Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar stand??

sparky scott 29

Do any of you guys out here know, if a guitar stand like this, will be alright with ALL guitars finishes??msp_confused.gif

It says it does, but.. those new cellrouse, sorry spelling, those finishes don't play well with some stands..

I use a sock on my current stands...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RockStdF7/

Any comment, of course, will be appreciated.... Thanx...

I use one like that, but no matter what they say about nitro compatibility, I use cotton clothes/towels.

Towels on the bottom rails and wash clothes on the top (see pic).

I like black cotton, but wash them before using them to make sure the color is stable.

Rack.jpg

I keep all my nitrocellulose lacquer high end guitars in a case except for short durations in stands,but that being said,short term is ok but I would keep all the poly finishes in it with no worry but you may want to store your high dollar gibsons with a terry towel between guitar and the foam rubber-I dont know how long it takes but I am not willing to find out

I keep all my nitrocellulose lacquer high end guitars in a case except for short durations in stands,but that being said,short term is ok but I would keep all the poly finishes in it with no worry but you may want to store your high dollar gibsons with a terry towel between guitar and the foam rubber-I dont know how long it takes but I am not willing to find out

Ya know, that's what I'm thinking...

If you read the info. on the foam on that stand, it says that, and I have always,

used a sock with a stand, and the higher price ones usually stay in their own homes, safe and warm..

I just think that's B.S. that the company would say all finishes, but, I am sorta thinking of not believing them for some reason..

Less than 2 hours.

I put my les paul back down on a foot rest and dozed off...Two hours later I got up, picked up my Paul to put away and the pattern of the fabric material was on the back of the guitar.

I guess that I was lucky, that I found out before hand..

But that, just plain sucks man...

I've stayed out of this sorta discussion over the years but here's another thing to think about.

I've got a cupla stands that fold nicely yet are pretty stable. Ain't used 'em in over 30 years.

Why? I don't know anybody who can't be an occasional klutz. Me included.

If I were doing a two-guitar gig, I'd probably use one. But otherwise? Baby goes in the case even during breaks nowadays. And did my last cupla years of band-type gigging yea those many years ago. <grin> Call it cowardice. I don't mind. Ain't gotten so many chips or whatever since I just about lost one guitar and decided, nope, ain't doin' it. In fact, it's bad enuf sometimes putting baby in the case in crowded quarters.

m

... I don't know anybody who can't be an occasional klutz. Me included. ... Baby goes in the case even during breaks nowadays. ...

For all you case lovers, and occasional klutzes -

I've heard some bad case stories too. I remember one here where the guy had his guitar sitting in the case with the top up . . . the case top got accidently knocked down hard, somehow damaging the top of the guitar. The guy was beside himself with grief and remorse.

The best laid plans and intentions . . . .

Klutzie accidents can happen at anytime, anywhere, with anything. :(

BigK...

Yupper...

In fact... lost a chip off a semi's peghead a cupla years ago when the lid closed when it shouldn't ought to have. And the thing was sitting on a pool table so it shouldn't have happened. And yes, I normally close the case, but this is while I was putting the thing into the case. Musta rocked it toward me just enuf to....

But... even that sorta thing is better than some stand dances I've seen.

m

I have a couple I always leave in the case, except to play..

I don't play hardly any gigs, just buddies hoses and basements, or pole barns in summer..

I personally think I don't play all mine, since they are scattered around the house all the time.

So for my " regular " guitars that are my so called grunts, I think if I had them out in one place, I would use them more often..

And, YES I too have a tendency to lean some of my guitars against things, before you know it, it's a OOPPSS!!!!!msp_flapper.gif

So in my case ( no pun intended ), I believe it would be a good thing..

... But... even that sorta thing is better than some stand dances I've seen. ...

I'll admit - case is the place.

And if any of mine aren't gonna get played, I case 'em.

But I find the guitars I have out get played more often. But that's just me.

I'll admit - case is the place.

And if any of mine aren't gonna get played, I case 'em.

