Gibson Brands Forums

List your best tips for anything music related

krock

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take all advice (even the things in this thread) as opinions and not as gospel truth. This is especially true of internet forums in general. Always investigate what you are told yourself - and don't just take someones word for it - no matter how much you hold them in high regard.

Lastly (like the above) don't be afraid of doing your own thing; eg not buying into something just because lots of people say that this is the way to go (whether it is buying in the sense of purchasing gear, or in a metaphorical sense - ie buying into a way of thinking)...

but also don't ignore something, if it speaks to you and is hugely popular. In short, just make sure you can live with things and don't care what others think.

Just be single minded and remember it is only you against you and it doesn't matter who is a slower or faster learner than you...than means nothing and thinking about it just cramps your own sound...oh yeah!! one more thing, Just be happy and remember it is called playing music and playing should be fun!! msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Matt

I listen to Freddie King a lot and also Magic Sam from the same era. You can hear a lot of SRV in Magic Sam.

When I hear SRV, all I hear is a hot rodded Albert King

....meanwhile, back to the thread. I had my Fender Pro Jr for 3 years before I realized it sounded soooo much better with the volume at 6 or 7 instead of full

Matt hit it on the head.

Just because Sl00sh plays a Marshall fullstack doesn't mean you need to. Everything is an opinion and things work differently for each person

Oh, and just play. Talk to a lot of people. Nothing beats a combination of knowledge and experience and ability

Okay... from an old guy with a few scars.

1. Do NOT play with passion. Play with memory of passion. There's a difference and it can be done in almost any style from classical to rock to folk to country...

Why? Note some of T.S. Eliot's "criticism" of poets from the romantic era and switch that over to performance of music. Stuff like, "I fall on the thorns of life, I bleed" accompanied by real tears usually brings a somewhat overcooked performance.

2. Absolutely "yes" on a guitar you're very comfortable with. Call that "love" if you will. I call it "bonding" instead. But I'd add with strings and setup that almost play themselves with whatever your style might be.

3. Another advantage to reflective emotion in the piece is that it probably is less likely to be affected by combinations of stage "fright," odd happenings on and around the stage, etc. "Playing" in the sense of deriving joy from doing all the technical side, even in a painful blues type of thing brings less sensitivity to distraction than a current emotional outlet. Matt Sear hit that one well, too.

An example of that too is recording something, even if it's "just" a practice session. The first time through tends to have edges of emotion and stuff you dislike on playback. By the fourth or fifth time usually the emotion is more reflective and the performance smoother. In the old days they'd rehearse like crazy in the studio, then take a deep breath and aim for one take.

Of course all the above may be taken with a grain of salt.

Edit: Beyond a guitar you can bond with, equipment is just there for general sound; overdoing concern with that, IMHO, detracts from performance.

m

The only advice I can give (because I suck and my taste in music is awful, I like shredding OMG I have no taste derp derp) is to start to practice humming melodies and then playing them--and, if you like a phrase, to be able to notate or record them in some way or another. That's the essence of composition, I think--being able to articulate imaginary melodies as tangible expressions.

Also, work on articulation--bends, vibrato, trills, things like that. That's how all the greats manage to do what everyone calls "feeling."

I think it's smart to play both acoustic and electric. First, why limit yourself to only one type of guitar. Play as many different ones as you can. And second, there may be times when electricity is not around. So go unplugged as well.

But the very best advice I can give is:

Play every day.

Play every day.

Play every day.

Practice all the time......

1.Stay humble (there's always someone better than you.)

2. Play with other musicians. (Preferably more advanced than yourself)

3. Listen. (No really turn yourself down and listen to what the others are playing)

4. Ask questions.( I never met an accomplished musician that didn't want to share their wealth of information)

5. Find your instrument. (playing expensive equipment is pretty cool but that doesn't mean it's right for you. Play as many different brands and styles as you can. Find the ONE.

6. And don't ever and I do mean ever play Stairway to Heaven or Sweet Child o' Mine in a guitar store........

Learn all the music theory you can, then forget about it when you play...

Echos of the great man Charlie Parker!!! a plus one for you sir LOL!!

"You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail"

Some good advice but remember as others have said free advice is often worth just what you paid for it. The only free advice I'd add is get a Metronome and practice songs with it. Especially if your a beginner, there's not much in life that makes it harder to play guitar with somebody than them not being able to keep time. You don't want the person screwing everything up to be you.

Archived