Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 339 or Gibson CS 356

singlecoil

Hey guys

I have located a new/ but used 2010 Black 339 ( Limited Edition ) on just the color I think. Guy wants 1900.00. Now I know I can purchase a new one from MF for that price. Just not that color.

I also found a Beautiful 2003 Faded Cherry CS 356 for 2500.00

Also a Light Burst 339 that a professional bought direct from Gibson. 2007 that's never been used. For 1600.00 shipped. It looks better than most I've seen in this color..Looks richer..

In any of the Gibson guitars. I'd most likely upgrade with Tone pro's. Not a fan of Gold hardware- so I'd probably replace even down to the pickup covers on the 356.

I might mention for those who are familar. I have a Lentz Croyden on order - should be done in April. Very light weight 6.5 lbs..

Now back to the 3 Gibsons. Any opinions on which is the better find. I want it for 50's 60's Rock..Johnny B goode -20 flight Rock ETC.

Which would you get.

Hey guys

I have located a new/ but used 2010 Black 339 ( Limited Edition ) on just the color I think. Guy wants 1900.00. Now I know I can purchase a new one from MF for that price. Just not that color.

I also found a Beautiful 2003 Faded Cherry CS 356 for 2500.00

Also a Light Burst 339 that a professional bought direct from Gibson. 2007 that's never been used. For 1600.00 shipped. It looks better than most I've seen in this color..Looks richer..

In any of the Gibson guitars. I'd most likely upgrade with Tone pro's. Not a fan of Gold hardware- so I'd probably replace even down to the pickup covers on the 356.

I might mention for those who are familar. I have a Lentz Croyden on order - should be done in April. Very light weight 6.5 lbs..

Now back to the 3 Gibsons. Any opinions on which is the better find. I want it for 50's 60's Rock..Johnny B goode -20 flight Rock ETC.

Which would you get.

Guess I should re-ask: Is there really that much woody tone difference in these to guitars. The 356 is lighter- So is it more hollowed out. You really can't tell what the differences are other than cosmetic. Maybe things like bone nuts- But same pups..Same wood. Just not as fancy: Thanks all

Guess I should re-ask: Is there really that much woody tone difference in these to guitars. The 356 is lighter- So is it more hollowed out. You really can't tell what the differences are other than cosmetic. Maybe things like bone nuts- But same pups..Same wood. Just not as fancy: Thanks all

my vote is for the $1600 339. i've got a 339 and love it -- bought it new for 1800. I like the idea of a great guitar at a great price, so the 1600 really stands out to me. But the 356 -- well I suppose it's a nicer guitar in terms of construction and weight, so if money is not the major factor then go for that.

Even though they look very, very similar, the 356 is a completely different guitar than a 339. A 339 is a smaller sized 335, with maple laminate top, back and sides with a center block. The 356 has a one piece mahogany body routed into a semi-hollow configuration, with a solid maple top. More of a cross between a 335 and a Les Paul in terms of wood, construction and tone. Both great guitars! Just understand their are much bigger differences than cosmetics.

As GotTheSilver mentioned, the 339 and 356 are very different in construction and also tone.. It is way more than just cosmetics. In terms of the amount of money "saved" the 356 is probably the best deal. I have owned 339's but don't right at this moment but never owned a 336 or 356. You should also figure in that with a used guitar you will not have the warranty. Is the money saved on a used one worth the difference to not have a warranty to you? Neck profile is also going to be a big consideration unless all 3 of those are the same. Just based on color alone, my preference would be the light burst. Sit down and make a list of pros and cons of each to help narrow it down. Make note of the new list price, MSPR and used prices too. Good luck. All 3 of them should be an excellent choice.

I agree that any choice would be a good one but you're spending a lot more to change out the gold hardware. You may want to look around a little longer. I bought a used, but showroom quality, 2009 339 vintage burst at (of all places) GC for $1425.00. It was high on the wall behind the counter. I couldn't be happier. It is the most versatile guitar I've played. The black may be hard to find but I bet you can do better on price. If you can, go out and try them.

I've located a Vintage burst 2008 as new for 1400.00 delivered. A warranty with a guitar isn't a big issue with me. They can be a pain to try and use. Other than cracked wood. Most guitar problems are easier fix by myself or locally. My primary concerns buying used are having it arrive safe and not getting one of the lemons that I here complaints about. Although saving 600.00 could fix a ton of little things. I also know that paying 1000 more to have it pretty doesn't mean it plays better. Not sure if it's true: Chris at guitar sale told me they have really worked with the Memphis CS. The 2010 339's arriving are pleked for sure and the QC is spot on. Like I said. That might be a sales pitch. A new one is 2,000.00 less a buck..

Congratulations! You're gonna love it. Which neck did you get?

I got the 30/60 I have fairly long fingers and large palms but no fat fingers so this neck should be ok. If not I should be able to turn it around and buy a larger neck without more than just some hassle.

Congratulations on the guitar. You are going to love that guitar and the neck on it. I am playing mine every day. I have to force myself to play some of my other guitars now. Anxious to hear your report in a week or so on how much you like or dislike it.

Archived