But I find the guitars I have out get played more often. But that's just me.

That's exactly what I am thinking..

What about others out there?

Do you play your guitars more often when they are in the open,

meaning like on a rack or something similar??

I play mine a lot more when they are handy.

That's why I have the set-up I have.

Nitro cellulose lacquer is NEVER fully "dried" or "hardened" in the sense that most people expect.

It's that way by design, so it's not a quality issue or any kind of dirty secret.

It's just lacquer.

It WILL react with ANY sort of petroleum product it comes in contact with.

The only variable is the amount of time required to do so.

Days, week, months, years?

Only one way to find out for sure - leave your guitar on it until you see the damage.

THERE'S your answer.

Took a couple of months for me on a Les Paul and ES-335.

There's no fixing it - it's forever.

Got permanent dark shadows on the edge and back of those guitars...

Foam rubber is petroleum based.

Almost any type of soft, pliable material is.

White cotton (I cut up some bath towels) is the only way to go.

Inert, no dyes to leach out, and will not harm anything if it's clean.

Wash it in hot water with no fabric softener as needed to get out the dust it collects.

(Dust scratches nitro all to hell - especially if it's black...)

See pics in my signature to see what I did to cover my Warwick Rockstands 10 years ago.

Works better than anything else I've ever seen.

Oh, and regarding Milo and his case theory;

He's dead-on.

The case is the BEST place.

But I've seen lotsa handling accidents occur while doing that.

Case on the floor - standing/squatting down with a guitar and banging it into something.

Case on a table/chair/countertop - it slides/tips off and dings the guitar.

The damned LATCHES on a case will do a number on the finish when the lid falls.

PAY ATTENTION to your guitar when you're casing it.

(Ever notice somebody is always chatting with you or looking over your shoulder...???)

Neo....

Absotively right on about the latches!!!!! Somebody should invent some better way. <grin> Actually I had a pickin' buddy too close to 50 years ago who had a case with no latches. Just a batch of belts that attached just like belt buckles. But on the other hand, they both flopped and they didn't really hold the case as I'd consider it "closed." Somebody's gotta figure a better way, but I ain't seen such yet.

It was a latch that chipped that semi a cupla years ago. #@$%#@$%#@%@#$

I have two guitars right next to where I normally play. An acoustic and a semi-hollow electric. Both cased. I play one or the other a bit nearly every day.

Either could be damaged casing and uncasing them.

I just have had fewer relatively major wrecks casing than leaving on stands. So... a klutzy old guy has taken that choice for around 30 years.

m

I actually have the RockStand for my guitars. it works really well.

I have high gloss guitars and the finish on them is still as glossy

as can be. my "worn" or non-buffed guitars, well yea.

How bad, or, how good was it to put together?

And, how sturdy is this thing??

Has time hurt it much??

I mean, I don't want to walk on it, but you get my drift......trampoline.gif

That brings up that same question, Why does the box and company say, all finishes, when we all know better..

I mean, if you want to get technical, If it really did harm our guitars, how can we prove it??

Ya can't , not really. anyways....

The companies should be held for false advertising.... Just saying...

But, if you look at the picture on sweetwater, it shows the box, and it says that it's fine for ALL finishes...screwloose.gif

I've got all six of mine on two of these and have had zero problems.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hercules-Stands-GS432B-Tri-Stand-Guitar-Stand-102500188-i1142257.gc

I keep them out because I play them all, not equally, but still play them all. And though my oldest Carvin and my ole' Strat have mileage related scratches and such, they are from the moron handling the guitar, that would be me [forgot I had a belt on, etc.], not from the guitar stand.

My baby, the Carvin CS6, has only one ding on it and it was from putting it in the freakin' case.

I do for health reasons have the humidity in my house pretty tightly regulated which I am sure helps and I don't have sunlight hitting them.

I do have color bleed on my Lifeson but it's the same color bleed everyone with Lifesons have . . . just that junk white paint, not related to where the stands grab or support the guitar.

