Gibson Brands Forums

A sobering Monday morning meeting

davidl

We were all gathered into the boardroom this morning and informed that we had just lost major funding and this would have an adverse effect on our endeavours and the staff involved.

We are about to lose about 25 percent of our staff of 45 great people. A tap on the shoulder will happen tomorrow and Wednesday.

My wife and I work for the same organization and we are concerned.

I feel most for the younger folk with young families and mortgages or rent that needs to be paid.

I too have a mortgage but am still very employable in the IT sector. My wife can probably get a severance package if it comes to that.

My point is that people shouldn't get too comfortable or complacent. Stuff happens. You just have to deal with it as it happens.

Life goes on...and never sell your guitars.

Dave

We were all gathered into the boardroom this morning and informed that we had just lost major funding and this would have an adverse effect on our endeavours and the staff involved.

We are about to lose about 25 percent of our staff of 45 great people. A tap on the shoulder will happen tomorrow and Wednesday.

I feel most for the younger folk with young families and mortgages or rent that needs to be paid.

I too have a mortgage but am still very employable in the IT sector. My wife can probably get a severance package if it comes to that.

My point is that people shouldn't get too comfortable or complacent. Stuff happens. You just have to deal with it as it happens.

Dave

Very best wishes David.

Been there, done that.

The mortgage went away, honorably but not necessarily comfortably. Folks who "helped" are, I think, vacationing in Mexico while it's below zero here.

This economy is "interesting," and that's a logical extension the old Chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times."

A state senator noted Saturday here that cotton is doubling in cost and one can expect food prices to continue significant increases regardless that farmers and ranchers will see little advantage due to rising taxes.

Hmmmmm. I think I sound more cynical than usual today.

Once one has guitars, sitting and playing them isn't all that expensive for an evening's entertainment. One might note, however, that venues that pay entertainers ain't what they used to be.

m

You almost nailed it Rocky. We are partially govenment funded. The flavour of the current government is not friendly to organizations such as ours.

I can't go into details for various reasons right now.

Thanks for all the kind words folks and don't worry about me. I have a way of falling into $hit and coming out smelling of roses. I'm really more concerned about the folks I work with and have become close to. Real people.

Dave

Sorry to hear it David.. Good luck to you and your Wife.

I will say that at least they gave you the professional courtesy of the truth

A month before my (and some 30 or 40 others) layoff, the little company I worked at for 10 years, which had been bought for the 2nd time in 3 years, had a town hall meeting (mandatory). The theme of the meeting was Kevin Bacon's speech from Animal House "Remain Calm, All is well"!!

Sorry to hear it David.. Good luck to you and your Wife.

I will say that at least they gave you the professional courtesy of the truth

A month before my (and some 30 or 40 others) layoff, the little company I worked at for 10 years, which had been bought for the 2nd time in 3 years, had a town hall meeting (mandatory). The theme of the meeting was Kevin Bacon's speech from Animal House "Remain Calm, All is well"!!

We did have the courtesy of truth. The known scenario was a possibility but not a probability.

Time to grab the bull by the horns.

No defeatist attitude here.

Dave

Dave

Dave sorry to hear that. It is happening in small and large companies like mine as well. We have been going through "Right Sizing" in different forms for the last 4 years... Luckily they tend to webcast a bunch of information about what is going on so will probably be the guy who shuts the lights off in the end... Good advice you gave and remember everything does happen for a reason...

Andy

These are our worst fears, aren't they? We are all living in fear right now of this type of stuff. If I lost my job I'd be whooped.... would lose my house, my truck, my horse, everything. And I have no backup plan nor spouse to fall back on. I work for a huge unstable company too under a government who does not value what we do.

Dave, only the cruelest of the cruelest companies would lay off both you and your wife. Is that even legal? Not sure, but hang on because right now it's just speculation. I've been on the planet long enough to realize that things usually turn out, sometimes even for the better. So for tonight, just breathe and make plans as usual for tomorrow.

Like Milod I have been there and done that, and pretty much have thrown in the towel...my house and cars are paid for, all I need is food, water and medical insurance, and to pay my property tax...just a few years ago I could have found a job with no problem, now forget it....

It is a hard fact, but those bosses who tell you how important you are to the company every Christmas will not look you in the eye the next time you meet them in the market...

I wish you luck..

Temps tonight in the geographical center of the U.S. will be around -25 which is nearly -32 C. Wind chills will near -50 F which is about -45 C. It's chilly by any standard.

Interesting metaphor for the cynical, eh?

m

Losing a job is a spooky prospect to me. years ago I decided to not own anyone anything just incase. Now I just have a few more years on the house and all is paid for. Still... I wouldn't want to be looking for a job these days.

You almost nailed it Rocky. We are partially govenment funded. The flavour of the current government is not friendly to organizations such as ours.

I can't go into details for various reasons right now.

Thanks for all the kind words folks and don't worry about me. I have a way of falling into $hit and coming out smelling of roses. I'm really more concerned about the folks I work with and have become close to. Real people.

Dave

I'm sure you will be fine, your attitude commands it!

Best of luck Dave.

Dave, good luck... hopefully the company will axe both of you, (always a fear when your spouse works for the same company).

maybe only one of you, but hopefully neither of you.

I'm off to Atlanta in the morning. I hope the blizzard stays "north" of there, (Atlanta does not process snow well).

Bob

Archived