Gibson Brands Forums

John Barry

Versatile

For me John Barry, alongside Henry Mancini composed some of the most evocative film music etc of the 20th century and beyond

That rare combination of classical training and ability to swing and rock

Two everlasting guitar riffs

James Bond

Peter Gunn

V

:-({|=

For me John Barry, alongside Henry Mancini composed some of the most evocative film music etc of the 20th century and beyond

That rare combination of classical training and ability to swing and rock

Two everlasting guitar riffs

James Bond

Peter Gunn

V

Hasn't it been a legal twist about who really wrote the James Bond Theme guitar signature?

Yes.

The disputes have been both messy and costly...

Wiki is your Friend! LOL!

"Courts have ruled twice that the theme was written by Monty Norman despite claims and testimony by Barry that he had actually written the theme.

Norman has consequently won two libel actions against publishers for claiming that Barry wrote the theme, most recently against The Sunday Times in 2001."

P.

Yes there was/is a dispute, which makes life interesting....

This sort of thing can be the bain of a composer's life

Today I am celebrating the huge contribution that John Barry made to the film music genre.....

V

Ooops. Sorry for the mini-hi-jack, Versatile!

I completely agree that JB and HM wrote some stirring music.

JB's stuff in particular complemented the films to such an extent that it would seem unimaginable to view them without their correct soundtrack.

P.

Thanks for honouring him here V - really cheers msp_thumbup.gif John Barry was one our countries greatest film composers - and right up there shoulder to shoulder with John Williams too in my opinion. His music was some of the most luscious music; with all the attention to detail, you could tell it was a John Barry score!!! It is always just so romantic eusa_boohoo.gif

Regardless of who wrote the Bond signature theme, it is his music used in much of the Bond franchise, that is just awesome and I think will live on! Not to mention gems like the much under rated movie Chaplin, with Robert Downey Jnr!! That is a gorgeous sound track!!!

This has really knocked me for six! I think I am going to watch Thunderball, my favourite Bond film, tonight in memory. It may not be my favourite Bond film but the theme to On her Majesty's Secret service is the ultimate chase music for me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5OCxwZI7YA

very very sad news and a real downer to the day msp_thumbdn.gif RIP Johnxxx

Archived