Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone bought a BRAND NEW Gibson guitar in 2011???

onewilyfool

I acquired a new (September 2006 manufacture date) CJ-165 for Christmas, but didn't have time to play it until after New Years. Does that count?

I found it at Woodwind & Brasswind (wwbw.com), I live in South Bend Indiana where they have their retail store. If you have never talked to them, you might want to give them a try. The folks in the retail store are exceptional, and they have a talented luthier on staff. I can only assume that their mail order folks are knowledgable too. I know that they are now owned by Musicians Friend, but at least locally they are a cut above.

I am also new to the forum, I just registered tonight. So hello to you all.

Gashroff, welcome to the forum, congradulations with the new purchase, I've also dealt with W&B, sometimes they have very good deals....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MR GIBS. . . Have you seen the Firebird Custom on the bay right now. Looks as if it's in good shape, , , and as expected overwhelmingly pale.

The ad tells the flames if not the whole guitar has something to do with a forest fire that at some point came perilously close the Montana plant.

To me an unknown perspective there.

On Friday I received my brand new 2010 Southern Jumbo, from of all places, MusiciansFriend. The closest Gibson dealer to me is about 3 hours away and they don't stock much of anything. Surprisingly enough, I got what I think is a great deal (WAY under the new MAP of $2599...In fact, well under the old MAP of $2199). Since the instrument was part of their Private Reserve guitars, I was sent pictures (close ups, back, front, angles, etc) of several that they had in stock and had my associate pull them out and give me an idea of which one, in his opinion, was the better of them. I talked with him on the phone probably a half dozen times, exchanged emails more than a dozen times and finally pulled the trigger last week. When it arrived, I was almost brought to tears (literally)...it was just that beautiful (actually, it looks like every other SJ, but this one is mine!). And the sound! Man, this one has "it"! I could not be happier with my purchase. This was my first Gibson acoustic and I've been playing high-end Taylors for the past 10 or 12 years and always thought that I was just a "Taylor guy". Boy was I wrong... I am not exaggerating when I say that everything about the SJ fits me like a glove. I will never go back...

Anyway, as soon as I can get some pics I'll post them. Right now, I'm too busy playing.

On Friday I received my brand new 2010 Southern Jumbo, from of all places, MusiciansFriend. The closest Gibson dealer to me is about 3 hours away and they don't stock much of anything. Surprisingly enough, I got what I think is a great deal (WAY under the new MAP of $2599...In fact, well under the old MAP of $2199). Since the instrument was part of their Private Reserve guitars, I was sent pictures (close ups, back, front, angles, etc) of several that they had in stock and had my associate pull them out and give me an idea of which one, in his opinion, was the better of them. I talked with him on the phone probably a half dozen times, exchanged emails more than a dozen times and finally pulled the trigger last week. When it arrived, I was almost brought to tears (literally)...it was just that beautiful (actually, it looks like every other SJ, but this one is mine!). And the sound! Man, this one has "it"! I could not be happier with my purchase. This was my first Gibson acoustic and I've been playing high-end Taylors for the past 10 or 12 years and always thought that I was just a "Taylor guy". Boy was I wrong... I am not exaggerating when I say that everything about the SJ fits me like a glove. I will never go back...

Anyway, as soon as I can get some pics I'll post them. Right now, I'm too busy playing.

Adam....seems like you did everything right. The perfect way to buy on line.....and sounds like you got a good one.....congradulations.....

My collection is about 50/50 original owner v. used. I did just pick up a 2010 Custom Koa Hummingbird, but it had one previous owner that quickly traded it in for a D-45. That must have been some D-45 because this Hummingbird is breathtaking to look at and sounds utterly magnificent. Not even one year old and she is wide open and perfectly balanced. Mmmm.

I have my eye on a brand new custom shop Country Western (not Sheryl Crow) at a local shop. I see it coming home with me in the very near future. There is nothing especially fancy about it, but it is light as a feather and has astonishingly good tone. I've noticed that Gibson is making some very nice guitars right now.

