Gibson Brands Forums

A sobering Monday morning meeting

davidl

Jax...

Hey, in theory this is the Dakotas' "banana belt."

<grin>

Ah, well...

It's warmed up to around -12 here. Gotta get off to the office.

m

That's the same thing the real estate salesman told us about Boise while showing us homes here in 97'. The winter of 1996 in Yakima we had 87" of snow in our yard when spring finally sprung....

Well, the axe fell today.

Unfortunately, my wife was laid off after 24 years of service.

My job is secure. The big boss tells me that I would be one of the very last to go if it ever came to that. I'm the IT manager and I guess I'm needed.

My wife, Joanna is receiving a generous severance package. Beyond what is required in our various agreements.

My heart really goes out to the other folks who are in a less desirable situation than ourselves.

By the way, the responses by you forumites to my post have been heartwarming.

This really is a little community.

[thumbup][thumbup]

Dave

My job is secure. The big boss tells me that I would be one of the very last to go if it ever came to that. I'm the IT manager and I guess I'm needed.

My wife, Joanna is receiving a generous severance package. Beyond what is required in our various agreements.

My heart really goes out to the other folks who are in a less desirable situation than ourselves.

[thumbup][thumbup]

Dave

It may not feel *awesome* but compared to what it could have been, I'd say it's awesome news. It could have been much worse. So glad to hear your position is intact and your wife will at least get a good severance pay. I hope your wife is doing okay with the news, and remind her not to personalize it. It's a funding issue, not a personal issue.

Sorry to hear your wife loose her job. At least you got to keep yours and that's what counts at the moment, but I would consider looking for another job that pays just as well or better then the one you have just in case things change and you do loose your job.

[thumbup][thumbup]

Dave

Congratulations on a good outcome for you both but it's sad for the rest of the guys. We're retired after going through a lot of the same but now don't regret dropping out of the race. We see a lot of heartache here in the current climate though (Greece). It seems it's bad everywhere.

Good luck for the future.

Chris

Temps tonight in the geographical center of the U.S. will be around -25 which is nearly -32 C. Wind chills will near -50 F which is about -45 C. It's chilly by any standard.

Interesting metaphor for the cynical, eh?

m

OUCH!

They're predicting a cold snap for the desert here - below freezing for Wednesday/Thursday morning.

(Thirties are common, forties overnight more the usual)

Milo, bundle up.

I likes to call this "Snugglin' Weather" [thumbup]

And don't forget about the closed door, open window policy, who knows what new possibilities await for your wife and her career.

Right you are Artillery Owl.

We've had a couple of days for things to sink in and have been going over the numbers. We are much more fortunate than some. My wife's 24 years of dedicated service have served her well. The company sweetened the pot significantly with her severance.

We've had a pretty good attitude all along.

Why dwell on the negative? New adventures and opportunities are on their way.

I think I've convinced my wife to just take it easy and enjoy her time off until at least September. Then if she wants to work part time to augment her pension she can.

She's only 52 years old, very healthy and has a personality that is infectious. I'm sure she can get a job pretty much whenever she wants. The salary won't be the same but thats ok.

This sure puts a damper on new guitar purchases though. It isn't going to stop entirely. I'll just have to be more patient. I don't need any more guitars. But as you all know, need has nothing to do with it.

Dave

David,

Sorry to hear about your wife. Sounds like she got a good cushion to fall on, if that is any consolation. Also, you cats up North don't have to worry about health insurance if you lose your job. If I lost my job my wife and I would be hosed; and my wife works for a health care provider!

Archived