Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal secrets

Silenced Fred

Just curious, anyone have any pedal secrets? Pedals that when used not for their intended purpose, actually do a pretty good job?

I was playing with my MXR Distortion+ and when I cranked the output and put the distortion at around 1 o'clock, I started getting some almost deep saturated fuzz tones, so I'm keeping that as a back up in case one of my fuzz pedals goes on the fritz. Or when I leave my pedalboard at my practice space like an idiot [cursing]

Any gear secrets you got?

Just curious, anyone have any pedal secrets? Pedals that when used not for their intended purpose, actually do a pretty good job?

I was playing with my MXR Distortion+ and when I cranked the output and put the distortion at around 1 o'clock, I started getting some almost deep saturated fuzz tones, so I'm keeping that as a back up in case one of my fuzz pedals goes on the fritz. Or when I leave my pedalboard at my practice space like an idiot [cursing]

Any gear secrets you got?

The Bad Monkey Overdrive is a super overdrive for the price. Not really a secret but whatever.

A graphic EQ pedal is good for adding a little gain and adding some punch to a solo to cut through... You can also use them to prop doors open when your loading in and out....msp_laugh.gif

+1. I've got a Boss GE-7 that's quickly becoming one of my "go to" pedals. They're perfect for a solo boost.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found, that with my compressor pedal,

and EQ pedal, set properly, together, I can get really decent "tube" like tones,

from an otherwise kind of sterile souding Solid State amp. In my case,

it's been used with my old (Japanese)Fender Sidekick 35 Reverb...which

is actually Not a bad amp, all things considered.

CB

Maybe it's just me, but I've found, that with my compressor pedal,

and EQ pedal, set properly, together, I can get really decent "tube" like tones,

from an otherwise kind of sterile souding Solid State amp. In my case,

it's been used with my old (Japanese)Fender Sidekick 35 Reverb...which

is actually Not a bad amp, all things considered.

CB

With my cheapo MXR Classic Overdrive, I found I can get a type of almost tube amp sound with the gain at about 9 o'clock and just playing with the output knob til I get it right on my Line 6 Spider.

Thanks for all the cool info guys, never thought of trying to get the russian women's shot put team naked though...

I was playing with my MXR Distortion+ and when I cranked the output and put the distortion at around 1 o'clock,

I had an old Distortion+ years ago, and I can tell you it definitely had a sweet spot. Though I seem to

remember mine was closer to 4 o'clock. If I dimed the gain it was not as sweet as if I backed off a bit.

I had an old Distortion+ years ago, and I can tell you it definitely had a sweet spot. Though I seem to

remember mine was closer to 4 o'clock. If I dimed the gain it was not as sweet as if I backed off a bit.

Oh for distortion, mine is about 3 o'clock. But if I go about 1, I can almost get a fuzz. I gotta start writing all of this down somewhere...

Don't know if its a secret but sometimes during the last song of our shows I will crank the regen on my MXR Carbon Copy and on the last big chord I hit it on and its on constant repeat, kinda gives this weird "the machine is broken" vibe. After several seconds I roll the volume pedal off. I saw Slash do something similar and I nicked it from him.

Now that I'm done laughing (those Chuck Norris jokes get me every time).

When it's time to cover a Keyboard Part (particularly an 80's Synth) I'll set my Flanger for a pretty long wave like Van Halen "Cradle Will Rock", then I'll set my Chorus Pedal Wave to be 3 to 1. That is 3 Chorus Waves to 1 Flanger Wave, then crank 'em to where they saturate your signal. Then add Overdive or reverb as desired.

Archived