Gibson Brands Forums

Lighter wood showing. Is that normal?

MeLP

Hi there!

I'm new here and I just got my 1st Les Paul. I loved the colour and how it feels and sounds, so I bought it. :) It's a Les Paul Traditional.

But, don't know why, at home I noticed a lighter bit of woold showing up at the top side of my guitar and I would like to know if that is normal or might be a fault.

Maybe a stupid question, but I want to be sure I paid all that money for a faultless guitar.

To make it clear what I mean (don't know how to describe it really, sorry), I add a picture.

Thanks.

post-30271-002159500 1296416894_thumb.jpg

Do not worry.

It´s absolutely normal. The carved maple top is wider than the binding so, in this place, you can see a little bit of the maple top between the mahogany back and that top.

In the 80´s and 90´s les pauls Gibson decided to make the binding a little bid wider in this place to hide this little piece of maple but now they do not do it (like in the old 50s les pauls, where you can see this little stripe of maple too..)

Be happy with your guitar. I remember when I bought my les paul and I was several days playing it day and night..

Why don´t you show us some pictures of your new baby? I´d like to see them..

Congratulations and enjoy!

wow!! [drool]

It´s really gorgeous man!! Congratulations again.

The maple top is awesome! Is the colour "lightburst" or "ice tea"?

I guess you just know it but traditionals are good guitars. They are not chambered(they have no chambered, no hollow mahogany body, like the les pauls standard before 2008). Some guitar players don´t like the new standard for this reason, so it´s a controversial matter.. You can read a lot of information about that in this forum.

This is my 1989 baby. It still keeps fit! ;)

PC310033.jpg

Thank you (again) :)

The colour is "honeyburst".

Yes, I read about the differences between the old and new Standards and the Traditional. And I saw your nice Standard in a thread as well [thumbup]

I reallly like the neck on mine!

Well I'll be...

I've my my Traditional Plus for a year now and never noticed that.

Which really shocks me, because I pick up on things like that too.

Must be slipping at my age. :blink:

It is just a tad bit lighter in that area where the maple cap meets

the mahagony body. But, it's very close. I'd say it's because of how

the two types of wood hold the stain differently.

Just adds more character.

Archived