Gibson Brands Forums

List your best tips for anything music related

krock

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to better myself as a guitarist, so I thought I'd start a thread where hopefully all of you guys and girls will list your best tips so others can learn from you.I'll start.

My best tip is to play with passion. I find when if I really enjoy what I'm playing, I tend to perform better. If you dont enjoy the musical genre you've got yourself into then change, because you will never appreciate what you are doing or play with passion.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take your time and experiment with all of your equipment and discover what it does and how to get the best sounds out of it. Do this especially with your amp. For example, learn what the difference is in sound between just the preamp making the majority of the distortion compared to having the power tubes make the distortion (yes that means turning up and playing loud).

Play with passion. You may be able to play fast. But without passion it'll be rubbish. Also, it's better to play less notes better than more notes bad. Practice bends and hold the note a short while before bringing vibrato in. Don't do your vibrato too fast. It sounds crap. I tell kids to play a few notes and then try to play them with feel. ie, Joe Walsh. You'll be surprised how good a few notes can sound when you put feeling in. Listen to Santana, Schon etc.

Buy a guitar you are wholly in love with.

You will want to spend all your time with it and your playing will improve at an increased pace because you are never apart.

After that listen to everyone you can. Even if you don't like them you'll learn something.

Pay close attention to those whose passion matches your own and learn from their playing.

P.

Rest your pick hand properly, using your fingers on the pickguard or body and even your palm on the bridge, depending on the style. Picking without supporting your hand can lead to very sloppy playing. Of course when you are strumming, you don't rest your hand. This may be obvious, but I've seen several people trying to play leads with their hands floating in mid air.

Also, as said before. Play your notes with a passion. Don't try to play too fast. Stay with the tempo. And, don't try to out-do the vocalist or other instrument during their time to shine. You'll get your turn, everyone does.

Learn to control your volume, being subtle when needed and crank it when it calls for it. This does not always mean using the knobs. You can control it with your attack on the strings and sometimes, this is better, because it gets back to the passion comment.

Build your own pedals to get that classic sound you may be looking for. You can almost always find a kit with high quality parts so you can build your own "boutique" pedal without getting ripped off. Soldering is not hard ! Do your own wicked paint job !

P.S. Lots of great amp kits out there too. Want point to point hand wiring ? Do it yourself ! Its fun ! You learn ! People think your smart !

P.S.S Learn ( and use ) the Major Scale !

Buy a guitar you are wholly in love with.

You will want to spend all your time with it and your playing will improve at an increased pace because you are never apart.

After that listen to everyone you can. Even if you don't like them you'll learn something.

Pay close attention to those whose passion matches your own and learn from their playing.

P.

Great advise Pippy...I got the first one down four-fold...Your absolutely right about getting a guitar your proud of and never want to spend apart from...Gonna have to try open up my horizons more and try to learn from others that I may not have originally listened too...

Choose an amp you'll actually be able to use. If your 17 and live with your parents, you don't need a Marshall stack. Low wattage amps are the way to go.

Check out your favorite guitar players to see who their influences were, then check them out to see who their influences were. Listen to them, and you might find your musical tastes growing and your play expanding.

Choose an amp you'll actually be able to use. If your 17 and live with your parents, you don't need a Marshall stack. Low wattage amps are the way to go.

Check out your favorite guitar players to see who their influences were, then check them out to see who their influences were. Listen to them, and you might find your musical tastes growing and your play expanding.

Good one. I once asked a guitar tutor about studying Peter Greens style and he sent me off to study Freddie King. :unsure:

Don't waste your time noodling. Decide what your going to practise and do just that. Practise, practise, practise.

Gotta disagree, Lenny Breau was a huge noodler. Some say thats how he discovered the harp harmonics on the guitar, by noodling.

Also theres two kinds of noddling, bad and good noodling. :D

Gotta disagree, Lenny Breau was a huge noodler. Some say thats how he discovered the harp harmonics on the guitar, by noodling.

Also theres two kinds of noddling, bad and good noodling. :D

I must be a really bad noodler. When I just noodle I seem to play lots of bits I know so it doesn't stretch me.

Archived