Yep, just ordered a L-5 CES 2 weeks ago and it will be awhile before I actually become a Gibson fan/alumni. Tried to find a really nice one used for a few months unsuccesfully. At issue was should you find a great guitar in Phoenix, Scotland or wherever you have to deal with the shipping and pretty much buying it "as is". There were a few on Ebay that looked great but compared to buying new the price was only off by a grand . Good sign for resale value should you need to sell it. Also, I played several used L-5's locally which hooked me to the the guitar in the first place. You need to come to grips with the saga of the long road the guitar travelled "this guitar was from Aroniza and had a small structure crack that was expertly fixed and oversprayed" All the history and $5K got the instrument. Actually, I have purchased several guitars used, one specifically was a Martin HD35 the guy just didn't like it, the house he lived in was an upscale residential suburb, brought it out of a closet and opened a pristine Martin, life was good. But for the L-5 I believe that they are far more scarce and the ones out there have great homes. So, I bought new and the guitar shop locally here is a 5 star dealer and is one of the oldest in the US, plus, they have an expert luthier that can help set it up. Now the wait...

Just picked up a J45 Custom (rosewood) in Oct. 2010. Bone pins, saddle and nut. It is a "Wow". Fit finish, neck, action. Luthier had very little tuning to do. I am pleased!

Just took a listen to your reverbnation site., love the sound of the SJ-300. Never heard a Jumbo in rosewood, but this one sounds like a beauty. Wiked bass, but still very clear, not muddy. Well done !

• 3 weeks later...

Just took a listen to your reverbnation site., love the sound of the SJ-300. Never heard a Jumbo in rosewood, but this one sounds like a beauty. Wiked bass, but still very clear, not muddy. Well done !

Euro Aussie, Thanks. She is a beauty. I am blessed to be able to have the instruments I have. Thanks for checking out my music.

• 2 months later...

The Gibson L-5 arrived on 3/11/11. I picked it up at 8:05 pm from the great House of Guitars in Rochester, NY. The owner of the store, Bruce, waited for me to arrive and brought a stool out in the middle of the store and delivered the large Gibson box to be opened by me. He had his son in the periphery to observe and help where he could. The L-5 arrived perfect. It was even very close to being in tune. He offered to have their luthier look it over but there was nothing to look at. My guitar teacher, Steve Greene has an L-5 and I had him check it out, flawless. I ahve a photo of me and Steve with a pair of L-5's, his 1968 and mine 2011.

You will see from my earlier post, the HOG was quoted initially 6-8 months for delivery....it came in 10 weeks. Bruce pointed to a sign on the wall of a letter from Henry E. Juszkiewicz that states "I purchased my first Gibson from the House of Guitars and liked it so much I bought the company". Regardless for the relationships, as a 35 year Gibson dealer and for a guitar of this caliber obtaining it in an expedited basis was just plain cool. My dealer gets 5/5 stars. I bought my first guitar from the HOG in 1972 and 39 years later...

The guitar is amazing it has taken me 'til now to even write about it. I am using it on weekly perfomances and I am just starting to begin to understand its potential, like having a 500 hp 'vette and just getting it out of 3rd gear. Someday I hope to do it justice, it awaits me now. [thumbup]

Yep...brand new Hummingbird a couple of weeks ago.. Apart from a tiny blob of glue on the fretboard (this has since been removed with help from Customer service)the build quality is excellent.

Sounds like an excuse for a picture or two... [biggrin]

Lucy1.JPG

Lucy2.JPG

I ordered a lefty hummingbird t.v custom this year . the top is built and signed by REn himself. but it went back to factory because they got the wrong finish on it (It had honeyburst and i ordered heritage cherryburst) and it had the standard pickguard but they are gonna make me a custom lefty Red hand cut pickguard (just for me) because the red guards only are available for righty's because of the mold .

I missed out by a month, I bought a 2008 Standard made in 2010. Its an awesome guitar having played many solid bodies before anyone who says the chambering takes away from the sound IMO has lost it. Its only down fall for me is the Nutirjack lock.

Well, Riverside.....you might want to get your lube ready.....It's really frowned on to bring these kind of things up in here by some 'brand loyal' folks......it's best to infer that this kind of fit and finish problem is "historically accurate", if you apologize in advance for bringing it up, admit that you may be too picky, and profess that you have NEVER seen this problem before in spite of the fact that you have personally played 50 of these same guitars and have never seen this problem....etc., etc. , you MAY be spared!....Good luck by the way....hope you get a good guitar in the end....rather than just getting it in the end....

I did.

It had to go back to factory because the fretboard wasn't glued on right.

I suppose that makes me a basher.

Just sayin'

QViuH.jpg

Nice guitar!! Congradulations!! I see you didn't get that historically correct bubbling and blistering finish between the fretboard and the sound hole....interesting....they must have finally bought that tool......Anyway, your guitar looks fantastic...I really like that type of burst on these jumbos....put up some sound bites soon!!!

I bought a SJ 200 Custom Elite new this year:

HSSJ1.jpg

Archived