Gibson Brands Forums

How to get creamy tones

krock

In his 2007 autobiography, Clapton wrote that he was seeking to emulate King’s thin, searing sound during the sessions. But when he plugged the instrument into his Marshall combo with the amp’s volume turned full up, set the Les Paul’s pickup selector to the bridge position, and turned the bass up on his Les Paul’s and his amp’s tone knobs, it gave him a full, rich tone that made his vibrato sing, sustain and simmer into feedback at his command. Listening to E.C.’s tone on Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton, it’s easy to hear how he was able to step that sound up with the larger Marshall amps and the wah-wah pedal he used in Cream to create his famed “Woman Tone.”

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/clapton-week-1223/

I use the tone control, a lot...for my "Creamy" tones. EC's "woman tone," or otherwise.

Backing off, just a bit, fattens things up, and takes the hard edge off. One can get

near ES-335 tone (round and fat) with a LP or even and SG, by simply adjusting the tone

control...and sometimes the volume control, a bit, too. Backing off, the tone control

even more, and things get even "creamier!" I really love using them both...and pretty

much leave the amp alone, after I set it the way I like.

CB

Like most people say, neck pickup and the tone down to 2 or 3 for the "woman tone". Then into a germanium transistor treble booster (I use a strangemaster) then to a Boss BD-2 and into a tube amp. Works well into a solid state amp as well but not as good. The treble booster gets rid of the mud and gives lots of rich sustain and the BD-2 lets you play at normal levels. I (try to) play Clapton on a 339 and it sounds good to me.

My Opinion of creamy tone.

Jetter Gear Jet Drive through a Twin Reverb with Delay.

oh yea

It seems I'm another one who hasent heard of this guy. He's pretty awesome though and has great tone and playing ability.

Archived