I use a Hercules stand for my bass. Very short periods of time however. With two dogs, a lot of dust in the house, and myself being the closest thing to a bull in the China shop, the hardshell case is the safest place.

A good heavy stand is impossible to find anymore.

I still prefer an A-frame without a neck support.

You can bump a guitar on an A-frame it will lean a little and stay put.

With the neck support, it will lean slightly with the stand and then go on over.

The main consideration is traffic.

Can you put a stand someplace outta the way?

Kids and pets don't give a flying fxxk about your guitar.

Neither does company or drunks.

If it's in an out-of-the-way corner you MIGHT be okay.

Stands will always have some vulnerability.

I watch as you stand 5 for 5 guitars, but I looked too trouce the guitar even if it is to avoid a fall. Moreover it is not suited to my shape of my Jaguar, which has a tendency to tip.

So I bought the black for 7 guitars.

http://www.musik-produktiv.fr/rockstand-stand-pour-valise-7stagetw.aspx

It is more convenient and attractive, there are more security at the top of the handle to avoid falling even for my Jaguar!

This is what it gives! We see the booth at the back of the room.

But sometimes I use my old because all can not fit on the new

110125110052801137530797.jpg

A good heavy stand is impossible to find anymore.

I still prefer an A-frame without a neck support.

You can bump a guitar on an A-frame it will lean a little and stay put.

With the neck support, it will lean slightly with the stand and then go on over.

The main consideration is traffic.

Can you put a stand someplace outta the way?

Kids and pets don't give a flying fxxk about your guitar.

Neither does company or drunks.

If it's in an out-of-the-way corner you MIGHT be okay.

Stands will always have some vulnerability.

Thanks guys, for all your input into this.

My guitars that will be on or in a stand, WILL be outta the way from ANY traffic, whatsoever.

My prides of joy will stay in their homes, and pulled out for use only, as I have been doing right along.

I don't have enough cases for guitars ratio, and the Epi's and few others will go on to a stand...

I think I will order the 7 holder from Sweetwater... Seems the logical choice to me...

Check out this link to types of latches:

McMaster-Carr draw latches

Type "A" is what is usually found on guitar cases. The strike side of the latch has a tang, or should we say "fang" that aligns with the slot in the draw side of the latch. This fang hangs below the edge of the lid and, when it falls on a guitar, takes a hunk of guitar with it.

Styles "C" and "G" do not have this strike plate, but rather would, if used on a guitar case, grasp the face edge of the case, thereby omitting the offending fang.

Other types could be employed with the striker plate if it were installed so that the strike plate did not protrude below the edge of the lid.

Honestly, I don't think the fang is needed for alignment as the lid itself does a bang up job aligning itself as there is a mating ogee edge on both the lid and case. Truth be told, one might be able to de-fang an existing draw latch and not harm the functionality. Either clip it of with a side cutters or farrier's end nippers. Then using a drift, drive the remaining edge up into the usually hollow body of that part of the striker plate.

However, any strike plate that leaves a metal edge, even on the face of the lid can gouge a guitar body if it falls with a glancing blow. Styles "C" and "G", seem to be the safest, as the edge is left free of any metallic fangs.

If you scroll down to type "M", this one is made of plastic and would be less likely to take a hunk out of 'Trigger' should the lid fall. And.. they are only 87¢ each!

One other thing that bugs me about the design of my case, is that there is a small strap designed into it so that the lid doesn't flop over 180° from closed. Presumably to keep from damaging the hinges. This strap holds the lid at just over 90° from closed. As such it is very susceptible to being jostled over center and falling closed. If it were 5mm longer it would hold the lid over center the other direction and more stable.

Maybe a gas spring or mechanical lid prop like they put on toy box lids that will hold the lid at any position until it is pushed closed. How about hinges with a catch that has a detent that needs to be over come to close the lid so that it doesn't fall on it's own.

Gibson? Are you listening? TKL? Are you listening?

Archived