same guitar...just a close up.I was told that this was kind of standard with the Custom Shop pick guards.

Rick

Seems odd, that in the 1st photo, it fits, and in the second one, there's a different, additional

cutout, shown? I know a lot of the old original '61 to '66 SG's, and the newer re-issue (Custom Shop)

versions, have that overlapping corner, on the pickguard, that hangs over the bottom body beveling.

That was pretty common, but...I don't remember the pickguards having 2 different cut-outs. It looks

like something was done, afterward, or as an after-thought. But, if that's the way they do them...

it's "interesting," if odd...to me, at least. Nice guitar, though! Congratulations!

CB

In the first photo, you can't see the gap at the pickguard....but it's there.The guitar is bone stock as it came from the factory. You can see the overlap by the front horn and the overlap by the switch. I think the guard is too big, but was told that's the way they are done?

Rick

I see...well, maybe they're trying to capture the "factory inconsistencies," in the older (original) versions???

For what a Custom Shop guitar costs, I would have insisted the pick-guard be a proper fit, VOS or not.

BUT...that's just "Me!" ;>)

Great guitar, though...and, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!

Cheers,

CB

I just received a replacement guard from Gibson, since the other one seemed a little out of whack. Just curious if anyone knows, why the bevel angle seems shallower on this one. I would approximate around 30 degrees. The pickguard has a thin black layer, wide white stripe and three alternating equal black,white, black stripes. Does anyone know what the pickguard bevel angle should be...is this an updated 5 ply material used on the pickguards now?

thanks,

Rick

Kind of funny how this thread praises Gibson's workmanship and Charlie points out an improperly installed pickguard. [lol]

I'm only kidding. Something like that wouldn't bother me any. I have a 2008 and there's no gap near the pickup but the corners of the pickguard overhang quite nicely. [biggrin]

Great guitars. I've had this one since October/November 2008 and I love it more and more as time goes on.

Your bevels do seem a little shallow but it's not the greatest picture to base anything on. Maybe another example of Gibson's fine workmanship? [lol]

Here's mine.

SGVOS131.jpg

I have reworked the replacement guard so that it looks reasonably good, with minimal overhang at the switch. Since the guard came with holes drilled, I tweaked the angle slightly and reshaped the guard so that it looks correct. I think that I will run with this. I really like the guitar, but the big overhang at the horn was starting to bother me, even though it's standard Custom Shop.

Thanks for the input.

Rick

R9 and rickc:

The bevelling on both your guitars is awesome. I love those deep bevels. I don't know why they don't do it on the standards. Such a nice look. They used to, back in the '60's.

Yeah, the wider and deeper beveling is something a lot of us, would like to see a return to, on

standard Gibson USA specs. They're just so much nicer looking, and actually more comfortable, too.

So, we can only hope, they'll return to that, someday. ;>b

CB

• 2 weeks later...

I do not doubt these are sweet guitars, but I am disgusted by the fact the pickguard doesn't seem to fit right. Like someone said above, maybe they are "recreating" the inconsistencies in manufacture from the good 'ol days.....but why not try to "recreate" models representative of the PRIME examples from the past? I've never seen a vintage one in person, so maybe I don't know, but did ALL of the old ones have the mis-fitted pickguards? School me ! :)

I am going to make a new pick guard ,and have already begun the process of filling the holes and matching the color.

Matching the color has been a real trick....but it looks pretty good , and will not be visible once complte.

5 minutes of additional quality control at the factory would have avoided this. From what I can see, all of the Custom Shop pick guards are too large.Pickguards are supposed to shrink with age...not get larger.

Rick

Archived