Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone bought a BRAND NEW Gibson guitar in 2011???

onewilyfool

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps buying guitars NEW, is not my thing. I have only bought a Gibson NEW, once in my life. ...2004.

I have owned 25-30 during my life. Safe to say....I don,t buy new. I am a 'rescuer' or Foster Parent.... [laugh]

Rod...I can dig it.....just wondering who is buying new Gibson's??? I like used and vintage myself.RAR stated tha every guitar Gibson makes is sold....but I don't remember anyone buying a new one in quite a while....

OWF raises a good question. I expect to be buying a new Gibson in the next couple of months and I'd like to hear what people's experiences have been. Gibson's relatively limited dealership network in my neck of the woods makes the process tougher and it's likely that an online dealer will be my source. But, as OWF noted, I haven't seen much about new purchases around here. True, there's some great vintage stuff around but this time around, I'm looking for new.

I must admit, I've NEVER bought a new Gibson myself......only used. But there are some interesting new models that intrigue me.....that new release of the Jackson Brown guitar, an intriguing 12 fretter, that re-issue of the Century of progress, the J-45 Vintage........many interesting new guitars......mainly because I can't afford the vintage ones....lol

OWF, I have nine Gibson acoustics, all bought new. I haven't bought one in 2011, but I got two, a J-45 TV and a Southern Jumbo TV in 2010. Even if you only buy used as a rule, someone had to buy them new first. What's the msytery?

Red 333

No mystery Red, just I haven't been hearing many saying that they bought new guitars for a while....

I see. I guess most of the HNGD posts have been about vintage or used guitars lately. Maybe a lot of people are playing catch-up with their post-holiday bills (though many vintage gits are far more expensive than new!).

Red 333

I bought my AJ new three years ago. It would have to a very special guitar for me to buy again though. The savings are just too great when you buy used, and you can always find what your looking for if you are patient.

Nope, but tried this one last week. AAA sitka top, back and sides in quiltet maple. It sounded down right terrific - and I'm not a maple-man. Unfortunately it's overwhelmingly pale (more than seen) which turns me off. Same does the price.

.GibsonFirebirdCustom.jpgGibson Firebird Custom - anyone knows it. .

By the way it has some rather confused doodles on the guard - guess it's flames

I must admit, I've NEVER bought a new Gibson myself......only used. But there are some interesting new models that intrigue me.....that new release of the Jackson Brown guitar, an intriguing 12 fretter, that re-issue of the Century of progress, the J-45 Vintage........many interesting new guitars......mainly because I can't afford the vintage ones....lol

OWF, of the guitars you mention. I would like to try the LC Century of Progress. Just looks like a really sweet guitar and a real 'eye-popper' [love]

Simply not in my budget at this time though... [-(

I went to Best Buy of all places to spend some Christmas money and walked out with a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe

go figure

they had a NOS 2008 , new in box, never taken out of the shipping carton, I mean never even opened up and taken out of the case....... when the salesman opened the Gibson box, I heard the staples rip!

It still had the pickguard protector and was tuned down.......NEVER TOUCHED after it left the factory

YIPPEE!

I went to Best Buy of all places to spend some Christmas money and walked out with a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe ...

Congrats.

Actually Best Buy is a good place to check if you local has a music store inside. Mine does. I bought my SJ-200 there about and half a year ago. NOS marked down a $1000. Apparently not a lot of high end shoppers checkin things out there.

Nope, but tried this one last week. AAA sitka top, back and sides in quiltet maple. It sounded down right terrific - and I'm not a maple-man. Unfortunately it's overwhelmingly pale (more than seen) which turns me off. Same does the price.

.GibsonFirebirdCustom.jpgGibson Firebird Custom - anyone knows it. .

By the way it has some rather confused doodles on the guard - guess it's flames

Tis guitar is one of my dreams...

With FLAMES on the guard!

And it si NOT pale for me...

I imagine what could I play on this one , whe songs I could make....

This is a real BEAUTY...

Couldn't resist the possibility to re-try the 2 H-birds in the shop. A TV and a straight. Again the latter was richer sounding (fairly new strings put on at the same time). Comin' from behind the Firebird topped them both. So good GIBS, , , why don't you give it a try. It's 4675,9 USD here - you could probably sneak under that, , , and it might be worth it.

And now I see 3 new birds have landed on the Gibson site. The 50th Anniversary 1960 Hummingbird. Still wish I could be a teaboy in Montana for a week or 2.

I acquired a new (September 2006 manufacture date) CJ-165 for Christmas, but didn't have time to play it until after New Years. Does that count?

I found it at Woodwind & Brasswind (wwbw.com), I live in South Bend Indiana where they have their retail store. If you have never talked to them, you might want to give them a try. The folks in the retail store are exceptional, and they have a talented luthier on staff. I can only assume that their mail order folks are knowledgable too. I know that they are now owned by Musicians Friend, but at least locally they are a cut above.

I am also new to the forum, I just registered tonight. So hello to you all.

Archived