Gibson Brands Forums

How to get creamy tones

krock

I think he means early Clapton, Slash-type tones. Smooth, midrangey(if that's a word, LOL) woody type tones. Think "Outside Woman Blues" by Cream or " Blue Sky" by The Allman Bros.

yer you get what i mean. clean creamy would be things like santana and clapton and overdriven creamy would be things like slash's solo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXp413NynFk

I think this song has one of the nices tones ever, but thats just my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCguMx8OO7U&NR=1

Check this song aswell

Carlos has good tone. I get what you mean. I'm gonna say his picking style has a lot to do with it. It really makes a difference. I always cut my tone back to about a 7 or 8 on my guitars. I'm a big fan if reverb and use a hint of chorus. But ultimately for cleans, I'm gonna go with the others and say the neck pickup is the best way to achieve that "creaminess." That on top of lighter strumming.

I already use the neck pup but Im not quite getting the sustain that he gets. Would the use of chorus help? What would help to increase the sustain?

I add reverb to increase sustain and yes, make the neck pup higher. The pups might be a factor too. I noticed a big difference in sustain and overall clarity when I took the stock pups out of my explorer and put the EMGs in. Lace sensors in my '89 strat have a hell of a lot more sustain than the stock ones in my 2001 strat.

Check the distance between the neck pup and the strings. Some folks let the strings get to close to the neck pup for optimal sound/sustain.

Just measured the distance on my main guitar. There is a 5mm gap.

I add reverb to increase sustain and yes, make the neck pup higher. The pups might be a factor too. I noticed a big difference in sustain and overall clarity when I took the stock pups out of my explorer and put the EMGs in. Lace sensors in my '89 strat have a hell of a lot more sustain than the stock ones in my 2001 strat.

The stock pups are very good fairly high gain rockfield Select Wound Custom so I dont really want to swap them because I get a really nice sound from them and they're very versatile. I will try increasing the amount of reverb I use as I only currently use it very subtly.

I'm pretty much there with DAS44.

To get 'Cream Live'...

LP R0; Neck p-up ('57 Classic); Vol 8; Tone 2.5 - 3;

Amp (Music Man 2x12 combo) set to (from left to right); Channel 2; Input 1; Bright - On; Ch Vol - 7; Treble - 10; Mid - 0; Bass - 0; Rev - 4.5; Trem Sp & Int - Off; Deep - Off; Master Vol 3.

Works a treat.

P.

That's not what I think of when I think of creamy tone but I get what your after.

There is a lot that can go into it. Part of Carlos' sound comes from the amp(s) he uses and the settings including the volume. I believe he is probably using a volume pedal to hold long sustaining notes.

We know he uses Mesa a lot or used to as well as a Dumble. I believe he has recenty bought a Bludo Tone amp too.

So would the volume of the amp affect creamyness and sustain aswell?

Running at 3/4 Vol instead of 1/4 Vol can make an enormous difference in tone (and neighbourly relations...) depending on your rig.

Carlos Santana also used a few pedals to help him find 'His' tone.

Most people agree he used a Sustainer; a fair few claim he used an Electro-Harmonix 'Big Muff Pi'; he also uses harmonically-induced feedback to a very great extent (don't try this at home!).

I was listening to a recently-released Santana 'Best Of' compilation disc over the Xmas break. The tracks spanned the five decades from the late '60s to 2010.

On every track he sounded exactly like Carlos Santana. It didn't matter which guitar; which amp; what pedals he was using. He sounded like Himself. That's quite an achievement...

It also puts into perspective, IMHO, the relative Values and Merits of 'Inherent Ability' and 'Equipment Used'.

P.

When I think of creamy tones I don't naturally associate it with the warmer tone. I think of it as the type of distortion - not grainy or harsh. This could be with the neck pup or bridge - lower tone or higher.

Generally I think of someone like Robbin Ford starting around 1:45 in the following video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7E_iWuvofQ

Archived