Gibson Brands Forums

removing pickguard on J45

passthej45

There is something very direct to a guardless guitar and I consider it once in a while. You'll find several good threads on the topic. It isn't a difficult thing, but should be done before the burst starts to fade. Then again I dig the seldom palette of the given colours. Black into brown into toffee and redwine lined by slightly creamed bindings and chrome.

Ooouuhh, , , by the way - promise retrorod never to touch the bracing. . .

I feel this is akin to blasphemy. And the guitar gods will strike down with a vengeance.

It's not something I could ever do to one of my guitars unless it was going to save it's life...

Kind of like - I wouldnt amputate my kids leg unless it was absolutely necessary. ...

That being said - each to his own, and I recognize the importance of having a guitar that represents the player, and makes him/her feel good.

Although I think you might have hit one of my touchy nerves that I never knew I had...

As a lefty who plays upside-down and left-handed, I've removed the pickguards from several guitars, including my J-45. Of course I always then put on a left-handed pickguard.

I certainly wouldn't consider removing a pickguard the dumbest thing you could do a guitar. There are plenty of guitars that look fine without them. But as someone who has done this a lot, I'll remind you that when you remove the pickguard, chances are you'll have a "suntan" underneath. It will probably never go away completely.

I bought my '98 J-45 in '99. It had never been out of the store and as far as I could tell, had never been exposed to sunlight. The guitar was new enough and the conditions good enough that when I took off the pickguard, there wasn't much of a suntan. But there was is a barely perceptible line outlining where the pickguard had been. The guitar turns 13 next month and it is still there. Granted, you can only see it if your nose is right up to the guitar, and if you're looking for the line and if the light conditions are just right. But it is there.

Removing pickguards is not difficult (Frank Ford discusses removing pickguards) and if you take your time, it'll come off just fine. But don't forget about the suntan issue.

As a lefty who plays upside-down and left-handed, I've removed the pickguards from several guitars, including my J-45. Of course I always then put on a left-handed pickguard.

I certainly wouldn't consider removing a pickguard the dumbest thing you could do a guitar. There are plenty of guitars that look fine without them. But as someone who has done this a lot, I'll remind you that when you remove the pickguard, chances are you'll have a "suntan" underneath. It will probably never go away completely.

I bought my '98 J-45 in '99. It had never been out of the store and as far as I could tell, had never been exposed to sunlight. The guitar was new enough and the conditions good enough that when I took off the pickguard, there wasn't much of a suntan. But there was is a barely perceptible line outlining where the pickguard had been. The guitar turns 13 next month and it is still there. Granted, you can only see it if your nose is right up to the guitar, and if you're looking for the line and if the light conditions are just right. But it is there.

Removing pickguards is not difficult (Frank Ford discusses removing pickguards) and if you take your time, it'll come off just fine. But don't forget about the suntan issue.

think you talked me out of it .

All you folks must have fairly modern guitars. The only PGs have removed pickguards, there was no "suntan" or any lacquer at all! It's bare wood underneath. They used to either wet the PG with solvent, or apply glue, and stick it directly on the wood, then apply the finish right over the PG along with the rest of the top. Removing one of these amounts to minimizing how much wood comes off with the PG, a very delicate process requiring the right tools and a lot of patience.

Brian

All you folks must have fairly modern guitars. The only PGs have removed pickguards, there was no "suntan" or any lacquer at all! It's bare wood underneath. They used to either wet the PG with solvent, or apply glue, and stick it directly on the wood, then apply the finish right over the PG along with the rest of the top. Removing one of these amounts to minimizing how much wood comes off with the PG, a very delicate process requiring the right tools and a lot of patience.

Brian

[scared][blink]

Archived