write your original lyrics down (not just keep them in your head), and

record your original music, on tape, or CD, so you have automatic

copyright proof. If you play "covers," of other people's copyright material,

you, or the venue you play in, could be subject to ASCAP/BMI penalties, ranging

from $30,000 to $150,000 dollars (PER SONG!). They don't have the resources,

(yet, anyway) to go after every person or band, but they can (and do) make it

nearly impossible, to get "gigs" in venues, if you play unauthorized, unpaid

royalties, "Cover" songs.

This is fast becoming a real problem, especially for venues, who hire bands.

Many venues, are hiring only the "original material only" bands, or NOT hiring

bands, at all...because of the ASCAP/BMI threats.

If you think I'm exagerating, or kidding...see the "Remember the BMI-ASCAP Discussion"

thread, here in the Lounge.

We (my band) recently became an unwitting "victim" of this, when we tried to book a

venue, we had played in, successfully, several times before, and were told that they

were no longer hiring ANY bands, because of their (recent) ASCAP/BMI threats. And,

this is out here, in the "Sticks," not in a larger City.

So, be aware, my friends! ;>b

CB

That all seems a bit harsh msp_crying.gif

In the UK Charlie you can get permission for your covers and just pay a very small fee. The musicians union are very helpful with performing and recording songs.

On a related issue the online indie label cd baby will sort everything out for you when covering an other artists work when doing a recording.

Matt

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That all seems a bit harsh msp_crying.gif

In the UK Charlie you can get permission for your covers and just pay a very small fee. The musicians union are very helpful with performing and recording songs.

On a related issue the online indie label cd baby will sort everything out for you when covering an other artists work when doing a recording.

Matt

Yeah, I thought so, too...Matt. Being away from playing music, for 30 years,

(I stopped playing, in 1972, and only recently (2004) started getting back to it)

I've had some interesting experiences, getting back into it. This is just one

of them. ;>b It was never a problem, "back in the day," or if it was...no one

knew it, outside the Recording, Publishing, Musician's Union Industry. Meaning,

your everyday playing, non-professional, musician. But...ignorance, is no excuse,

I guess. ;>b LOL

CB

CB:

Yupper on it all.

I think b.m.-eye and donkey-cap are hitting smaller communities exactly to shut down live music so their "agents" can get their last number of years before the house may come tumbling down. The record-sales and sheet music publishing biz has disappeared and I think these guys are looking for their last paychecks any way they can.

I'm still convinced they hurt even the "biggies" by current tactics. Yeah, the biggies are the only ones getting a real check from these two ***-ociations, but fewer and fewer bands are sayin' stuff like, "And this is Luke Lukey's latest number one hit, 'Watchin' the paint dry.'"

So everybody loses except some folks in those two ... groups ... who still manage to get a paycheck. The handwriting on the wall goes back to radio so folks could hear music and not necessarily need to buy recordings or published sheet music. That handwriting should definitely have been seen with the cassette recorder and folks could tape stuff they liked from the radio. Sure, it's not the same quality as a good recording, but a lot less expensive, especially in areas where one can't even find a store that specializes in such stuff.

m

CB:

Yupper on it all.

I think b.m.-eye and donkey-cap are hitting smaller communities exactly to shut down live music so their "agents" can get their last number of years before the house may come tumbling down. The record-sales and sheet music publishing biz has disappeared and I think these guys are looking for their last paychecks any way they can.

I'm still convinced they hurt even the "biggies" by current tactics. Yeah, the biggies are the only ones getting a real check from these two ***-ociations, but fewer and fewer bands are sayin' stuff like, "And this is Luke Lukey's latest number one hit, 'Watchin' the paint dry.'"

So everybody loses except some folks in those two ... groups ... who still manage to get a paycheck. The handwriting on the wall goes back to radio so folks could hear music and not necessarily need to buy recordings or published sheet music. That handwriting should definitely have been seen with the cassette recorder and folks could tape stuff they liked from the radio. Sure, it's not the same quality as a good recording, but a lot less expensive, especially in areas where one can't even find a store that specializes in such stuff.

m

I hear that! There aren't but a few "recorded music" stores, around here, anymore. We have to

go to Walmart, (or...more often, buy "on-line" (Amazon.com, etc.), to even FIND anything that's not

"New Country," or "Classic Rock" compilations). It's getting nearly impossible, to find single

albums (CD's) of a lot of "Classic Rock," or even later ('70's, 80's and even '90's) artists.

It's all compilations, or "Greatest Hits," stuff. That's ok...BUT, we all know, that a lot of

great stuff, were not always "Hits" on the radio, or charts. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a Luddite,

in that I want an Album, CD, of music, and not just downloaded files. I like the artwork, liner

notes, etc., that they used to have on Albums. Not to mention, the often more interesting songs,

on any individual's or band's albums. So...???

CB

I have a theory that we are entering an era of lack of "things."

If one has a "computer," soon it will cover everything else from "typewriter" to "letters" to "books," music and video collections... even a fireplace sans warmth and need for an exhaust.

Even guitar amps have more capability so we "need" less "stuff."

Every man used to have a suit even if it were a moth-eaten, 20-year-old "funerals only" thing. The closet had such stuff, a wide range of clothing. Now? Not really.

Note there are lots of gadgets, but...

I think we in the western world are in for a ride to discover what it is like in a truly overpopulated human environment. Tokyo and Seoul might be the paradigm for our future.

So... where does music copyright enter? Probably with Bill Gates' digital perspective on it. If we have our entertainment files only on a "cloud," they can simply confiscate it.

Regardless, BMI, ASCAP and the musician all quite likely lose.

Geez, I'm getting cynical.

"The eyes are not here

"There are no eyes here

"In this valley of dying stars

"In this hollow valley

"This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms"

m

Pace yourself when soloing or improvising. Don't play everything you know in the first seconds. If you're the lead guitarist, know that you have to have new and refreshing things from the beginning to the end of the gig/jam. So, always learn new things and try variations of the old stuff you know.

Pace yourself when soloing or improvising. Don't play everything you know in the first seconds. If you're the lead guitarist, know that you have to have new and refreshing things from the beginning to the end of the gig/jam. So, always learn new things and try variations of the old stuff you know.

Yeah, and why is it, that I can never remember everything that I (DO) know, when I need it?! LOL!

CRS, and/or AADD really sucks!

Yeah, and why is it, that I can never remember everything that I (DO) know, when I need it?! LOL!

CRS, and/or AADD really sucks!

Hah, the more you practice the more it becomes a part of you without having to think about it. I know whacha mean though, jelly bean... [biggrin]

Hah, the more you practice the more it becomes a part of you without having to think about it. I know whacha mean though, jelly bean... [biggrin]

And I know what you mean. Like I've practiced improv scale bluesy riffs so many times its second nature now and my finger work I'd say is pretty good at those scales

Archived