Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite strings for Les Pauls?

Dr. Gonzo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DR Tite-fits. 10-52 on one LP, DR DDT 12-60 on the other. I have the 12-60 tuned in DADGAD half step down. The thicker gages keeps the strings from flopping all over the place.

Playing what's practically a bass string took a little getting used to at first, but now I really dig it.

Hello guys! Since the first time I've tried Elixir Nanoweb strings, I am using them on both of my guitars, and it would be very hard to please me with another brand! They are brilliant, sound almost new even after 4 months! Any other strings I've tried died after 2-3 weeks (I play about 2-3 hours a day). DR is very good as well.

Currently I'm using DR Pure Blues 10-46 on the SGs and D'addario XL on the LPs (just because I had a few extra sets). I wouldn't mind trying the Gibson Reissues or another all nickel string. Any comparisons between the Pure Blues VS. Vintage Re-Issues?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've used Ernie Ball 10's for over 40 years plus! Prior to slinkies, I just dropped the the A string to low E, wound G to D, etc...and got a banjo string for the high E.

Few months ago, I got the usual box of EB 10's and almost all the high E string unravelled at the ball end! I found a box of GHS 10's for sale for about $20+ bucks/10 sets...bought 5 boxes. I must say it was a great buy for the money and it sounds brilliant!

I still have boxes of 20 year old Gibson 9's that I rather not use...too light and seems like the high E is not as full sounding as 10s.

Anybody knows who makes the majority of strings in the U.S. and who just private labels them?...just wondering. [confused]

I usually use Gibson Vintage Reissue 10s...unless i need a 'shitload' in one go,then i buy bulk multipacks of d'addario 10's...i find these decent quality for a fair price.

Some people dislike gibson strings...i've never had a problem with any.....i also like the brite-wires.

I feel lonely here at .11-.49 D'Addario EXL115s. But they sound great and sustain very nicely. The e doesn't feel like it's about to shave the pads off my finger tips.

I buy them 10 sets at a time for 33.00 a box from GC online. 3.30 a set or around 3.50 with shipping. Free if my order is large enough.

I usually play a few hours a day (recently quit smoking) and get a few weeks out of a set. Haven't broken a single one yet. Though that maybe just that I'm green.

Well For the longest time I was using Ernie Ball Super Slinky, then I went to GHS Boomers but I kept breaking strings.

I've been using Dunlop 10-46 gauge strings, I haven't broke a string, I get all tunings from Standard to drop d, Drop C, Drop B, C standard and not once have I broken String and they don't rust like other strings.

Dunlop strings are my choice, that's just my opinion.

I love Dunlop strings, and 10-46 are great for live and studio. I used to use 10-52, but was much slower in leads on the lower strings. I use 9's sometimes on certain guitars other than LPs. I think LPs work well with thicker strings.

Archived